The Student Room Group

Question About Postgraduate Diploma

I'm actually in a situation where I want to study something different from my Bachelors for my Masters. I'm starting my last year in Mechanical Engineering this September but I want to study a discipline in Physics, most notably Astronomy. I have a 2:1 for my first year and second year. It seems that many universities tell me that this will be difficult so I am wondering whether I should apply for a Postgraduate Diploma instead of a normal Postgraduate degree. The thing that I am afraid of is that I feel that a Postgraduate Diploma doesn't seem like a reputable degree type. I am aware that the only difference is that the research paper is absent in a Diploma. I'm sure you understand what I mean by this; the Diploma seems like something inferior to a normal Masters. I would like some advice on this.
Reply 1
Usually when a student doesn't obtain enough credits for the Msc degree, he or she is given a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate. It's taken to be a postgrad qualification, but less of that of an Msc but higher of that of a Bsc.

A lot of people do Postgrad diplomas as a sort of "conversion course" into their new field of study. It usually consists of 3rd year Bsc modules and some easier Msc modules. I don't think the postgrad diplomas have the same amount of content as the Msc and there usually isn't a dissertation.

Now the whole point is whether you can get onto the Msc with your current Bsc. If you can't, the uni will most likely make you do a post grad diploma and then if you pass that, let you do the Msc the year after.
Reply 2
It's not a bad course, it's a stepping stone onto a Msc usually.
Reply 3
Original post by godd
Usually when a student doesn't obtain enough credits for the Msc degree, he or she is given a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate. It's taken to be a postgrad qualification, but less of that of an Msc but higher of that of a Bsc.

A lot of people do Postgrad diplomas as a sort of "conversion course" into their new field of study. It usually consists of 3rd year Bsc modules and some easier Msc modules. I don't think the postgrad diplomas have the same amount of content as the Msc and there usually isn't a dissertation.

Now the whole point is whether you can get onto the Msc with your current Bsc. If you can't, the uni will most likely make you do a post grad diploma and then if you pass that, let you do the Msc the year after.

Thanks for the clarification. I assume even a Diploma is quite difficult because you would be learning everything in 3 years in 1 year. Would this be an accurate statement?
Reply 4
Original post by piskantilia
Thanks for the clarification. I assume even a Diploma is quite difficult because you would be learning everything in 3 years in 1 year. Would this be an accurate statement?

Yes it would be difficult as you be thrown into the deep end. You would essentially be doing Year 3 and Postgraduate Modules without having done Year 1 and Year 2 modules.

Though you would catch up in no time.
Reply 5
Original post by godd
Yes it would be difficult as you be thrown into the deep end. You would essentially be doing Year 3 and Postgraduate Modules without having done Year 1 and Year 2 modules.

Though you would catch up in no time.

Thank you, I think I understand a bit better what a diploma actually is now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending