Who offers the best distance learning courses for A-Levels French/Spanish? 2014/15

Watch
victoria_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there

I would like to complete A2 French and Spanish (AQA), by distance learning, any advice to which is the best company to use? (my AS results French and Spanish: AA)

I had a look at DLC distance-learning-centre.co .uk and OOL oxford open learning.. has anyone used them before?

What about self teaching?
Anyone studying distance learning A levels languages & want to share their experience?
ellisd2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi and congratulations on your AS results.

I'm currently looking at the same two distance learning organisations and asking that very question.

I'm a mature student and I've recently taken my French GCSE, and would like to take French A Level next. Having looked at several distance learning options I've come down to deciding between these two, who are both listed on the abcc website for ethics.

My experiences when contacting them by phone or email is that Oxford Open Learning are more helpful and willing to advise, guide and assist me than the Distance Learning Centre, even though they both have a vested interest in doing so.

The Distance Learning Centre could not provide a sample lesson, nor is there one on the website, and they've not been helpful in their responses to my emails. On the other hand the Oxford Open Learning have, without requesting, sent an email with the Introduction to A Level French and a Sample Lesson attached, even though they are both on the website. Our telephone conversations followed the same pattern.

I've yet to make a decision, but I thought I'd share this with you.
victoria_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

thanks for sharing!

I've just contacted DLC via mail and they were quite helpful. However as you already mentioned there is no Introduction to A Level French / Spanish. I asked them what the course would include in terms of course materials: A4 ring bound paper-based materials with additional audio CDs. Access to Nelson Thornes online resources at Kerboodle. Additional reading is not included so the books (AQA) would be purchased separately. Same with ool.

I still can't decide.. probably I'll opt for ool. what about you?

I am happy to help you with AS French if you like. Just pm me.
Would be nice hearing from you
ellisd2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi again

I agree, they both seem to offer the same things for the same price, ie course materials, audio cds, access to Kerboodle, tutor support, with books and exam entries being extra.

I've looked at the Introduction and Sample Lesson from Oxford Open Learning and, with nothing from the Distance Learning Centre to compare it with, I've decided to go with OOL. I'm going to complete the application form this afternoon.

Thanks for the offer of help by the way, it's very kind of you, I may need it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (84)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.25%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.31%

Watched Threads