Are there Bad people?

Watch this thread
Wee.Guy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Are there bad people or just people who do bad things?

if you believe that there are both how do determine which is which?

if you believe that people who do bad things are bad people then arent we all bad people?
kelefi
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
quite simply? yes we are all bad people who occasionally temporarily become good people. then we go bad again.
Grace by Yahweh
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wee.Guy)

if you believe that people who do bad things are bad people then arent we all bad people?
You have to teach a child to say please and thank you, you don't have to teach a child to bite another child or pull a toy away from another child, I believe naughtiness (call it being bad if you wish) is a natural inclination.
zKlown
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
We have evil and good thoughts.

Those who act more on evil ones are bad people
Temporality
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

I believe there are both.

In my opinion (and this is a Buddhist principle that I agree with) the essential definition of a wrong/bad action is that which causes harm to another being. (and of course there are moralistic dilemmas where people are harmed in two different situations)

In my mind, having the intention to cause harm defines the distinction between bad people and good people who on the whole intend to do good but do bad things unintentionally. So what creates the distinction is intention.

Bad people are motivated out of malice. Doing bad things unintentionally may have several explanations. For example, It may result from the natural tendency of human beings to err and thus to make mistakes unintentionally. It may result from our subconcious - the fact that due to certain experiences we are conditionned to behave in certain ways. It may be the result of a psychiatric condition.
Swanbow
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well you get sociopaths, who tend to do whatever it takes to serve themselves at the expense of others. They lack empathy, and will deflect all blame from themselves.

Then you get regular people who do bad things. Some because of poor decisions, others as a lifestyle choice.

I think the difference is whether the person feels genuine remorse for their actions, and whether they recognise that their actions were bad in the first place. But sociopathy is a recognised mental disorder, calling them 'bad' is a bit simplistic at best and unfairly re-enforcing mental health stigma at worst.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The truth of the matter is that there is neither good nor bad. Its the human mind which regards certain behaviors as good or bad. But the views of these behaviors are different, that's why there are just a few actions of people which can be divided in good or bad completely.
Malorys ballsack
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
- right and wrong are mystical concepts, what societies have is shared values constituting acceptable and unacceptable behaviour
- most societies have universally shared values (do not murder people)
- some groups break these values
- sane people accept the necessity of shared values
- most people who break rules know it is 'wrong'
- there may be a biological aspect because:
people have different composure and react differently to stimuli for example some get angrier maybe due to hormones which might make them break these values
- most of the time we have control over our behaviour
- some people act in accordance with the rules because of fear
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Malorys ballsack)
- right and wrong are mystical concepts, what societies have is shared values constituting acceptable and unacceptable behaviour
- most societies have universally shared values (do not murder people)
- some groups break these values
- sane people accept the necessity of shared values
- most people who break rules know it is 'wrong' (...)
Your view is very interesting. After your statement, good and bad is not a matter of people's views or feeling, but a matter of rules (= values) in society?
Malorys ballsack
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Your view is very interesting. After your statement, good and bad is not a matter of people's views or feeling, but a matter of rules (= values) in society?
Well many values have been considered moral by the standards of society which we would disagree with such as slavery and anti-Semitism so not exactly. My view is that there two types of behaviours, civilised behaviours which are based on empathy, and barbarism which is based on reason and forced values, for example slavery might be justified on the grounds that it provides economic incentive but civilised behaviour tells us this is wrong because even if it does we can sympathise with the treatment of slaves. In my view morality is rooted in concrete experiences not abstractions which can be used to justify absurd views (for example genocide). If you notice however these barbaric values are always pushed onto someone (for example the Nazis pushed anti-Semitism on the population). If you take 'reasons' away most can intuitively grasp (based on majority alone) that something is right or wrong and therefore should be legal or illegal, sometimes these attitudes are forced from above and are made shared through fear of force. However sometimes the majority of people are crazy or motivated by sophistry or what not, these societies have and will always collapse because barbaric values cannot be used to build a society.

In a way nature decides what is moral by destroying societies that do not have civilised values.
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
x
From this perspective I agree with you completely. Whenever the rights of humans are broken, its bad. In your cases, there are nothing doubts in bad actions. But there are soooo many actions which are at the edge of good, that is to say at the edge of breaking the human rights, so its hard to say whether its a bad action or not. That is why I would everyone recommend to build on gut instincts in terms of clearing good and bad actions for yourself.
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't think there's such thing as a 'Bad' person, I think that's just a label people like to throw around to create a target for their anger at the world rather than actually facing the root cause of issues. If you trace back the origins of most crimes, they're because of inequality in society that we're all responsible for.
Malorys ballsack
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I don't think there's such thing as a 'Bad' person, I think that's just a label people like to throw around to create a target for their anger at the world rather than actually facing the root cause of issues. If you trace back the origins of most crimes, they're because of inequality in society that we're all responsible for.
Some people like killing others though, some people are actually just sadists.
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The most interesting question in this matter is where the inequality of society has begun. What were the true origins? Can you give an answer to me? that would be nice, as I'm trying to find these true origins all the while.
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
The most interesting question in this matter is where the inequality of society has begun. What were the true origins? Can you give an answer to me? that would be nice, as I'm trying to find these true origins all the while.
I would assume it's all down to the fact that once people get power, they firstly want to keep that power and secondly want to make it as easy as possible for them to gain more power, all whilst giving people the illusion that this imbalance doesn't exist and that they're capable of influencing decision.

Some people like killing others though, some people are actually just sadists.
But we're talking about a significant minority here (probably fewer than 5% of cases). And in these cases, there is still generally a reason behind it.
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would assume it's all down to the fact that once people get power, they firstly want to keep that power and secondly want to make it as easy as possible for them to gain more power, all whilst giving people the illusion that this imbalance doesn't exist and that they're capable of influencing decision. (...)
In other words: our quest for power and ranks in society, which exist since the mankind is civilized, is the true origin of 'evil'? is that to say that we are slaves of our desires which is responsible for 'bad' things in the whole world?
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
"Without good there can be no evil nor can vice exist without good"
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
We're all capable of doing bad things and we're all ultimately responsible for our actions. Some do more bad than others. We are beings with a good side and a shadow side in our natures.
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Good or bad is subjective.
Everglow
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I always find Thomas Aquinas's claim that no man can deliberately do evil interesting. From a philosophical perspective, anything that anyone does is perceived to be the right thing. Even if someone recognises their choice to be 'bad' according to what the majority defines as bad, they themselves see it as the overall right decision, so they aren't deliberately doing evil, if there even is any absolute understanding of the word. If concepts like good and bad can't be universally defined, then Aquinas is right to say that nobody deliberately does evil.

So perhaps there isn't such a thing as bad people or bad actions - only perceptions within societies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (229)
42.17%
The paper was reasonable (231)
42.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
6.26%

Watched Threads