Should I take BTEC Business or BTEC ICT?

Watch
Whatsmyusername
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
-GCSE Business, failed it, got a D
-Passed GCSE Computing with a C
-Got passes in both Maths and English
-This year done AS Applied ICT and got a narrow pass with a D
-Failed miserably in my other A-levels I done
-I am currently thinking of having an IT career, but I find Business/Economics very useful.

I applied to several colleges to do AS Business, AS Economics and to re-do AS ICT. However to the ones I've been so far, I was not allowed entry to Business and Economics, because I failed the former in GCSE (and I failed AS Accounting). I was told I am only allowed to do BTEC Business, not AS.

I can't re-do AS ICT because I'll need two/three other subjects, and with being barred from doing AS Business/Economics, I'm hopeless there.

The people I've spoken to recommended me to do BTEC L3 ICT (Extended Diploma). Then I was speaking to my relatives who told me to do BTEC Business instead, because it leads to more jobs. She told me that there is a lot of IT involved in a BTEC Business course anyway. She said Business has several pathways, instead of just one if I would do BTEC ICT. And she warned me if I change my mind about having an IT career in two years' time, I would be wrecked having done two years of BTEC ICT. With BTEC Business, I would be open to more ways, like finance and marketing courses, as well.

What do you think?
cnova
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Whatsmyusername)
-GCSE Business, failed it, got a D
-Passed GCSE Computing with a C
-Got passes in both Maths and English
-This year done AS Applied ICT and got a narrow pass with a D
-Failed miserably in my other A-levels I done
-I am currently thinking of having an IT career, but I find Business/Economics very useful.

I applied to several colleges to do AS Business, AS Economics and to re-do AS ICT. However to the ones I've been so far, I was not allowed entry to Business and Economics, because I failed the former in GCSE (and I failed AS Accounting). I was told I am only allowed to do BTEC Business, not AS.

I can't re-do AS ICT because I'll need two/three other subjects, and with being barred from doing AS Business/Economics, I'm hopeless there.

The people I've spoken to recommended me to do BTEC L3 ICT (Extended Diploma). Then I was speaking to my relatives who told me to do BTEC Business instead, because it leads to more jobs. She told me that there is a lot of IT involved in a BTEC Business course anyway. She said Business has several pathways, instead of just one if I would do BTEC ICT. And she warned me if I change my mind about having an IT career in two years' time, I would be wrecked having done two years of BTEC ICT. With BTEC Business, I would be open to more ways, like finance and marketing courses, as well.

What do you think?
I've seen a lot of people on here complain about their business degrees after graduation, because it doesn't really give you any specific work. IT is used in every industry, so you will have a lot more work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads