Getting an aux port fitted

Watch
James1389
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I would like to get an aux port installed on my Renault clio and have just had a quite for £50 is this a reasonable quote? I know you can do it yourself but I don't want to
thanks in advance
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can't you get the stereo replaced so you've got usb control?
James1389
Rep:
?
I did briefly look into that but the stereos cost over £100 and I would still need to pay someone to install in
James1389
Rep:
?
That is, the ones I could find
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What stereo do you have in your car? Is it the stock one? How old is your car? If it was made in the last ten years you can most likely buy something that plugs into the back of the stereo to give you aux functionality. If you can read the model name off the front of the stereo, plus the age and spec level of the car, I can find out for you very easily and give you further advice.

If there is no option for that on your stereo, you can get aux capability on even very basic stereos costing around £50 and fit it yourself. You'll probably notice a boost in audio quality at the same time.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-iPod-i...item3a953caaab

If your car is the correct model and you have the correct stereo, will plug right into the back of the stereo and give you the capability you want.

Or, again given the correct and car and stereo, this will allow you to plug in your iPhone/iPod and control it with the stereo/steering wheel controls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Radio-...item51b19b8dc1

Lots of options out there!
James1389
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the help!!!

My car is a 2006 Renault clio but I'm not sure what the stereo is all it says on the front right corner is "update list" but I do know it is the default stereo for that model of car.

Also for the second link would I have to pull my radio out as doesn't that entail taking the whole control button part off which I'm not sure I want to do as it could go wrong, or can you just remove the radio part
ak_93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Let us know what the exact model of your car is, or show a picture of your radio area and maybe someone can advise on if you can do it yourself or not.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by James1389)
I did briefly look into that but the stereos cost over £100 and I would still need to pay someone to install in
You can easily get a stereo for £50
Wiring harness might be £10
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for all the help!!!

My car is a 2006 Renault clio but I'm not sure what the stereo is all it says on the front right corner is "update list" but I do know it is the default stereo for that model of car.

Also for the second link would I have to pull my radio out as doesn't that entail taking the whole control button part off which I'm not sure I want to do as it could go wrong, or can you just remove the radio part
When you go through the menu, is there an option for the aux port? Have a read through those eBay links I posted, they explain in detail how to work out if it will work or not. It does sound promising though, that's the right car and stereo, you just need the aux option in the menu.

You'd need to remove the stereo for either of the cables I posted above. Is your dashboard similar to this?

If so, the stereo pops out with two radio keys. Some kits even include them. Really easy to do. You could probably install the whole iPod/iPhone control kit in less than half an hour.
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The update list stereo only needs a sub £5 cable, we fit one in my sisters; The link posted by Nuffles will work:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-iPod-i...item3a953caaab

Takes about 5 mins to fit and is foolproof, buy a stereo removal tool for 99p from ebay, pull it out, connect the new cable, run it to where you want, we did the little storage place at the bottom of the console, slide the stereo back in.
James1389
Rep:
?
again thanks for the help, here is a picture of my stereo area it looks like it comes out with 4 screws, so seems quite simple,

also me stereo system doesnt have an aux setting on it so how would i access the aux if i were to install one?

And finally can anyone send me a link of a official renault replacement radio that supports usb and/or aux or do they not supply them?
Attached files
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My car had the same layout, i literally had the whole stereo changed a Sony one that came with my previous car.

Personally i think you should have whole stereo changed even if it costs more. You'll find have more options for music input (CD/Aux/USB etc) and far more settings to customise to your taste.
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
again thanks for the help, here is a picture of my stereo area it looks like it comes out with 4 screws, so seems quite simple,

also me stereo system doesnt have an aux setting on it so how would i access the aux if i were to install one?

And finally can anyone send me a link of a official renault replacement radio that supports usb and/or aux or do they not supply them?
My sister has that exact stereo in her clio, if it says update list, like you've been told already it can be done, google will tell you the same in seconds.

Try follow this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39u0ADb3Bf4
James1389
Rep:
?
Oh right I see, so what Sony radios would fit into my clio slot becuase I don't want one that's half hanging out and also as it's an unofficial Renault radio would it devalue the car?

And for the aux way of doing it would I just buy that splitter type thing for 3 quid then undo my radio and plug the splitter in the back and then put aux on my system?
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh right I see, so what Sony radios would fit into my clio slot becuase I don't want one that's half hanging out and also as it's an unofficial Renault radio would it devalue the car?

And for the aux way of doing it would I just buy that splitter type thing for 3 quid then undo my radio and plug the splitter in the back and then put aux on my system?
Yeah, you buy the thing I've linked on eBay and it plugs into the back of the stereo once it's been pulled out. Then you route it out somewhere like into the glove box to keep it neat without wires hanging out everywhere.

It's a standard DIN slot so any radio you buy from Halfrauds or wherever will go straight in, but you might need a fascia (trim of plastic around the edge) to make it blend into the dashboard properly, but these are only a couple of quid. You'll also probably need a harness adapter as the plug on the back of a new stereo will probably be different to a Renault one. It won't devalue the car at all. If you get a different head unit, it'll be a different wire you need to plug in your iPod or whatever. Most stereos come with a front input, so all you'll need then is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

Something like this isn't bad and has a front aux input:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-R331-...rds=car+stereo

Or this one has aux, USB, and Bluetooth

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MEX-N50...rds=car+stereo
James1389
Rep:
?
Ok thank you for all your help, I think I've mad my decision I'm just going to get the aux cable and attempt to fit it myself, sorry be to a hassle but please could you send a link as to where I would buy the tools to unscrew the radio
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.32%
I'm not sure (33)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.79%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (380)
49.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed