The Student Room Group

Higher English 2014/2015 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got any tips or structures for answering a critical essay question on significant ending?
Original post by Bobertie
Anyone got any tips or structures for answering a critical essay question on significant ending?

What text are you doing? Is the ending foreshadowed? Does the significance of the ending refer to the whole book or display the theme etc, why is it significant?

I would introduce what the ending is in the intro and state why its so significant. Then in your first couple of paras talk about what happens before the ending and constantly link it to the significant ending, the theme and the specific wording of the question.

Hope this helps
Is anyone else seriously concerned about this exam?

My prose is The Great Gatsby, I've had one essay marked by the teacher and a mark for the prelim essay I did but no feedback.
My play is The Crucible, exactly the same essay situation as Gatsby.
My first poem is Dulce et Decorum est and we did one timed essay on it in class and got a mark and no feedback.
My second poem is Anthem for Doomed Youth and we have got hardly any notes and have been given no essays to do or have marked.
For all of these I have obviously done essays myself but he won't mark them.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Original post by rachelbowden
Is anyone else seriously concerned about this exam?

My prose is The Great Gatsby, I've had one essay marked by the teacher and a mark for the prelim essay I did but no feedback.
My play is The Crucible, exactly the same essay situation as Gatsby.
My first poem is Dulce et Decorum est and we did one timed essay on it in class and got a mark and no feedback.
My second poem is Anthem for Doomed Youth and we have got hardly any notes and have been given no essays to do or have marked.
For all of these I have obviously done essays myself but he won't mark them.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Yeah I'm kind of the same but a little better off. We've only done one timed essay per text which isn't great :/

I'm doing The Crucible too :smile: Have you got lots of quotes? I have some but I find it difficult to write a good essay on it. Poetry is more my thing.
Original post by chippedcups
Yeah I'm kind of the same but a little better off. We've only done one timed essay per text which isn't great :/

I'm doing The Crucible too :smile: Have you got lots of quotes? I have some but I find it difficult to write a good essay on it. Poetry is more my thing.

It's worrying isn't it! I just recommend doing like timed essays on your own and then marking them yourself and stuff and then a few weeks later doing the same essay and seeing if it goes much better. My friend went into the exam and she'd done every single essay question that came up before because she'd done so many!

What theme are you focussing on? Yeah, I've got quite a lot but it's hard remembering them all and with plays and prose I find it hard to use quotes effectively with the question! I agree, poetry is more of my thing too! I've found loads of notes online and I'm actually happy with a couple of the essays I've done. I just wish it was easier to know what the questions will be!
It's worrying isn't it! I just recommend doing like timed essays on your own and then marking them yourself and stuff and then a few weeks later doing the same essay and seeing if it goes much better. My friend went into the exam and she'd done every single essay question that came up before because she'd done so many!

What theme are you focussing on? Yeah, I've got quite a lot but it's hard remembering them all and with plays and prose I find it hard to use quotes effectively with the question! I agree, poetry is more of my thing too! I've found loads of notes online and I'm actually happy with a couple of the essays I've done. I just wish it was easier to know what the questions will be!

Yeah I hate English questions but it's sometimes quite hard to understand what they want, whereas in History you know it can only be one of six factors.

We focused on the theme of Proctor's redemption, and also the importance of reputation. What about you? Yeah using quotes in poetry is easier but for a play I feel like I'm saying exactly what the quote is, just in different words, and I'm not actually analysing.

I got 19 in my class essay but I still don't like writing about it.
Original post by chippedcups
Yeah I hate English questions but it's sometimes quite hard to understand what they want, whereas in History you know it can only be one of six factors.

We focused on the theme of Proctor's redemption, and also the importance of reputation. What about you? Yeah using quotes in poetry is easier but for a play I feel like I'm saying exactly what the quote is, just in different words, and I'm not actually analysing.

I got 19 in my class essay but I still don't like writing about it.

Yes history is so much easier! and you only actually have to learn 4 of the 6 because then there will always be at least one you can do!

We focussed on Proctor's integrity so pretty much the same thing as you I guess. Yes I know exactly what you mean!

19! that's very good, especially as people's exam essays tend to be better than class timed ones!

What's your prose and pom?
Yes history is so much easier! and you only actually have to learn 4 of the 6 because then there will always be at least one you can do!

We focussed on Proctor's integrity so pretty much the same thing as you I guess. Yes I know exactly what you mean!

19! that's very good, especially as people's exam essays tend to be better than class timed ones!

What's your prose and pom?

My prose is actually non-fiction and George Orwell's 'Shooting an Elephant'. We're doing poetry by Emily Dickinson and Philip Larkin which I quite like.
What text are you doing? Is the ending foreshadowed? Does the significance of the ending refer to the whole book or display the theme etc, why is it significant?

I would introduce what the ending is in the intro and state why its so significant. Then in your first couple of paras talk about what happens before the ending and constantly link it to the significant ending, the theme and the specific wording of the question.

Hope this helps

Thanks!!
Sorry for the late reply, but I am also doing The Crucible, but not doing any prose or poetry (apart from scottish texts stuff) so I feel I have a better understanding of the play.
The things I've thought of and planned for The Crucible are: Relationships (John/Elizabeth and John/Abigail), Turning Point/Key Scene (John admits to affair), Character change (Hale), Human Emotion (Fear, jealousy), Hysteria, Injustice, Dilema (John's choice in court), Significant ending (John not signing the confession). I've also been taught about how John values his good name and reputation as it can tie in with many of the topics above.

Hope this helps somewhat!!
(edited 9 years ago)
I understand the advantage of only taking one text into the exam. Since you are taking in drama, then I would suggest you prepare responses on the main characters. The prose and drama options have one thing in common: there is invariably a character question. I would work on John Proctor and Elizabeth Proctor. You might want to spend a little time on Abigale - but she is not a main character. Unless this year is different from every other year, you certain to get a character question.

If you find them of use, here is a link to some support material I made up for the Crucible and the character question.

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/c9030998-d1b3-4f8a-894d-090d79cc985c/7xdil0WCQIEwbXlszkWA8w2
I'm sitting the New Higher.

Scottish Set Text: Norman MacCaig Poems

Critical Essay Text: 'The Great Gatsby'

I'm just a bit stuck on what I should do for the 10 marks in the Set Text comparison question. Any pointers?
Original post by SausageMan
I'm sitting the New Higher.

Scottish Set Text: Norman MacCaig Poems

Critical Essay Text: 'The Great Gatsby'

I'm just a bit stuck on what I should do for the 10 marks in the Set Text comparison question. Any pointers?

I'm doing maccaig too haha, and I usually answer it using bulletpoints

What you should know is how to accurately lift from each of the six poems that they ask... You basically get 2 marks really easily...

in the sqa exemplar paper it says :

By referring to this and at least one other poem, discuss how MacCaig’s descriptions of familiar things and/or situations enhance our understanding of the central concerns of his poetry.

In the sqa marking scheme it says

the image of the nostrils detached from body (1) to convey his attemptsto remain detached from the reality of death. (1)

I mean I think in my opinion that's a really clipped, short answer but what id do is quote the image of the nostrils moving, just to enhance the quality of my answer a little.

If I were to write one I would write:

•the encounter with the shark in basking shark "I met... The room-sized monster with a matchbox brain", helps to clarify the central concern of human evolution, as MacCaig is forced to reflect on how wrongly humans find themselves superior.

That might be a bit too long, but id rather write too much than too little.. Plus, the set text is the one thing I can rely on
(edited 9 years ago)
If I may I would both agree and disagree Qasim-98. He/she suggests that bullet points would be the preferable method to respond. I agree, if for no other reason than it restricts excessive verbiage and wandering off the question being addressed.

Qasim then comments “What you should know is how to accurately lift from each of the six poems that they ask... You basically get 2 marks really easily…” With respect, I disagree with that suggestion. You may well not need to refer to all six poems. The idea that you can gain “2 marks really easily” I am not convinced about.

Let me take the specimen question as an example:-
Candidates should discuss how MacCaig uses contrast to explore theme in his work and
should refer to appropriate textual evidence to support their discussion.

Now for the full 10 marks the candidate needs to:-

i. Up to 2 marks can be achieved for identifying elements of commonality as identified in the question, ie MacCaig’s use of contrast to develop theme.
ib. That means the candidate can gain their first 2 mks by identifying areas of commonality within the poetry of Norman MacCaig.

ii. A further 2 marks can be achieved for reference to the extract given.
iib This mean the candidate can gain their next 2 mks by demonstrating where in “Sounds of the Day” - which is the set text in the specimen paper - there is examples of commonality that you have identified in ib.

iii 6 additional marks can be awarded for discussion of similar references to at least one other poem by the poet.
iiib That leaves the remaining 6 mks to be picked up.

iv. The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.
ivb. And here is the crux of the question and where I disagree with Qasm. The board are very clear about what they are looking for: “The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.
So I would not use all six poems. Since the set poem is “Sounds of the Day” I would stay with the personal trilogy:-

“Sounds of the Day”

“Memorial”

“Visiting Hour.”

“a + b” are the two Francis MaCaig poems and “c” the Isabel MacCaig poem.

In (a) for (ib) I would comment that is a variety of areas on contrast in MacCaig’s poetry. There is landscape and people in “Aunt Julia.” There is the poor and the powerful in “Assisi”. There is the contrast between man and mammal in “Basking Shark.”
In (a) for (iib) there is a variety of possibilities but I would probably focus the the sounds metaphor especially as I would also want to also use it for (iii)
Therefore the contrast would be between the presence of sound in verse 1 compared to absence of sound in verse 3.

Now for iii I would divide up my 6 marks into two groups of 3mks
First 3mks compare poems a + b and here I would refer to the “sound” metaphor.

In (a) although a positive element in Verse 1 it is negative thereafter. In addition the narrator - Norman MacCaig - is also negative. He has been deeply hurt and - as verse 3 demonstrates “You left me” - he is really quite angry.

In (b) - a poem written 3 years after Francis’ death - he is much more reflective. Now he says he will be “her music”. Where in “Sounds of the Day” the sounds were individual and - as in verse 3 negative -, in “Memorial” the sounds and positive and harmonious.

With regard to “Visiting Hour” I would compare the description of Norman MacCaig with Isabel - his wife.

Therefore I would deal with verse 3. It is one of my favourite pieces of MacCaig poetry. “I will not feel, I will not / feel, until / I have to.” I could write a whole essay just on that verse.

You have the content - a man fighting back his emotions not knowing what he will find when he reaches the ward. The fantastic use of lineation enjambment, the use of repetition both word and sentence and - of course - the use of punctuation. It is a fantastic verse and what it shows us is a man who is fighting - and fighting very hard - to maintain his composure.

b) Compared to that in verse 5 and 6 we have the portrait of Isabel. Yes she is very ill - indeed in verse 5 in lines 4 + 5 there is the suggestion she may be unconscious. However compared to MacCaig in verse 3, in verse 6 she is described as “She smiles a little at this / black figure in her white cave..” Where MacCaig is frantic with worry, she is relaxed. The word “smiles” is the only positive word in the entire poem.It contrast well with the adjective to describe MacCaig “black.” There is an understanding on her part in MacCaig’s emotional distress.

So I would not need to deal with all six poems - and indeed I would not. I believe that is what the SQA are getting at when they say “The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jamesg2
If I may I would both agree and disagree Qasim-98. He/she suggests that bullet points would be the preferable method to respond. I agree, if for no other reason than it restricts excessive verbiage and wandering off the question being addressed.

Qasim then comments “What you should know is how to accurately lift from each of the six poems that they ask... You basically get 2 marks really easily…” With respect, I disagree with that suggestion. You may well not need to refer to all six poems. The idea that you can gain “2 marks really easily” I am not convinced about.

Let me take the specimen question as an example:-
Candidates should discuss how MacCaig uses contrast to explore theme in his work and
should refer to appropriate textual evidence to support their discussion.

Now for the full 10 marks the candidate needs to:-

i. Up to 2 marks can be achieved for identifying elements of commonality as identified in the question, ie MacCaig’s use of contrast to develop theme.
ib. That means the candidate can gain their first 2 mks by identifying areas of commonality within the poetry of Norman MacCaig.

ii. A further 2 marks can be achieved for reference to the extract given.
iib This mean the candidate can gain their next 2 mks by demonstrating where in “Sounds of the Day” - which is the set text in the specimen paper - there is examples of commonality that you have identified in ib.

iii 6 additional marks can be awarded for discussion of similar references to at least one other poem by the poet.
iiib That leaves the remaining 6 mks to be picked up.

iv. The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.
ivb. And here is the crux of the question and where I disagree with Qasm. The board are very clear about what they are looking for: “The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.
So I would not use all six poems. Since the set poem is “Sounds of the Day” I would stay with the personal trilogy:-

“Sounds of the Day”

“Memorial”

“Visiting Hour.”

“a + b” are the two Francis MaCaig poems and “c” the Isabel MacCaig poem.

In (a) for (ib) I would comment that is a variety of areas on contrast in MacCaig’s poetry. There is landscape and people in “Aunt Julia.” There is the poor and the powerful in “Assisi”. There is the contrast between man and mammal in “Basking Shark.”
In (a) for (iib) there is a variety of possibilities but I would probably focus the the sounds metaphor especially as I would also want to also use it for (iii)
Therefore the contrast would be between the presence of sound in verse 1 compared to absence of sound in verse 3.

Now for iii I would divide up my 6 marks into two groups of 3mks
First 3mks compare poems a + b and here I would refer to the “sound” metaphor.

In (a) although a positive element in Verse 1 it is negative thereafter. In addition the narrator - Norman MacCaig - is also negative. He has been deeply hurt and - as verse 3 demonstrates “You left me” - he is really quite angry.

In (b) - a poem written 3 years after Francis’ death - he is much more reflective. Now he says he will be “her music”. Where in “Sounds of the Day” the sounds were individual and - as in verse 3 negative -, in “Memorial” the sounds and positive and harmonious.

With regard to “Visiting Hour” I would compare the description of Norman MacCaig with Isabel - his wife.

Therefore I would deal with verse 3. It is one of my favourite pieces of MacCaig poetry. “I will not feel, I will not / feel, until / I have to.” I could write a whole essay just on that verse.

You have the content - a man fighting back his emotions not knowing what he will find when he reaches the ward. The fantastic use of lineation enjambment, the use of repetition both word and sentence and - of course - the use of punctuation. It is a fantastic verse and what it shows us is a man who is fighting - and fighting very hard - to maintain his composure.

b) Compared to that in verse 5 and 6 we have the portrait of Isabel. Yes she is very ill - indeed in verse 5 in lines 4 + 5 there is the suggestion she may be unconscious. However compared to MacCaig in verse 3, in verse 6 she is described as “She smiles a little at this / black figure in her white cave..” Where MacCaig is frantic with worry, she is relaxed. The word “smiles” is the only positive word in the entire poem.It contrast well with the adjective to describe MacCaig “black.” There is an understanding on her part in MacCaig’s emotional distress.

So I would not need to deal with all six poems - and indeed I would not. I believe that is what the SQA are getting at when they say “The aim would be to encourage quality of comment, rather than quantity of references.

I understand people find these questions a difficult one to get by since they are 10 marks available, and people may get wound up in the whole 2x 1 mark for identification of commonality, but quoting with a basic, relevant comment will get you a mark. These are the words spoken from a women ( my English teacher ) with a English degree and has been teaching for decades.

I'm positive that you have a knowledge (probably better than mine) on how to answer the final 10 mark question, and I will refer back to this for revision. I just dislike intermingling with the intricacies of the marking schemes "formula." We have 45 minutes to pick up 20 marks, the last 10 marks are your chance to step back, and consider the six poems holistically.
I appreciate your views and those of your teacher. For the record I am a Charter Teacher and I have written widely on the Scottish Set texts - including Norman MacCaig.

Everyone approaches exams differently, but I always advise pupils to follow the SQA grid - whatever it may be. In this case it is the 2 + 2 + 6 structure. The reason I advance this is that it means the pupils will be following the marking grid the markers have. In doing so it makes the markers life much easier. A happy marker is one who is on your side.

Therefore my advice to structure your preparation around the 2+2+6 formulae.

That said I acknowledge everyone approaches exams in their own way.
Original post by jamesg2
I appreciate your views and those of your teacher. For the record I am a Charter Teacher and I have written widely on the Scottish Set texts - including Norman MacCaig.

Everyone approaches exams differently, but I always advise pupils to follow the SQA grid - whatever it may be. In this case it is the 2 + 2 + 6 structure. The reason I advance this is that it means the pupils will be following the marking grid the markers have. In doing so it makes the markers life much easier. A happy marker is one who is on your side.

Therefore my advice to structure your preparation around the 2+2+6 formulae.

That said I acknowledge everyone approaches exams in their own way.

So could you pick up your full 10 marks by only referring just to 3? Because I tried my best in the prelim to do one for each one because I thought it would be counted as repetition from the same, so if I do this in the exam would the marker acknowledge both answers from the same poem?

And also I lost marks for saying "in this poem maccaig reflects.."

And by "this" I meant the poem that had been selected, which was Aunt Julia, obviously it's a mistake that I have learned from but does the marker need be told absolutely everything I'm sure my teachers knew that I meant aunt Julia... I just had a feeling that they were being strict on purpose..
You need to go back to the 10 Mk question. Now 2015's question may be different but in the specimen it did not specify that you needed to cover all 6 poems. The question was:- Candidates should discuss how MacCaig uses contrast to explore theme in his work and should refer to appropriate textual evidence to support their discussion.

It is up to you to decide the number of poems would be relevant. If I remember in L5 it suggests "one or more." The point being you are chancing your arm if you only deal with one other poem. The more poems you decide to write about, the less you can say. I also used an idea that I propose in L5. In MacCaig's poetry set, it breaks down to two groups.

Group A:- The personal Poems: Sounds of the Day, Memorial and Visiting Hour.
Group B:- The issue Poems: Aunt Julia, Assisi and Basking Shark.

So if 2015's selected poem is an issue poem I would use the other two to answer on. Therefore you need to prepare for both groups and then, when in the exam, discard the group that is not chosen.

I tend to agree, if for no other reason than clarity, naming of the poem is better than the relative pronoun.

As I mentioned in my initial post above making the marker happy gets you bonus points. And being clear is one way to make the marker happy. So I would say better to be safe than sorry.
I am doing Othello and my poem is Porphyrias Lover. Could I get away with just working with Othello for my essay and not even bothering with Porphyrias Lover as surely a question on Othello will come up in the Play section?
Yes it is possible. That said to only think about taking one poem into the exam was exceedingly dangerous. Taking in only Porphyrias Lover you could well have no question suited or one that would extraordinarily to answer. It is the norm to take 4+ poems into the exam.That way you have a reasonable chance of finding a question to suit you.

However your intent is to only take in your play. One thing you can be assured of is a character question so if you go through all the past papers and focus on answering the character question you might be prepared for the exam. That said, you need to be warned that even though you are assured a character question it does not mean you will be able to answer it. Basically, you need to be aware of the dangerous route you want go. It is possible but I would never advise my pupils to do such a thing.

If you are intent on going down this route it would be worthwhile also developing notes on themes as well as the importance of the first and last act.

Good luck.
I don't know how to revise for English bar memorising quotes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending