The Student Room Group

Can i have some advice please?? - Car

Hi,

I have seen a car that I would really like to get and I am maybe viewing it at the weekend but I dont have enough money to insure it fully for the year yet. Is there a way I can get this car to mine without insuring it? or maybe insuring it for a short period?

I havent managed to find any short term insurance companies that will allow a 19 year old to insure a car short term.

Please help

Thanks Guys :biggrin:
Reply 1
Don't be stupid its not worth getting 6 points on your licence for no insurance there are cameras, police everywhere.
As far as i know you have to have a licence for a min of 6 months to get short period insurance, How long have you had your's for? Can't you afford to pay monthly for a full year insurance?
Reply 2
Hi,

I have had my licence for 5 months and the quote I have found includes a box and I have to pay a deposit for it,

What short term insurance companies would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well i don't think there is any that provides cover for people who has had a licence for under 6 months, All insurance companies want deposits when you pay monthly anyway so i think it would be best if you just buy a years insurance and pay monthly.
Reply 4
Oh right ok, I'll have to look into maybe insuring it for my mum for a short period so she can bring it down,

Thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What do you mean insuring it for your mum so she can bring it down?
If she's the only one on the insurance you can't drive it :P
You have to be the main driver and your mum additional driver.
Reply 6
I know but I mean I sure her on short term until I can afford to get my full ingenie insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beckyb95
Hi,

I have had my licence for 5 months and the quote I have found includes a box and I have to pay a deposit for it,

What short term insurance companies would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Add named drivers e.g your mum? You'll be the main driver, but a named driver can bring down the costs. Also check comparison sites for quotes, etc. I find when I use confused.com in particular my quotes are far cheaper than other methods of getting a quote.

Also no guarantee you'll get the car, say its rubbish when you check it out, rust, engine issues, etc
Reply 8
Thanks for that, will bear that in mind, just found the car has been sold 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I used http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk for a 2 month policy once. It was not cheap at £70 per month but that was more down to the insurance group of the car. There are plenty of day cover sites where it costs around £30 to insure a car for the day which is ideal if you need to pick up a privately sold vehicle and just need to get it home onto your drive.
Reply 10
Original post by kennyken
I used http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk for a 2 month policy once. It was not cheap at £70 per month but that was more down to the insurance group of the car. There are plenty of day cover sites where it costs around £30 to insure a car for the day which is ideal if you need to pick up a privately sold vehicle and just need to get it home onto your drive.

Oh great thanks, that's the answer I wanted thanks, I'll look at that link for when I get a car thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending