Achieved good A-Level results. Should I take a gap year and reapply for Physics/Natur Watch

arabellaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For my GCSEs, I got 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs including A* in Maths, A in English Language and B in French. For AS-Level, I got AAAA in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. After getting my maths C4 remarked, at A2, I got A*AA in Maths, Physics, Chemistry respectively.
I have many questions
1) When I put my maths C4 in for a remark, I also put C3 in for a remark just in case. C4 was a priority remark and C3 was non-priority. Now that I’ve got the A* with C4, can I terminate the C3 remark, I’ve already emailed my school but am waiting for a reply.
I’m really hoping on getting a place at UCL when I reapply, I would apply for Physics and Natural Sciences.
2) Would it be a disadvantage to my application if I was to apply for two courses at UCL?
3) Do I stand a chance in getting a place at UCL?
Because last year I applied for Physics at UCL with predicted grades of AAA and got rejected.
4) If so, where else should I apply?
If I was to take a gap year I have a rough idea of what I would do and to be honest I would love to take a gap year. But I want to know what my chances would be when it comes to getting a place at UCL.
5) Also if I was to take a gap year, would it be disadvantageous to my application if I was to resit 1 chemistry and 1 physics exams to get an A*, I’m doing this for satisfaction because I was 4 ums off in chemistry and 7 ums off in physics, an A*. I’m not 100% about this, I won’t do it if universities viewed it negatively, I would like to do it as it would somewhat keep me in school mode. I’ve thought about maybe doing another AS or A-Level but I’m not sure.

6) I got an A* in maths by remarking C3 (non-priority) and C4 (priority), I got the A* in maths by 90% on the dot. Can I now put a stop on my C3 remark? I don't it will go down but what if?

Thanks in advance!
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No idea about remarks.

Resitting modules probably isn't that helpful. A*AA should pretty much get you where you want to be, whereas with resits you'll have completed the courses over three years which makes you less competitive than someone looking to get similar grades first time round. Unless there's really a course that requires over A*AA (Imperial springs to mind, but that's probably it).

The issue you have with NatSci and physics is the personal statement issue. In applying for physics you'll need to talk heavily about physics, whereas with NatSci you're usually required to discuss more than a sole area. It does depend on the university though, so look for UCL's stance on this. Durham, for instance, explicitly quote on their website that candidates that only talk about one subject are at a disadvantage. Applying for a variety of similar courses (MPhys, BSc Phys, Phys with year abroad/industry) is no problem. Possibly e-mail about it, but I imagine they may well recommend you don't because of how competitive the courses are.

Can't comment on how likely it is you will get an offer, unless you have the reasons they rejected you (and something has improved on that). It's one choice out of five though, so if you want to go there then you should try it.

For keeping you in school mode, doing Further Maths might be a better idea. Often favoured/relevant to physics so it will help keep you on top of maths skills.

As for other places - what are you looking for? Do you want to be in a city? North/south? Is your preference physics or NatSci? If it's the latter then you have fewer choices generally.
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
don't know about stopping a remark but ask the exam board, if it's not been done already they'll probably agree. Imperial may have given preference to thse with either an A* maths prediction or further maths or both. With an A* in maths you have a chance, studying further maths would increase that chance.

As said abve the personal statement is a problem, you'd need to talk about your interest in science generally and physics in particular.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads