Choosing A levels?! Help????

Watch this thread
username1514999
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to study Law / Law with criminology at University. I have decided to take English Literature and Art. I need to choose another two subject options. I have narrowed my remaining three down to Spanish, Religious Studies and Physics. Can anyone advice me on which of these three I should disregard?I know Art is considered a 'soft' subject but I love it and my school have an amazing art department. I figure that with two (or three) harder A Levels it's acceptable to take. My current predictions in these subjects are: English Lit- A*...Art- A*...Rs- A*...Spanish- A...Phsyics- A...Although predicted A*s and As in everything apart from biology...I am not interested in taking any others for A level, and am apprehensive about taking up subjects I haven't done for cse (ie. law, politics, economics etc).Without physics would my options look unacademic? any advice welcome! Thanks!
lilixxx1000
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I would say definitely take RS as you got an A* at GCSE and it is an essay subject which is good for law. Both Spanish and Physics are considered 'hard' subjects by universities so your options will still look academic whichever you pick. Spanish seems to fit more with your other subjects though as it is more of an essay subject. Also I wouldn't advise that you take physics without maths as I've heard it's quite difficult. So I would say: English lit, Art, RS and Spanish.
username1514999
Rep:
(Original post by lilixxx1000)
I would say definitely take RS as you got an A* at GCSE and it is an essay subject which is good for law. Both Spanish and Physics are considered 'hard' subjects by universities so your options will still look academic whichever you pick. Spanish seems to fit more with your other subjects though as it is more of an essay subject. Also I wouldn't advise that you take physics without maths as I've heard it's quite difficult. So I would say: English lit, Art, RS and Spanish.
Thanks! I think I might do that.. I struggle a bit with Spanish although finding it really fun...but my cousin in law has offered to gives privet tutoring so I have help available
HollieAMarie
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
To study law, essay based subjects are best, this includes subjects such as English and History. Alongside this you should study subjects known as facilitating subjects - subjects that open up a variety of options as they are the most commonly asked for A-Levels, these include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and any Modern Foreign Language. Taking English is therefore a great idea! RS is also an essay based subject so this is a really good A-level to have (it also teaches good argument skills which is great for Law). In terms of Physics and Spanish, taking AS Physics without Maths is fine if you have a good understanding of GCSE Mathematics, however at A2 you will need to have an understanding of AS Mathematics. This would require some outside study if you wish to continue Physics to A2, which is something to consider. Spanish is an MFL so also counts as a facilitating subject, provided you enjoy, understand and believe you can do well in Spanish at A-level then this may be the way to go if you are unsure of which subject you may want to drop.

Hope this helps!
username1514999
Rep:
(Original post by HollieAMarie)
To study law, essay based subjects are best, this includes subjects such as English and History. Alongside this you should study subjects known as facilitating subjects - subjects that open up a variety of options as they are the most commonly asked for A-Levels, these include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and any Modern Foreign Language. Taking English is therefore a great idea! RS is also an essay based subject so this is a really good A-level to have (it also teaches good argument skills which is great for Law). In terms of Physics and Spanish, taking AS Physics without Maths is fine if you have a good understanding of GCSE Mathematics, however at A2 you will need to have an understanding of AS Mathematics. This would require some outside study if you wish to continue Physics to A2, which is something to consider. Spanish is an MFL so also counts as a facilitating subject, provided you enjoy, understand and believe you can do well in Spanish at A-level then this may be the way to go if you are unsure of which subject you may want to drop.

Hope this helps!
Yes it does thank you! Okay I might scrap the idea of physics... I don't want to already be planning on dropping it after AS incase I end up really hating any of my other options. Will my options still be open with English lit, art, rs and span?
HollieAMarie
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kiera28)
Yes it does thank you! Okay I might scrap the idea of physics... I don't want to already be planning on dropping it after AS incase I end up really hating any of my other options. Will my options still be open with English lit, art, rs and span?
English Literature, Art, RS and Spanish are a strong set of subjects and having an Arts subject in there gives you variety. I think you'll still have a variety of options available to you.

Be prepared to do lots of writing! Good luck!
username1514999
Rep:
(Original post by HollieAMarie)
English Literature, Art, RS and Spanish are a strong set of subjects and having an Arts subject in there gives you variety. I think you'll still have a variety of options available to you.

Be prepared to do lots of writing! Good luck!
Thanks loads!😋
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads