The Student Room Group

Must we go to every lecture?

Hi, so I am going to be studying Physics and Philosophy at Bristol this year, and am looking to make regular flights to Berlin. Must we go to every lecture or is it possible to miss out Friday lectures once a month, and catch up online? Or do they regulate who comes to lectures or who doesn't. Maybe with Physics there are compulsory practicals on Fridays, but maybe someone here knows for example that they never do practicals on Fridays, I don't know. I am aware the timetables are not ready as I already asked Bristol the same question.

So any advice from someone already there would be great, thanks!

Tom

(Hoping this is in the right forum, have also posted it in the Bristol forum but this may be a better place)
If the timetables aren't ready, then no one can tell you that you will or won't have anything on a Friday.

You don't HAVE to attend everything unless attendance is taken. Missing one day once a month shouldn't cause you any difficulties.
Reply 2
Depends on the university how well they track things. My university will track every lecture attended, and they put it on your results slip, and have words if it's an issue. If you're not missing other lectures though, the odd one here and there won't be an issue. I missed odd ones out of laziness, or for interviews, and i'm fine!

Whether the notes are online depends entirely on the lecturer usually. I had some that put everything online all at once, some that did it lecture by lecture, some that just missed some gaps out, and some that never ever even went near the blackboard tool.

You won't have a clear answer until timetables are released though. I had labs 1.30 pm - 5 pm on a Friday in my second year (chem). They're not completely adverse to scheduling things on Fridays :P it'll most likely be fine though, just wait and see.
Reply 3
Nope. Went to 2 or 3 lectures/tutorials for a module and still passed
Reply 4
Attendance monitoring - and penalties for non-attendance - will depend on the individual uni and sometimes even the individual department. A friend of mine was threatened with removal from her course due to low attendance, even though she had a health problem which caused this. Your terms and conditions which cover this, will be somewhere in your uni's small print.

Some unis with a high overseas intake, use lecture attendance as a way of proving to immigration authorities that they're not recruiting foreign students who use uni as a way of getting into the UK to work (turning up to register then disappearing) A fallout of this is that all students' attendance is monitored and there is an official record, which might be the subject of discussion with staff if attendance is low.

In any case, missing one lecture a month if you're just one of a large cohort, probably won't raise too many concerns. But if it's a lab session, seminar or discussion group, missing one in four won't go down well.
missing once a month or something wont be so bad, just make sure you catch up asap and dont fall behind. do the studying on the plane for example, get it out the way. maybe talk to your lecturers you have that day, and see if they can give you that weeks work in advance so you can get it done asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending