The Student Room Group

Going to university with my high school friend...Need some advice please??!

So this wasn't planned at all. We both had our reasons for picking this university, it was my firm and I got in, and it was my friend's insurance. She did not get into her firm choice so we're going to the same university.

Coincidentally, we even ended up in the same halls. :s-smilie:

I have known her for 7 years, and we got especially close this year, but I've always felt like I've lived in her shadow, and she always makes me feel very weak. Even when I reached out to other people in school and made friends with them, she interferes with my individual friendships and my new friends end up being closer to her than me.
This has been going on for as long as I've known her. I can't tell her that and I always feel so powerless around her. She's pretty excited about going to uni with me, which makes me feel even more guilty about saying this.

I have been excited for uni for as long as I can remember, mainly because I love my course, but also because I thought people would respect me more than in school, and I could be less awkward and try new things etc. Although I love her and had no intention of cutting my ties with her after uni, the idea of going to the same uni is horrible to me, because I can never be my complete self around her, she is quite judgmental. I thought uni would be the one chance for me to re-invent myself and have a fresh start, but with my friend always around me now I don't know how I'm gonna do that.

I really need some advice on how I can make the most of my experience and make new friends despite my friend being there!

Thank you!
Let her know how you feel and you want some space that's all. Just say everything you've just written. If she goes around telling people bad things about you then aleast you've got her off your back and found out how she's really like
Wait it out uni changes ppl, no need to create rifts before you even start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending