The Student Room Group

Higher English 2014/2015 Thread

Havnt seen any threads for english yet and even though its early i thought i should start one, what material is everyone doing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicole4
Haven't seen any threads for english yet and even though its early i thought i should start one, what material is everyone doing?

Hi :smile: We've not been told what books we're studying yet (our teacher wants to keep it a surprise) but we've started on two poems by Emily Dickinson which are quite good. What are you doing? And what are you most worried about for the final exam? For me it'd have to be the close reading. I'm awful at it!
Reply 2
Original post by chippedcups
Hi :smile: We've not been told what books we're studying yet (our teacher wants to keep it a surprise) but we've started on two poems by Emily Dickinson which are quite good. What are you doing? And what are you most worried about for the final exam? For me it'd have to be the close reading. I'm awful at it!

Hey there, iv read some of Emily Dickinsons stuffs shes really good, Im actually redoing higher english as i got a C last year and want an A, and im also doing home studies so i dont have a teacher lol, im going to use my matertial from last year which was The changeling by Robin Jenkins, Othello and two poems, porphyrias lover and exposure, however i hated exposure so i am going to do Gatsby instead of that as it is one of my favourites, im usually quite good at both essays and close reading but my final exam really let me down, im probably most scared for my folio surprisingly as last year i really rushed it and made a mess of it, hopefully we will all help each other through the year and by the exam you will be pro at close reading! :smile:
Original post by Nicole4
Hey there, iv read some of Emily Dickinsons stuffs shes really good, Im actually redoing higher english as i got a C last year and want an A, and im also doing home studies so i dont have a teacher lol, im going to use my matertial from last year which was The changeling by Robin Jenkins, Othello and two poems, porphyrias lover and exposure, however i hated exposure so i am going to do Gatsby instead of that as it is one of my favourites, im usually quite good at both essays and close reading but my final exam really let me down, im probably most scared for my folio surprisingly as last year i really rushed it and made a mess of it, hopefully we will all help each other through the year and by the exam you will be pro at close reading! :smile:

Yeah we're doing the one about a fly just now haha. Oh well best of luck! I don't think I could self study (although I may have to with Biology because my teacher's not the best and sends me to sleep every day). I really really want to do The Great Gatsby but I don't think we will be. Sometimes I can do well in the close reading but although I got an A in my National 5, I only got 16/30 for the close reading :/

What other subjects are you doing this year?
Reply 4
Yeah we're doing the one about a fly just now haha. Oh well best of luck! I don't think I could self study (although I may have to with Biology because my teacher's not the best and sends me to sleep every day). I really really want to do The Great Gatsby but I don't think we will be. Sometimes I can do well in the close reading but although I got an A in my National 5, I only got 16/30 for the close reading :/

What other subjects are you doing this year?

Haha home studies quite good actually i would recommend it, especially with boring biology teachers, i know last year i was desperate to do gatsby so this year is my chance, i actually read a book on close reading tips before my int 2 exam that saved my life, i'll try find it and give you the name if you want, im doing higher chemistry, biology english and RMPS as well as advanced History wbu?
Original post by Nicole4
Haha home studies quite good actually i would recommend it, especially with boring biology teachers, i know last year i was desperate to do gatsby so this year is my chance, i actually read a book on close reading tips before my int 2 exam that saved my life, i'll try find it and give you the name if you want, im doing higher chemistry, biology english and RMPS as well as advanced History wbu?

I hated Chemistry last year wow! I'm doing all Highers in English, Maths, Biology, French and History (my fav). I really want to do AH History next year :smile:
Reply 6
I hated Chemistry last year wow! I'm doing all Highers in English, Maths, Biology, French and History (my fav). I really want to do AH History next year :smile:

Haha i feel the same way about Maths i sucked so much at int 2, i did higher french for a bit too actually, im doing Japan in advanced history and its really good i would recommend it :smile:
We've studied 2 poems so far which are Incident and Porphyrias Lover which I quite like so far. It took me so long to get used to Nat 5 but once I did I found it really straight forward so I'm really trying to put in a lot of effort. I'm quite worried about close reading too as I'm awful at it and it's worth 50 marks :/
Reply 8
Original post by ashleymacleod
We've studied 2 poems so far which are Incident and Porphyrias Lover which I quite like so far. It took me so long to get used to Nat 5 but once I did I found it really straight forward so I'm really trying to put in a lot of effort. I'm quite worried about close reading too as I'm awful at it and it's worth 50 marks :/

I really enjoy porphyrias lover also, i did int 2 english, whats nat 5 like? Close reading really depends on the paper you get i guess, fingers crossed its interesting
Reply 9
Original post by Nicole4
I really enjoy porphyrias lover also, i did int 2 english, whats nat 5 like? Close reading really depends on the paper you get i guess, fingers crossed its interesting

National 5 is similar in standard to Intermediate 2, however there are differences. In National 5 there is a folio which is created in-school but which is externally marked by SQA. Like Intermediate 2 there is a Close reading passage and there are two literature essays in the external exam. The major difference is the requirement to be examined on a prescribed Scottish Set Text. Like in the new Higher - starting this year - all candidates must study a set Scottish text. In the exam the student are asked a series of short questions and one extended question on chosen Scottish Set Text.

So in the actual exam the candidates completes a Close Reading passage. Thereafter they have two literature essays on their chosen texts and finally their answers to the questions set on their chosen Scottish Set Text. That is probably why Creative writing is created internally - though marked externally.

The traditional Higher and this is its last year of presentation - does not have the Scottish Set Text Option .
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm studying Norman MacCaigs 6 poems, and doing a critical essay on othello, my prelims in November and were onto the third Norman macaig poem and we haven't started on othello, can someone give me a very brief outline of what happens, the themes, important characters etc. and some close reading tips would be cool :smile:
Original post by qasim-98
I'm studying Norman MacCaigs 6 poems, and doing a critical essay on othello, my prelims in November and were onto the third Norman macaig poem and we haven't started on othello, can someone give me a very brief outline of what happens, the themes, important characters etc. and some close reading tips would be cool :smile:

I do not know if it is of any help, but here is a powerpoint I made on Act 1.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/16f221ff-c747-447a-9aff-4daa83239a4d/ut-zIghFbILIjk-hIeWnsQ2

If you feel it is of use I will track down the Powerpoints on Acts 2 - 5

Good luck with your studies.
Reply 12
Original post by qasim-98

Hi theres, most important characters would be Othello and Iago, basically it is set in first in venice, where you are made aware of the situation, the situation being that Othello is a noble moor of venice who is well spoken and highly respected, but because he is black and not venician he is insecure (which becomes clear as you go through the play). Othello marries the young daughter of a senator, Desdemona behind her fathers back, with the help of Cassio, who he appoints as his lieutenant. Iago is Othellos ensign and friend and has been for many years, and is resentful towards Othello for not granting him the position and also believes that he slept with his wife, and so Iago secretly and slyly plans to destroy Othello whilst portraying the image of being "Honest Iago" and tricking Othello. You find out at the start of the play what Iagos intentions are and so dramatic irony is used (when the audience knows more than the characters). Iagos betrayal results in the play concluding with a number of deaths.
Main themes are identity, betrayal, jealousy and deceit.
hope this helped! :smile:
I'm writing my first Higher critical essay tomorrow on an Emily Dickson poem and I was wondering if anyone could please give me tips on how to improve from Nat5 :smile: Particularly with the introduction and conclusion!
I'm writing my first Higher critical essay tomorrow on an Emily Dickson poem and I was wondering if anyone could please give me tips on how to improve from Nat5 :smile: Particularly with the introduction and conclusion!

There are a number of basic features of a good essay.

First, answer the question. Yes I know that is obvious but you would be surprised how many students do not do so. I do not know Emily Dickinson, however let me explain through a 2002 poetry question the basic approach to a good answer.
Choose a poem in which contrast is used in order to clarify a key idea.
Examine in detail the poet’s use of contrast and show how it was effective in clarifying this key idea.

First, assuming there is a poem by her on contrast, then clearly that is the poem to use. However, and here pupils do make mistakes, suppose you do not know a poem by her that focuses on contrast - then you do not touch the question but go to another one. Pupils who try to force a poem to fit the question invariably fail. Next, please note there are the parts to this question: 1, show how the poem deals with contrast. 2, how effective does the poem deal with contrast. 3, In this question the third part is often stated - here it is implied through the term "effective". The SQA are wanting to see how the poem has affected you.....do you personally feel the poet has done well in highlighting this contrast.

Second, now to your answer.

Introductory paragraph:-
You do not need to spend time on who Emily Dickinson is; what the poem is about; where it w as written etc. You are not asked that so do not provide it. It will loose you marks. The question does not ask you that.

Something like this:-
A poem by Emily Dickinson where the poet uses contrast to clarify the key idea is ......... Through the poem the poet examines the issue in a number of ways. Firstly she looks at........ Later she explores the issue the contrast between..... And lastly the poet examines this issue......

It is a good idea to nominate three aspects of the poem: those are your three main sections/paragraphs in your essay. The next three paragraphs/sections should follow the order you listed them in your Introduction.

First Paragraph/Section:-
The first example where the poet uses contrast to clarify the idea of X is.........
Now you should have a quote.
It is absolutely essential that the quote supports your topic sentence. The topic sentence is your argument: the quote is your proof.

First you demonstrate how the words in the quote clearly show her use of contrast to explore this idea.
Second part is where you describe - and especially through her language - whether she has been successful. Here is where you can also involve yourself in the response. Having explained why the poet has been successful you can go on to comment about your feelings. E.g. You liked her use of words. You felt this particular example of contrast really clarified the idea for you.

Now you repeat that for the remaining two points.

Now you are left with your conclusion.
What was the idea that the poet used contrast to clarify. Why you feel the poet was successful or not. You could even, if you want, make another comment on how the poem affect you as a person.

In your introductory paragraph you have made clear what the poem is, who wrote it and three examples where contrast is used to clarify an idea.
You have effectively shown you understand the question and you know how to answer it.

In the next three paragraphs the marker is going to check that you are able to develop your argument; that you have chosen appropriate quotation; that you are able to demonstrate - through the language of the quotation - why that quotation proves your point; and finally you have shown that this is a poem that you have feeling for and have engaged with.In doing that you have passed. How well you have done that will determine how well you pass. However, provided you have done this reasonably well you should not barely pass.

I'm currently writing my creative folio piece for higher english and wondering if anyone, perhaps a teacher or something could read it and give me some tips? If you wouldn't mind, then can you let me know and I'll send it to you in a message?
Hello,
I was wondering if these subjects would be good if I applied for law
Higher Maths
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher Business Management
Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Higher Chemistry. I know the 2 sciences may seem irrelevant but I'm not sure about what direction I want to go in, I have 2 options. Thanks.
Reply 17
Is anyone studying Iain Crichton Smith for Textual Analysis?

If so, how is your teacher teaching it? What sort of thing have you got notes on?
Original post by Blue16
Is anyone studying Iain Crichton Smith for Textual Analysis?

If so, how is your teacher teaching it? What sort of thing have you got notes on?

This is one of the reasons I am critical of the SQA's choice of Scottish texts. For the chosen texts there is a dearth of commercial support notes on these Scottish Set texts. There are commercial support notes on "The Cone Gatherers" and most of the short stories of "George MacKay Brown." Interestingly, in the case of Iain Crichton Smith, there is commercial support material on his poetry but not on his - as far as I can see - on his short stories or prose in general.

The point I am getting to is that for the remainder of the texts the teacher is on their own. I understand there may be some support material in GLOW, but I have not seen them.

Now to your question: what should you have? I would have thought you would have:-
a) Detailed notes on each of the six stories - including character descriptions and comments on critical incidents.
b) Detailed notes on common themes and writer's techniques across the six stories.

Since this is the Higher thread, your notes should be quite bulky. After all the Set Text Question on Iain Crichton Smith will be a random extract from one of the six stories coupled with detailed question on the extract as well as mini essay/notes on common issues on the chosen extract compared with the other stories in the set.

I have great sympathy for teachers who may not be familiar in detail with these stories and at the same time having to teach them with little support resources available. It is a daunting task to create detailed Higher level notes across these six stories.

There are detailed notes at ScottishSetTexts you may want to consider. You are able to download a preview file to see whether you feel the notes meet your expectations and needs. Whether you feel they meet your needs is a matter of individual choice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nicole4
Havnt seen any threads for english yet and even though its early i thought i should start one, what material is everyone doing?

I'm doing:
"Marrakech" - George Orwell
"A Streetcar Named Desire" - Tennessee Williams
And Carol Ann Duffy's poems (again!! I thought I was done with her after Nat 5!!)

Sometimes I can do well in the close reading but although I got an A in my National 5, I only got 16/30 for the close reading :/

Original post by ashleymacleod
I'm quite worried about close reading too as I'm awful at it and it's worth 50 marks :/

I managed 26/30 for close reading in the Nat 5 exam, if you need help at all during the year you can quote me or PM me :smile: although if we have another question like "benign neglect" I'll be useless haha

Quick Reply

Latest