Desktop PC or Laptop for Uni

Watch
눈zzz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Will be living in private accommodation and everything will be insured.
I have transport for all of my things so I won't have to carry my PC on a train/plane.

I decided to study computer science and mathematics, I was just wondering if I should take my PC with me to my university accommodation or buy a laptop to take with me >.>

I have no idea what to do as of now, would greatly appreciate any advice from others that have been in this situation.

I kinda wanna know if i do decide to take my PC is it going to be impractical?
Is a laptop just generally better? I'm a pretty big PC gamer like I don't play any console games at all but all I really play now is League of Legends and CS:GO.

Hmm, I guess some other stuff i'd like to know is - How much free time will I actually get, will I be gaming as much as I think I will be?

Thank you!!
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took my PC. I gamed plenty [with ~24 timetabled hours at least, and big part of a society]. I'm taking my PC still, back into fourth year. I didn't have a laptop so I just waited to see if I felt I needed one, but for the gaming aspect I didn't want to suffer

I only missed a laptop very occasionally, i.e. when the library is very full at exam times and I had a long write up to do. Basically, I missed it for about half a week.

If you're doing CompSci it's probably nicer to have a desktop anyway, although i'm not sure. All your maths stuff will be pretty paper based I imagine so you won't miss it for that.

Ideally someone who did CompSci will comment, but for everything else it's fine.
Pryender
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure about the spare time for gaming, but I have both a laptop and PC, i'm going to take both as i think a laptop will be useful for example if want to work in the library or other areas around the campuses. I'm also bringing my pc for gaming and for running any more demanding programs at a better speed.
눈zzz
Rep:
?
Alright thanks for the replies guys, also thinking of maybe taking a desktop for now and picking up a laptop later on if I feel I need to, as you guys said previously about wanting to work in library areas etc :P

(Original post by Nymthae)
Ideally someone who did CompSci will comment, but for everything else it's fine.
Hey Nymthae do you mind sharing what you study? D:
I really hope I can game a lot LOL
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 눈zzz)
Hey Nymthae do you mind sharing what you study? D:
I really hope I can game a lot LOL
Chemistry. I didn't get crazy amounts of time during the day, because I was in my department or nearabouts mostly 9-5, but the evenings have plenty of time, and weekends.
눈zzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nymthae)
Chemistry. I didn't get crazy amounts of time during the day, because I was in my department or nearabouts mostly 9-5, but the evenings have plenty of time, and weekends.
Oki hehe thank you :P
MTennison
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm about to start a computer science course, and I've bought myself a laptop. I personally don't now see the need for a desktop and laptop - I intend to simply plug my laptop into an external display if I need more screen real-estate, and the performance is plenty for what I need.

But I'm not much of a gamer, and laptops aren't great for gaming. Sure, you can get gaming laptops but they're typically far more expensive than comparable desktops and you have to be much more careful about overheating etc.

Given you seem on the fence, I'd recommend taking your desktop and seeing if you have a need for a laptop. If you do, look into getting one, and if not, you've saved yourself some money. I only bought this laptop ahead of time because I was certain it was what I wanted.

Final note: when I was at a Computer Science open day, someone asked this question to the current students. The general consensus was that a laptop was worth considering, especially if your course involves group projects (then you can all easily work together).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (601)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.67%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.46%

Watched Threads