The Student Room Group

Need a little help and guidance

I'm 19, 20 next year and have absolutely blown my a levels despite having resat my as levels and doing reasonably well in them second time round. I've finished my A2's with a C,D,E in Poltics, Economics and Maths. I'm just looking for general advice and wondering what my options are progressing from here. I've been looking at apprenticeships but realistically what are my chances of getting one with my grades, or would you recommend staying in retail and trying to progress that way? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
- Try your luck by entering the clearing process?

- Retake the A2s ? You should be able to push them all to Cs

- If it's some sort of structured apprenticeship you're after with a large company, given the competition, I doubt it's enough unless you have other skills of value to add. Try asking smaller, local businesses / sole traders if they're looking for an apprentice. With no experience you may just have to volunteer to help them out (to begin with). As you go along, just study towards the certifications for that trade in your own time whilst building up experience.

- Ask family members and friends to see if any of their employers are taking apprentices.

- And if all else fails, then yes, you may just have to work your way up in retail.
Reply 2
If you did want to do university you could probably apply successfully to a foundation programme through clearing. Some courses might just take you anyway. If you're not really interested in studying anything in particular at the moment though, you may as well just stay put and try a few different things to see what you're interested in either career-wise or study-wise. You've not done horrendously badly and you can still put them on your CV as having passed them.

If you're living with your parents, take the opportunity to do things like volunteering and stuff around the retail work. Work to live for a while before living to work maybe. You don't need to be in a massive hurry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending