Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got this at AS Level:
- A in Economics
- A in Maths
- B in Biology
- C in History.

I got an A in one history unit and a D in the other history unit, so I was 1 UMS off of a B. I got the D remarked but it remained the same. I was also predicted an A in history.

I definitely want to drop biology because I didn't enjoy the course at all, it was just a memory test for me.

I was planning on doing history at uni, the 5 choices I had in mind were:
- Cambridge
- Exeter
- Warwick
- Bristol
- Birmingham/Southampton.

If I apply to these unis with my AS grades (AAC), would I get an offer at all? I still believe that I can achieve A*AA, but I doubt the unis will bother offering me a place with my AS grades.

Should I persue these same unis (maybe with the exception of Cambridge)?

Any advice would be lovely, thanks.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Username Name)
I got this at AS Level:
- A in Economics
- A in Maths
- B in Biology
- C in History.

I got an A in one history unit and a D in the other history unit, so I was 1 UMS off of a B. I got the D remarked but it remained the same. I was also predicted an A in history.

I definitely want to drop biology because I didn't enjoy the course at all, it was just a memory test for me.

I was planning on doing history at uni, the 5 choices I had in mind were:
- Cambridge
- Exeter
- Warwick
- Bristol
- Birmingham/Southampton.

If I apply to these unis with my AS grades (AAC), would I get an offer at all? I still believe that I can achieve A*AA, but I doubt the unis will bother offering me a place with my AS grades.

Should I persue these same unis (maybe with the exception of Cambridge)?

Any advice would be lovely, thanks.
Although universities obviously take into consideration your grades, they will also look at your UCAS PS and your references. If you are not sure about whether they will offer, you may decide that you want to put 2/3 of those on your choices, have a mid-way (maybe AAA/AAB) and then a ABB for the final choice.

If this were me, then that is what I would do, but it is a decision that myself, and no one else can make for you, and I just hope that this gives you maybe a bit of advice as to what to do!
Username Name
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Although universities obviously take into consideration your grades, they will also look at your UCAS PS and your references. If you are not sure about whether they will offer, you may decide that you want to put 2/3 of those on your choices, have a mid-way (maybe AAA/AAB) and then a ABB for the final choice.

If this were me, then that is what I would do, but it is a decision that myself, and no one else can make for you, and I just hope that this gives you maybe a bit of advice as to what to do!
Yeah that's a good idea.

Overall I'd like to go to a well-known and well-respected university, doing a good degree. Seeing as history might not be the best option for me, I have been looking at anthropology and even something business/marketing related or something else slightly more vocational than history. My question with changing pathways to anthropology or business/marketing is 'are those degrees regarded highly by employers?'.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Username Name)
Yeah that's a good idea.

Overall I'd like to go to a well-known and well-respected university, doing a good degree. Seeing as history might not be the best option for me, I have been looking at anthropology and even something business/marketing related or something else slightly more vocational than history. My question with changing pathways to anthropology or business/marketing is 'are those degrees regarded highly by employers?'.
Im not sure about anthropology, but business/marketing is well regarded and will put you in a good position for when you look for a job!
Username Name
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Im not sure about anthropology, but business/marketing is well regarded and will put you in a good position for when you look for a job!
Okay thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (26)
17.11%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
32.24%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.21%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (15)
9.87%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.61%
I think it's an unfair expectation (38)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.97%

Watched Threads