Scroll to see replies

Saturday - A

Squats 20kg 8, 35kg 6, 50kg 5x5
Bench Press 20kg 8, 30kg 6, 37.5kg 4, 35kg 5 5 4 5
Bent Over Rows 30kg 5x5-6
Overhead Press 15kg 3x8-10
Barbell Curls 15kg 8, 20kg 2x6, 15kg 8
DB Forearm Twists and Curls 7.5kg 3x15

Pretty good workout. Accidentally did too much weight on the squats as I forgot I didn't go on Thursday, but got away with it. Tough though, was tough holding the weight up at all.

Bench, for whatever reason, was a bit off. Could be overdoing squats, too sore from badminton or something else. Lowered the weight to 35 again and still struggled so guess couple of days rest will help.

Rows were alright, just cba with bench a bit off but alright. Everything else generally fine.

Going drinking tonight so potentially this workout will do nothing in the long run, but I feel it's better than not going at all.
Tuesday - B

Squats 20kg 8, 40kg 6, 52.5kg 5x5
BB Overhead Press 10kg 8, 20kg 5, 5, 4, 15kg 8, 7
Deadlift 55kg 3x5
Bench Press 35kg 5, 4, 32.5kg 7, 6

Was a good workout if I recall, short but sweet.

Squats were good, it's a weight that's pushing me and I suspect next time I add weight I might start to stall. OHP I improved, managed to get some decent reps in with 20kg, although I think my back was arching a bit so it's something to pay attention to. Deadlifts were decent, I know you're meant to do one or maybe two sets but by the time I've set the bar up I want to get my money's worth. Bench was a bit disappointing again but I'd put it down to fatigue and being near the end of the workout.

Since Tuesday evening I've been getting ill though and therefore won't be doing anything tonight, hopefully go again Sat or Sun. Probably not making any recovery progress since Tuesday either, one of these things I guess.
I've not given up on this, just not been well enough for some time. I've been ill since a week on Wednesday and even now I'm still coughing constantly and have a congested head, my immune system is shocking.

I did manage to play badminton on Wednesday evening which was good as it gave me something to do, but I've also had a very sore right leg which makes me wary of doing leg stuff even if I felt up to it. My mood's also been rubbish lately.

Hopefully I'll be able to gym this Tuesday and that means it'll have been two weeks so I'll take 10% or so off lifts and try and pick up from where I left off.
Tuesday - A

Squats 20kg 8, 30kg 6, 50kg 5x5
Bench Press 20kg 8, 32.5kg 5x5
Bent Over Rows 25kg 3x6, 30kg 1x6
BB Overhead Press 15kg 10 8 7
Barbell Curl 15kg 8, 20kg 3x6
DB Forearm Twists and Curls 10kg 3x15

This was the first time I'd been in two weeks and I was still occasionally coughing, so I didn't want to go OTT.

Squats were good. I went a bit heavier than I planned but it was the right weight, tough at the end. Bench started off a bit rubbish, I was struggling from the first set of 5, but got better after the third. I'd like the weight for that to go up more consistently this time.

Rows were a bit average. Somewhat pathetically, my legs were shaking a lot throughout them and it was hard to concentrate, so it was a bit half hearted. OHP was alright, although my form was a bit average towards the end but still decent. Curls were fine.

I've played badminton this evening and I've been a bit achey all day, so it will be a tough ask to go again tomorrow, but that's the plan anyway.
Unsure whether it's worth going to the gym today. I have time off to go earlier at say half 3, but I'm tired and the main problem is my legs are rather sore from the other day.

Is it wise to go if you're not 100% recovered? I could go, go and avoid leg work or just not go.
Original post by Sheepmaster317
Unsure whether it's worth going to the gym today. I have time off to go earlier at say half 3, but I'm tired and the main problem is my legs are rather sore from the other day.

Is it wise to go if you're not 100% recovered? I could go, go and avoid leg work or just not go.

Just go, it's always better to go than not unless you're actually injured. Just don't do leg work if it's really painful, but a bit of doms isn't going to matter. The more frequently you go the less you'll be sore afterwards.

I've found there's absolutely no correlation between having some DOMS or not and whether or not I'll set any PBs that session.
Thursday evening - B

Squats 20kg 8, 35kg 6, 52.5kg 5x5
OHP 20kg 5 5 5 3, 15kg 6
Deadlift 60kg 2x5
Bench Press 30kg 4x8
Bent Over Rows 25kg 3x6-8
Barbell Curls 20kg 3x6
DB Forearm exercises 10kg (maybe 2x8)

Good workout. Squats were tough, but completed them, although I wasn't always sure I would. OHP was decent, surprised I did alright although failed halfway through that fourth set and I'm still unsure on my form, but I don't think it's bad.

Deadlifts were decent. The bar was easy to set up this time (obvious when I think about it), but I had an issue with grip a bit and I'm developing callous-esque things at the base of my fingers to go along with the guitar ones at the tip of them.

Bench was good. Rows were half hearted, again. Shaking legs is distracting. Curls were tricky but fine, and by then my hands were sore gripping anything so I stopped.

I suspect my legs won't work tomorrow so I'll have to make up for it by eating a lot.
Thursday evening - B

Squats 20kg 8, 35kg 6, 52.5kg 5x5
OHP 20kg 5 5 5 3, 15kg 6
Deadlift 60kg 2x5
Bench Press 30kg 4x8
Bent Over Rows 25kg 3x6-8
Barbell Curls 20kg 3x6
DB Forearm exercises 10kg (maybe 2x8)

Good workout. Squats were tough, but completed them, although I wasn't always sure I would. OHP was decent, surprised I did alright although failed halfway through that fourth set and I'm still unsure on my form, but I don't think it's bad.

Deadlifts were decent. The bar was easy to set up this time (obvious when I think about it), but I had an issue with grip a bit and I'm developing callous-esque things at the base of my fingers to go along with the guitar ones at the tip of them.

Bench was good. Rows were half hearted, again. Shaking legs is distracting. Curls were tricky but fine, and by then my hands were sore gripping anything so I stopped.

I suspect my legs won't work tomorrow so I'll have to make up for it by eating a lot.

You're doing all your compounds in one session, are you following 5x5? It might be a better idea to split them up so as to avoid fatigue. I'd do deadlifts last as they kill you. Also, callouses are good!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You're doing all your compounds in one session, are you following 5x5? It might be a better idea to split them up so as to avoid fatigue. I'd do deadlifts last as they kill you. Also, callouses are good!

Yeah, I'm following Stronglifts 5x5 but adding additional sets of slightly higher reps at the end. It's meant to be two or three additional exercises at the end but admittedly I did go a bit OTT that time.

For now I can get away with it without causing fatigue, when things get heavier maybe not. I wouldn't want to do just three different exercises on a day as it wouldn't be enough volume for me.
Saturday - A

Bench Press 20kg 8, 30kg 6, 35kg 4x5, 1x7
BB Bent Over Rows 20kg 6, 30kg 5x5
Squats 30kg 6, 55kg 5x5
BB Overhead Press 15kg 8 (done before squats), 15kg 3x8ish (done after squats)
Deadlifts 50kg 1x5, 65kg 1x5
Barbell Curls 20kg 8, 6, 6

A good workout. The two squat racks were busy for the first 30 odd minutes so I started with bench which went smoothly, and rows which were good (benefitted by not having shaky legs, will increase weight next time I 5x5 rows).

Squats were decent. Not being first didn't help but I got through them. OHP was fine, form was better, don't want to overdo it on A workouts. Did deadlifts for the bantz, and did curls for the same reason.

Been quite a lot of volume in my first week back after a fortnight off so will appreciate Sunday and Monday off. Admittedly it looks like I deviate from my initial workout plan but I take the initiative on the day and atm I do some kind of Strong lifts/ICF/AllPro amalgamation, but I like it.
Monday -A/B

Bench Press 20kg 8, 30kg 6, 35kg 5x5
Squats 20kg 6, 40kg 6, 57.5kg 5, 60kg 4x5
BB Overhead Press 10kg 8, 20kg 5 (barely), 15kg 3x6-8
Bent Over Rows 25kg 3x8
DB Forearm Twists and Curls 10kg 3x12

Decent workout. Went today as I'm busy Thursday and Friday so thought Mon/Wed was better than just Tues, even if it's a little tiring.

Bench was good. Squats were good too. Did 57.5 but was on the one rubbish barbell (sounds trivial but was hurting, so went to the other squat rack and did 60 as cba reweighting to 57.5. Was tricky but doable.

Obviously with my shoulders a bit sore from benching and squatting OHP was a bit meh, but alright. Rows were a bit average.

Might mix it up on Wednesday, focus on rows and OHP, maybe deads, and then do squats and bench as a side. In some logical order.
Wednesday - B

Squats 20kg 8, 40kg 6, 60kg 5x5
BB Overhead Press 10kg 8, 20kg 5 5 4 3 4
Deadlifts 50kg 1x5, 70kg 1x5
Bench Press 32.5kg 4x8

Good workout. Short but sweet.

Squats were tough, but effective. Didn't want to increase the weight after going up 5 last time, think this was right.

OHP was alright. Was going fine but was distracted by someone invading my personal space which put me off (won't start ranting), but hit failure on last 2-3 sets. Still decent volume by my standards.

Deadlifts were tough. However it's pleasing I'm one increase away from lifting my BW in a lift. Bit OTT on my legs when they could've done with a rest with badminton tomorrow.

Bench was just 'cause. Needed a lie down. Was reassuringly straightforward although tough near the end.

Will probably not be at my best tomorrow, walking/running wise, and lots of walking on Friday means it's not exactly a break but two days off will allow me to carry on well on Saturday. Will need to focus on rows as they're being neglected atm.
Sunday - A

Squats

20kg 8
40kg 6
62.5kg 5x5

Bench Press

20kg 8
30kg 6
37.5kg 5, 5, 4
35kg 5, 5

Bent Over Rows

25kg 6
35kg 3x6

Overhead Press

15kg 8
20kg 5, 3
15kg 10

Barbell Curls

15kg 8
20kg 6, 6
15kg 8

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 15, 10, 12

An alright workout.

Squats were good. Still increasing the weight for the time being.

Bench was a bit rubbish, so decreased the weight and still struggled. Rows were alright I guess, I increased the weight but only did three sets, slight cba-ness.

OHP was ok, I planned on 3x8 but tried increasing the weight and inevitably failed (tricky after three compounds). Curls were alright, struggled towards the end of second 20 set mind.

I dunno whether I'm just a bit weary and tired still, or if I didn't eat enough before, but I think for future A workouts I'll bench before I squat. I know it's usually recommended to squat first but it takes it out of me so my bench becomes a bit rubbish. It's one theory anyway.
Tuesday - B

Squats

20kg 8
40kg 6
65kg 5x5

Overhead Press

15kg 8
20kg 5x5

Bent Over Rows

20kg 8
35kg 4x6

Bench Press

35kg 8, 7, 7, 6

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 15, 15, 10

A pretty good workout.

Squats were tricky. Was tough getting back up by the end but I managed to do the 5x5 at least. Getting there with them. OHP was decent, finally hit 5x5 with 20kg. Was focussing on proper form towards the start and was just about maintained towards the end.

Did rows over deadlifts as I cba doing deadlifts. Rows were alright, they were going fine until people started getting in the way and that put me off. Bench was surprisingly decent.

On a side note, people should be required to learn about personal space before they join a gym. Jesus...

Won't be back until Sunday as I've got badminton tonight and work's do on Friday and friends on Saturday so that's it for a while.
Sunday - A

Squats
20kg 6
40kg 8
65kg 5x5

Bench Press
30kg 6
40kg 3
37.5kg 5, 5
35kg 5, 5

Rows

20kg 8
35kg 3x5-6

OHP

15kg 8, 6
20kg 5
15kg 8

Barbell Curls

15kg 7
20kg 6, 6
15kg 7

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 15, 13, 17

Mixed workout. I think because it was earlier in the day I was a bit less motivated and a bit weaker (maybe tired atm too) than I am by evening.

Squats were decent. Kept the weight the same after having a few days off. Bench was a bit rubbish. Knew 40 would be too much but felt like trying. Rows were ok but I cba doing 5x5 on them atm. OHP was alright and curls were tricky but ok.

I am pleased with progress though, should hopefully be a productive few months ahead.
Tuesday - ??

Bent Over Rows

20kg 8
35kg 4x6

Barbell OHP

10kg 8
20kg 5x5

One Arm DB Rows

15kg 2x6

DB Bench Press

15kg 6, 6, 8

Barbell Curls

20kg 3x6

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 3x15

Incline Treadmill, 9 minutes

After a s**t two days and not feeling in the mood in the slightest, a bit of a mixed workout.

As is the case when every little thing seems to be going wrong, the gym was unexplainably packed. So with no squat rack, bar or bench to take, I did rows (which were nicer than normal), then OHP which was a good 5x5 but might have involved a bit of back arching.

Enjoyed the one arm rows, and DB bench was a pleasant change, felt good.

Was an alright workout I guess, just with no real leg stuff. Better than not going I guess.
Friday - A

Squats

20kg 6
40kg 6
60kg 4x5

Bent Over Rows

25kg 6
35kg 3x5

Bench Press

10kg 8 (dumbbells)
30kg 3x6
32.5kg 5
35kg 2x5

Barbell Curls

15kg 8
15kg 5 (this was OHP)
20kg 6 (curls again)
15kg 6

DB Forearm Twists and Curls

9.5kg 10
7.5kg 3x15

Predictably a bit average, and a bit lethargic. Been ill (again ffs) for two weeks and so a fresh start for 2015 needed. Today and Sunday are just getting back into a routine.

Squats were tough. Legs were struggling by the end so only did four sets. Rows were a bit meh, bench was decent, curls were ok and OHP I decided I cba. Again, just about restarting stuff today, hence not overdoing the weight.

Edit: Oh, and weighed myself yesterday and lost a couple of pounds over Christmas. Not many people can claim that...
(edited 9 years ago)
Sunday - A

Bench Press

20kg 8
30kg 6
32.5kg 6
35kg 4x5

Bent Over Rows

20kg 8
30kg 4x6

Overhead Press

15kg 3x8

One Arm DB Rows

10kg 2x8

Barbell Curls

15kg 2x8
20kg 4
15kg 1x6

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 2x15

Decent enough workout. Was almost not gonna bother as my legs haven't recovered from Friday, so decided to not do any leg work. Probably helped bench and rows, rows especially felt decent and I think 30kg is more controlled than 35kg at the minute.

Over the next four weeks I'll be walking an extra three miles a day (Monday-Friday at least) but not doing any more intense cardio like badminton, so didn't want to ruin my legs for tomorrow. Will probably do me a lot of good to do more walking.

Routine aim for now is;

A

Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Overhead Press 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x6-8
Forearm exercises

B

Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Bench Press 3x8 or 4x8
Tricep exercises

Think I need to do less bicep work and more tricep work but tbh at this stage it's probably not important either way, just need to be more consistent and hopefully go at least one month without being ill...
Thursday - A

Bench Press
20kg 8
30kg 6
35kg 5x5

Squats

20kg 6
40kg 6
62.5kg 5x5

Overhead Press

15kg 9, 7, 8

Bent Over Rows

30kg 6, 8

DB One Arm Rows

12.5kg 2x8

Barbell Curls

15kg 3x8
20kg 6

DB Twists and Curls

10kg 2x15

Probably wasn't at my best, dunno if it was tiredness or whatever, but benching to start and squatting in general were difficult. Rest was all a bit mismatched but alright.

Could really do with a decent sleep tonight to go better at the weekend.

Plan to eat more in general too, need to start gaining weight and should help progress.

Quick Reply

Latest