How to postpone first year?

Watch
Archiguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys
I've got unconditional offer from University of Westminster but apparently I won't have enaugh money to live in London. Soo.. I was thinking about taking a gap year to work and collect some financial support for my studies time. The thing is that I don't want to go through all application procedures next year. My friend told me that university can keep a place for me for next year if I have doubts now. So here is my main question. Is it possible to postpone starting studies for next year without loosing a place at the university?
RickyShea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think a lot of us are in the same boat mate I'm gonna be broke after my loan pays for my halls but there is work around london and the universities are good at hooking student sup with jobs. I was considering waiting a year but in the end I thought its another year until I get my degree.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Archiguy)
Hi guys
I've got unconditional offer from University of Westminster but apparently I won't have enaugh money to live in London. Soo.. I was thinking about taking a gap year to work and collect some financial support for my studies time. The thing is that I don't want to go through all application procedures next year. My friend told me that university can keep a place for me for next year if I have doubts now. So here is my main question. Is it possible to postpone starting studies for next year without loosing a place at the university?
You can call the university and ask them to defer

However - there are many many students in London and they manage financially

Why are you so sure that you will not manage
Archiguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The problem is that I'm going to study architecture. I heard that it's really time-consuming direction so I'm affraid that I won't be able to work many hours. Secondly it's pretty expensiveAll those materials and tools for projects could eat average student salary in a moment. Do you guys know how students earnings in basic part-time work looks like? My friend who studies in London says that it's barely possible but I don't have any other examples.
stubear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
talk to them, explain your situation and that you intent to work full time in your gap year to pay for uni, I bet they will defer, they'd rather defer for a year than have you drop out after the first semester due to lack of money
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was under the impression that most unis dont like people defering and would rather they just applied when they were going to attend? I may be wrong in that but I thought that you need a better reason than 'I didn't bother to think about how to fund a degree which would clearly cost a lot of money' to defer last minute like this

saying that, I know universities DO allow it as I got an agreement to defer (on health grounds) before deciding to take my place up and muddle through, so I may be wrong
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads