The Student Room Group

Advice for people starting A levels?

I am just about to go into year 12 does anyone have any helpful tips e.g. revision, organisation, workload ect?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I really need some advise and fast. I am starting a- levels in order to study medicine at uni however i'm stuck between choosing maths or physics as a third AS. Which one would universities prefer and why.
Reply 2
Original post by quicksilver_09
Hey, I really need some advise and fast. I am starting a- levels in order to study medicine at uni however i'm stuck between choosing maths or physics as a third AS. Which one would universities prefer and why.

Maths is definitely more important. What other subjects are you taking?

As long as you have the requirements for the medical school which is usually Chemistry and sometimes biology, then your other choices won't matter too much. If I were in your position I'd pick Maths because I can see it being more useful for you in terms of your other subjects and your degree, but there obviously won't be a massive difference if you pick Physics.

What are the other A levels you've chosen?
I will give some general advices regarding Sixth Form.
1) Make sure you are prepared for your lessons in sixth form, this include things like equipments, as in sixth forms school don't give out exercise book anymore! And I always find it better to read ahead of the textbook before the lessons, so you can have an rough ideas of what to expect and any queries you have, you can then address it with the teacher in lessons.
2) Revise early, the volume of knowledge and level of understanding required is a lot higher in A-level than GCSE, so make sure you go over your class notes after every lessons and address anything you don't understand. Make sure you start revision early and use plenty of past papers, as marking become specific and harsh at A-levels.
3) Make sure you understand, not just rote learning (Can't stress this enough)

Of course, make sure you have some fun and enjoy your time in Sixth Form, you will only go through sixth form once in your life.
Reply 5
Use your study periods during the week. People tend to muck around and do **** all in them, but its worth making good use of them.

Also start revising for your summer exams no later than the start of April.

The workload in A-level is pretty chilled, you can definitely take up a part-time job (up to 20 hours a week) and still ace your exams. But you need discipline and organization.
Reply 6
Does anyone have any tips for geography (edexcel)?

It's ideal to have maths with physics, but the same isn't said for physics with maths. Thus, take Maths. I assume your other options are Chemistry, Biology and [essay subject]?
Original post by Manexopi
Does anyone have any tips for geography (edexcel)?

I did AS geography, carrying it on to A2 :smile:

If you did Edexcel for geography GCSE it's not much of a step up - you just learn different topics (nothing about volcanoes though :frown:) and the format of the exam is pretty much exactly the same, you just get a 10 and a 15 mark question at the end.

There are 2 exams - one of them is based on fieldwork and research, so you go on a school trip for that. We did literally nothing on our trip but I got an A in that exam by writing as if I did, so I'm sure you'll be even better off than I was!

Definitely give yourself time for revision though, since I felt completely swamped by the time the exams came around, and do all the past papers and get your teachers to mark them (I found this super useful)

Good luck :tongue:
Is biology a must to do medicine ? I' was offed physics, math, chemistry & economics. But them if biology is a must for medicine then I guess I'll have to choose biology in some other college. My sixth form isn't offering me biology because I did better in physics. :frown: any advice?
Reply 10
Original post by GoldStarStickers
I did AS geography, carrying it on to A2 :smile:

If you did Edexcel for geography GCSE it's not much of a step up - you just learn different topics (nothing about volcanoes though :frown:) and the format of the exam is pretty much exactly the same, you just get a 10 and a 15 mark question at the end.

There are 2 exams - one of them is based on fieldwork and research, so you go on a school trip for that. We did literally nothing on our trip but I got an A in that exam by writing as if I did, so I'm sure you'll be even better off than I was!

Definitely give yourself time for revision though, since I felt completely swamped by the time the exams came around, and do all the past papers and get your teachers to mark them (I found this super useful)

Good luck :tongue:

That's good to know :biggrin: I don't like volcanoes all that much anyways more into the water and coast topics (:

Do you need to revise for the fieldwork paper then? Please tell me there aren't loads of case studies? I still remember figures from the GCSE ones -.-

What other subjects did you take and did it help with any? I'm also doing Chem and bio (+maths) and i found geo helped at GCSE.

Thanks, good luck for your A2s!
That's good to know :biggrin: I don't like volcanoes all that much anyways more into the water and coast topics (:

Do you need to revise for the fieldwork paper then? Please tell me there aren't loads of case studies? I still remember figures from the GCSE ones -.-

What other subjects did you take and did it help with any? I'm also doing Chem and bio (+maths) and i found geo helped at GCSE.

Thanks, good luck for your A2s!

It get's split into human and physical geography - you learn quite a few case studies for physical geography (human was easier for me, and way more interesting) but in my exam I barely got asked about any of them :angry: I think you had to learn more at GCSE really

You do have to revise, but not out of the textbook. The CGP revision guide is amazing for the fieldwork exam - it gives you so much to use in the exam (more than my actual teachers gave me!) and makes things a lot clearer to understand.

Wow you're doing exactly the same as I did! Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Geography :biggrin: It overlaps in one of the Chemistry units, and looking through the A2 textbook it overlaps a bit in A2 biology :smile: I'm dropping maths though - people say it's wayyyy more useful than it actually is!

You're welcome, and thanks!
Original post by Rock-Sophie
Is biology a must to do medicine ? I' was offed physics, math, chemistry & economics. But them if biology is a must for medicine then I guess I'll have to choose biology in some other college. My sixth form isn't offering me biology because I did better in physics. :frown: any advice?

I'm applying to do medicine as well :tongue: biology isn't an entry requirement, but I guess it will be really useful to have, since it's so relevant to medicine! Lots of people get in to do medicine just fine without it, so don't worry too much. Make sure your college know you want to do medicine and maybe they'll change the offer?
Reply 13
Original post by -maddy-
I am just about to go into year 12 does anyone have any helpful tips e.g. revision, organisation, workload ect?

Ah yay! Starting sixth form! best advice I could give and sounds really simple is just do the work as soon as you get it, I did a couple of coursework based subjects and a couple of essay based, but as soon as you get it when you have a spare moment just get it done!

I looked at Queen Mary, KCL, UCL and Nottingham and they ask for both. Aberdeen, Dundee and Bristol ask for Chemistry and one other science.

So, you can take Chemistry and not Biology, but your choice of university is severly restricted.
do you use the same study sklls as in GCSE's just more in depth or completely different skills

Look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

You need chemistry, and you're doing it. Should be fine for most unis.
Original post by -maddy-

You do not need to do 5 AS levels or 4 A Levels unless youre planning on doing maths/going to cambridge or oxford! My teachers tried to persuade me to do this and I didnt let them, ended up getting an A*AA and got a place at Kings College London...

You DONT need four A Levels, all of my friends who did four did worse that those doing three. It's the worst thing you can do for your studies unless youre naturally extremely talented and dedicated.

Wish you all the best!
Reply 18
Original post by GoldStarStickers
It get's split into human and physical geography - you learn quite a few case studies for physical geography (human was easier for me, and way more interesting) but in my exam I barely got asked about any of them :angry: I think you had to learn more at GCSE really

You do have to revise, but not out of the textbook. The CGP revision guide is amazing for the fieldwork exam - it gives you so much to use in the exam (more than my actual teachers gave me!) and makes things a lot clearer to understand.

Wow you're doing exactly the same as I did! Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Geography :biggrin: It overlaps in one of the Chemistry units, and looking through the A2 textbook it overlaps a bit in A2 biology :smile: I'm dropping maths though - people say it's wayyyy more useful than it actually is!

You're welcome, and thanks!

We didn't get asked for a lot of case studies in the exams either o_O is this a thing now lol I don't mind human geography as long as its not anything like that stupid uk economy topic.

So is that just the normal geo cgp book then? Everyone and their mothers rave about the cgp books so I may give them a try.

Omg I'm gonna drop maths too! I feel like I would struggle big time at A2 because maths is honestly not where my strengths lie I just like it (: what course you applying for?
We didn't get asked for a lot of case studies in the exams either o_O is this a thing now lol I don't mind human geography as long as its not anything like that stupid uk economy topic.

So is that just the normal geo cgp book then? Everyone and their mothers rave about the cgp books so I may give them a try.

Omg I'm gonna drop maths too! I feel like I would struggle big time at A2 because maths is honestly not where my strengths lie I just like it (: what course you applying for?

It's so annoying! Case studies take up the most time out of everything -_- oh god you don't get anything tha boring, it's just populations, globalisation and stuff like that :smile:

Yep it's just the edexcel cgp book, it's amazing :biggrin:

I'm applying for medicine :smile: tbh maths isn't as bad as you might think, it's just SO boring and it feels so unnecessary sometimes - I dont feel like I learnt anything worthwhile in maths tbh! I used to like it as well, definitely changed over the year!

Quick Reply

Latest