zimzim40
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I was wondering... is it easy? Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zimzim40)
Hi, I was wondering... is it easy? Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???
Personally, I found it very easy it's mostly just memorisation, and I think that would help, yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
zimzim40
Rep:
?
Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation!
zimzim40
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
Personally, I found it very easy it's mostly just memorisation, and I think that would help, yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation! Post rating: 0

Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation! Post rating: 0

You'll be fine then for my board there was no understanding whatsoever, you just need to be aware of the beliefs of certain religions, their views on issues such as abortion, life after death, euthanasia, alcohol, capital punishment, their teachings etc
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found it really easy. I didn't even complete the paper and managed to still pass it.
patronusleviosa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
had to that in year 10 (but have to do it again because we're doing a full course now) but anyway received an A* in that, RE's really easy, just memorise quotes and learn their beliefs, i recommend referring to 2-3 religions, it helped me but hey we're all different.
zimzim40
Rep:
?
It's not like English literature is it? and what board were all of you???
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not at all I was with edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
fudgeboy989
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Was getting B's and C's all year until I revised properly once for my real exam and got a*

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's pretty easy, but make sure you do revision for it - most people at my school just didn't bother because it was 'easy' and didn't do very well. They passed, but rarely with anything higher than a B. I was with Edexcel by the way (units 1 and 8). If you are studying the same religion as you follow, you might be at a bit of an advantage, though as a Christian I didn't find the Islam areas particularly difficult. As with pretty much every GCSE exam, it's just a list of facts you need to learn - get those sorted and you'll excel. English and Maths are the main exceptions to this subject I think.
patronusleviosa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i wouldn't think so. english lit is more of a analytical subject, i guess you can analyse certain religious quotes and refer them to your answers. AQA :bl:
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was forced to do RE by school. 2 years of teaching, revision on the day, and came out with an A (one of my friends did no revision and got an A*)

I did Edexcel units 1 & 8 - most of it was memorisation, knowing bible quotes and common sense (EG 'What is the UK law on abortion, 8 marks) The harder paper was the paper was the Islam paper - purely because we only covered Islam in year 11, whereas we'd done Christianity all the way through school.

I would say you have to be careful though, it's so easy, the grade boundaries are ridiculously high.
amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's very easy once you know how to answer the questions! Most of it is common sense! I got an A on Edexcel this summer and was probably one of the easiet GCSEs I took and I'm not even religious!
saffybonbon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's pretty easy if you learn a variety of views and loads of quotes. I did OCR and got an A*, and I only started revising 2 days before the exam. Generally I stuck by my policy of make up something vaguely convincing and link it to lots of other stuff you have previously mentioned. You'll definitely be fine.
catrinana
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's pretty easy. Idk what exam board you're on (I did AQA), but for us we had a mix of short one-sentence answers, 3-4 mark questions, and longer essay questions - for the longer questions, as long as you come up with one religious teaching or reason per mark you'll do fine. It's almost like bullet-pointing (don't actually use bullet points though, use paragraphs) - essentially, all you have to do it write one statement after another, with an explanation why that teaching is for/against something.

Spoiler:
Show
e.g. Should religious believers support animal rights? (6 marks)
-Buddhists would say yes because karma... (explain further)
-Buddhists would say yes because ahimsa... (explain further)
-Christians would say yes because stewardship... (explain further)
-Christians would say yes because [insert other religious teachings quote]... (explain further)
-I think... (explain your POV)
-However others may disagree with me because... (explain disagreeing POV)

Boom, full marks.

Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???
Definitely! You can use other teachings you know from your religion that may not have been taught to the rest of the class, and should already know all the main ones used in the syllabus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.74%
Labour (319)
42.7%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.35%
Green Party (41)
5.49%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)