Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of starting a thread where those who are going to be at Cambridge for the year 2004-2005 can get to know a little bit about other students who will be there. Basically you will put a little info about yourself, such as your hobbies, avoiding personal details such as address and e-mail like the plague, and then people can read it and PM you if they'd like to talk. That way everyone might find someone to talk to so they won't feel totally alone when they start. So here goes.

I'm Michael and I'll be starting a Natural Sciences (Physical) at Trinity in October (grades permitting!). I like to read a lot, particularly science fiction and fantasy. I am currently trying to write a sci-fi book, but so far I've only done about 7 A4 pages so far and I keep on wanting to write but not doing so. I like to play Computer games, particularly RPGs and Strategy games. I support my local Rugby League team, since Rugby is so much better than football and League is better than Union (I can see arguements breaking out here). I've been learning to row for the past year and a half and have raced and lost! I used to play table tennis and I may start again after the exams. Apart from that, I'm not very sporty.
    I'm an outdoor kind of person. I like hiking and camping, as well as climbing and canoeing. I would love to do a parachute jump as I'm a bit of a thrillseeker and I love rollercoasters.

Can't think of anything else. What about the rest of you?

Remember, NO FLAMING! PM if you want to talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I support my local Rugby League team, since Rugby is so much better than football and League is better than Union (I can see arguements breaking out here).
    Noooooo! Please, please don't start this one again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Noooooo! Please, please don't start this one again...
    Whoops!

Just ignore that. So anyone want to say anything about themselves?
    What about you Helenia?

I was thinking of starting a thread where those who are going to be at Cambridge for the year 2004-2005 can get to know a little bit about other students who will be there. Basically you will put a little info about yourself, such as your hobbies, avoiding personal details such as address and e-mail like the plague, and then people can read it and PM you if they'd like to talk. That way everyone might find someone to talk to so they won't feel totally alone when they start. So here goes.

I'm Michael and I'll be starting a Natural Sciences (Physical) at Trinity in October (grades permitting!). I like to read a lot, particularly science fiction and fantasy. I am currently trying to write a sci-fi book, but so far I've only done about 7 A4 pages so far and I keep on wanting to write but not doing so. I like to play Computer games, particularly RPGs and Strategy games. I support my local Rugby League team, since Rugby is so much better than football and League is better than Union (I can see arguements breaking out here). I've been learning to row for the past year and a half and have raced and lost! I used to play table tennis and I may start again after the exams. Apart from that, I'm not very sporty.
    I'm an outdoor kind of person. I like hiking and camping, as well as climbing and canoeing. I would love to do a parachute jump as I'm a bit of a thrillseeker and I love rollercoasters.

hahahahhahahahaha

A 'thrill seeker' who enjoys watching rugby, playing table tennis, and RPG games/sci-fi
    I think you'll find you've just flamed yourself there
    J

ReputationRep:

Alright, cool. Groovy idea. I you don't take it personally I'll just lift your format entirely.

I'm Duncan and I'll be starting Philosophy at Sidney Sussex in October ( unconditional offer ). I like to read a lot, particularly history and ... hell whatever takes my fancy. Taken a real shine to the Very Short Introductions series recently, if anyone knows what I'm on about.

Weirdly enough I've also tried my hand at writing ( I was giving serious thought to trooping off to Aberystwyth to do Creative Writing there ) and I've tried starting to write on a proper scale but most of what I produced was god awful. So far the only half-decent things I've written have been short stories.

I also like to play computer games and again ( are we soulmates or is this going to be true of everyone who's going to Cambridge ) strategy and RPGs. I used to play rugby for about two years because they needed the numbers to keep in the league but stopped because of Glandular Fever, exams and a plentiful lack of skill. I'm fond of table-tennis, have never tried rowing and enjoy playing most sports but are completely rubbish at them all. Except badminton... I'm not GOOD at that you understand, I just don't like it.

I'm an outdoor person when outdoors. I like to hill walk, this afternoon I walked up Arthur's Seat which is the big hill ( 250m ish ) overlooking Edinburgh and last July I walked 80 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh without any food and lost a stone and a half in the process ( and another stone and a half in the week following because of something I caught from drinking out the clyde ).

To break out of the mould a little:

I'm from Rutherglen which is a town in its own right but really has become a large suburb of Glasgow the largest town in Scotland. I've lived here all my life and in the past year I have become a bit of a nationalist ( in the romantic, not the fascist sense ) but I think that's more to do with learning more about our history than anything else.

I picked Philosophy as a subject because I like new ideas and I love to argue. Academically I'm a jack of all trades and took highers ( AS level.... sort of ) in English, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Modern Studies and Computing but did an Advanced Higher in English because of my other great love; books.

I love to read books, buy books, sell books, borrow books, lend books, sort books, list books, stack books, smell books and look at books in that order. I was trying to get a job in a bookstore for a while but am now glad I didn't cause George Orwell says I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Instead I've been working ( hence the unconditional offer ) for eight months in Maplin Electronics and I've just got a new job for the next five months with the Abbey National. The plan is to work my way into debt rather than starting there.

I picked Sidney because it said it had gardens, state school applicants, foreign students, a 24 hour library and most importantly that it was SMALL. I wanted a small college cause I'd rather be part of a community than just a face in the crowd. I come from a non-selective state school so will be going from being a big fish is a small pond to a small fish in a medium sized one.

Uh.... what else? Politically I'm a left liberal but I can't decide whether to stick with the Lib Dems or make the swing to the SNP. If I was to pick my favourite book it would be a toss-up between Catch-22, Pride and Prejudice and The Catcher in the Rye. I'm a big fan of J.D Salinger, George Orwell and Hunter Thompson. I have a collection of about 300 films most of which have been taped off the TV for home or personal use which is, of course, an infringement of copyright law.

I have brown hair, brown eyes and a normal number of fingers and toes. People that dislike me say I look a lot like Rowan Atkinson. I'm 6'1 and weigh 80kgs. I'm starting to believe the reason I got accepted was because my head teacher used the work perspicacity in my UCAS reference. My favourite cities are Strasbourg, Edinburgh and ... from what I've seen on my two trips down ... Cambridge. Naturally I love Glasgow too but it doesn't count cause everyone loves their hometown.

I travelled to Cambridge for my interview ( first time ) and for the Philosophy open day in Feburary just passed. I loved every minute of both trips and no amount of name-calling from Ms Mann will change that. I'll be the only Philosopher at Sidney ( probably ) so any other soon-to-be-philosophers out there please don't be shy.

That's me, I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    hahahahhahahahaha

A 'thrill seeker' who enjoys watching rugby, playing table tennis, and RPG games/sci-fi
    I think you'll find you've just flamed yourself there
    J
    What's up with that? I can't afford to be thrill seeking all the time!

Thanks Duncan (aka Faboba). Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Well, im supposed to be going to do some revision, otherwise i wont be going, but youve distractred me. I'll write a short bit.

My name is Suzy, and i will be hopefully goinf to study vet med this year at emmanuel. I enjoy music, as i play the clarinet and flute i like some classical to chill out to, but prefer to listen to lots of stuff like ash, coldplay, radiohead(a bit), norah jones, bob marley, and generally anything good. I used to play lots of sport, but dont now due to dropping out oif everything last year and not being bothered to get back in. I do run and go to the gym though. I would like to play netball and/or football at uni, and would also like to try rowing. I am yearbook editior at school, and one of 6 senior students. I like traveling, and went to africa last year for a month. I like going out and having fun doing whatever looks fun. i also am a bit of a shopaholic, and need to get a good job when im older to fund this addiction. Theres lots of stuff ive probably forgotten.

ReputationRep:

Which team would that be? Where about are you from? I'm from Lancs, going to Johns later this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Alright, cool. Groovy idea. I you don't take it personally I'll just lift your format entirely.

I'm Duncan and I'll be starting Philosophy at Sidney Sussex in October ( unconditional offer ). I like to read a lot, particularly history and ... hell whatever takes my fancy. Taken a real shine to the Very Short Introductions series recently, if anyone knows what I'm on about.

Weirdly enough I've also tried my hand at writing ( I was giving serious thought to trooping off to Aberystwyth to do Creative Writing there ) and I've tried starting to write on a proper scale but most of what I produced was god awful. So far the only half-decent things I've written have been short stories.

I also like to play computer games and again ( are we soulmates or is this going to be true of everyone who's going to Cambridge ) strategy and RPGs. I used to play rugby for about two years because they needed the numbers to keep in the league but stopped because of Glandular Fever, exams and a plentiful lack of skill. I'm fond of table-tennis, have never tried rowing and enjoy playing most sports but are completely rubbish at them all. Except badminton... I'm not GOOD at that you understand, I just don't like it.

I'm an outdoor person when outdoors. I like to hill walk, this afternoon I walked up Arthur's Seat which is the big hill ( 250m ish ) overlooking Edinburgh and last July I walked 80 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh without any food and lost a stone and a half in the process ( and another stone and a half in the week following because of something I caught from drinking out the clyde ).

To break out of the mould a little:

I'm from Rutherglen which is a town in its own right but really has become a large suburb of Glasgow the largest town in Scotland. I've lived here all my life and in the past year I have become a bit of a nationalist ( in the romantic, not the fascist sense ) but I think that's more to do with learning more about our history than anything else.

I picked Philosophy as a subject because I like new ideas and I love to argue. Academically I'm a jack of all trades and took highers ( AS level.... sort of ) in English, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Modern Studies and Computing but did an Advanced Higher in English because of my other great love; books.

I love to read books, buy books, sell books, borrow books, lend books, sort books, list books, stack books, smell books and look at books in that order. I was trying to get a job in a bookstore for a while but am now glad I didn't cause George Orwell says I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Instead I've been working ( hence the unconditional offer ) for eight months in Maplin Electronics and I've just got a new job for the next five months with the Abbey National. The plan is to work my way into debt rather than starting there.

I picked Sidney because it said it had gardens, state school applicants, foreign students, a 24 hour library and most importantly that it was SMALL. I wanted a small college cause I'd rather be part of a community than just a face in the crowd. I come from a non-selective state school so will be going from being a big fish is a small pond to a small fish in a medium sized one.

Uh.... what else? Politically I'm a left liberal but I can't decide whether to stick with the Lib Dems or make the swing to the SNP. If I was to pick my favourite book it would be a toss-up between Catch-22, Pride and Prejudice and The Catcher in the Rye. I'm a big fan of J.D Salinger, George Orwell and Hunter Thompson. I have a collection of about 300 films most of which have been taped off the TV for home or personal use which is, of course, an infringement of copyright law.

I have brown hair, brown eyes and a normal number of fingers and toes. People that dislike me say I look a lot like Rowan Atkinson. I'm 6'1 and weigh 80kgs. I'm starting to believe the reason I got accepted was because my head teacher used the work perspicacity in my UCAS reference. My favourite cities are Strasbourg, Edinburgh and ... from what I've seen on my two trips down ... Cambridge. Naturally I love Glasgow too but it doesn't count cause everyone loves their hometown.

I travelled to Cambridge for my interview ( first time ) and for the Philosophy open day in Feburary just passed. I loved every minute of both trips and no amount of name-calling from Ms Mann will change that. I'll be the only Philosopher at Sidney ( probably ) so any other soon-to-be-philosophers out there please don't be shy.

That's me, I'm out.
    Wow, you've written that well! I read it all and enjoyed doing so, but then again I do love to read about people.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds ok to me. You'll forgive me if anything seems a bit odd, i was out last night and have not recovered at all today.

My name's Daniel and (fingers crossed) i'll be studying Vet Med at Girton (big hi!!! to Suzy). I love music listening to it and makin it, i'm a classical singer but have dabbled in show music (have just finished doing Les Mis with school). I sing in a local Youth Choir and also play viola (no jokes) in the orchestra of the same music centre. As for listenin, anything does it for me but lately I've been listening to The Coral, Led Zepplin, Wishbone Ash, ZZ Top as well as a bit of Coldplay, Nickleback and other stuff. I like my sport too, as i like to at least attempt to stay in shape. I play goalkeeper for my college 1st XI football team and have been known to go for Ju-jitsu, squash, athletics and basketball but i'll try most things, as long as it ain't too dangerous, because goalkeeping is bad enough for my health.
    I also go for reading (have just finished "His Dark Materials", they were absolutely excellent) and i like mu R&R time, especially in the middle of all the revision for the exams, which is driving me slowly but surely toward madness. GRRRR!!! :mad:
    i'm about 6' tall, bout 12 st (75kg i think) although it tends to very quite a bit depending on how stressed i happen to be at the time. I've got fairly short brown hair, broadish shoulders and i dress for comfort. I really don't care what people choose to think of me coz i always try to do the right thing and i'll always help out a friend. I'm also cynical and sarcastic at times but everyone has a fault (or in my case many!!)
    As for my Uni choices, i only have 2, RVC is my insurance as i need AAB to get in there. I absolutly fell in love with Cambridge from the moment i first saw it and i'm lookin forward to going to Cambridge more than anything, but i'm a bit worried about leavin everything and everyone i know this October. I'll especially miss my friends from the Music Centre but i'm looking forward to meeting new people as well.

Well guess that's it coz i'm not thinking straight so i'd better stop before i ramble on too much more and people start falling out of their chairs, dead from boredom. I wish everyone the best of luck with the exams and hope to see you all this October.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops!

Just ignore that. So anyone want to say anything about themselves?
    What about you Helenia?
    I'm already here, I'm not very interesting, if you are a medic or at Clare you might see me.

ReputationRep:
    Im dont dissin anythin about cambridge or anything because its great uni and anyone to be accepted is privileged whatever college you go to, but, theres cambridge uni, and then theres girton, theres the buses that leave to varisty matches from the city centre, and then the ones that leave from girton, who was possessed to build a college miles from the uni? this was a long standing immature joke running at my skool throughout our applications. The word would trigger uncontrollable laughing fits amongst a slect few. Just thought ud like to hear this particularly emotive story. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    Im dont dissin anythin about cambridge or anything because its great uni and anyone to be accepted is privileged whatever college you go to, but, theres cambridge uni, and then theres girton, theres the buses that leave to varisty matches from the city centre, and then the ones that leave from girton, who was possessed to build a college miles from the uni? this was a long standing immature joke running at my skool throughout our applications. The word would trigger uncontrollable laughing fits amongst a slect few. Just thought ud like to hear this particularly emotive story. lol
    Pollo Loco is going to study vetmed, which means he couldnt have picked a better college than Girton!

ReputationRep:
    I've been over to Girton quite a few times and it isn't that far away. The food is good for those adventurous enough to venture over that way.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm Amy and I'll be (hopefully!) studying Architecture at Selwyn College in October 04. I applied for Architecture cos i'm fascinated by the way buildings work and the way they affect the lives of the people who use them. Architecture's got everything: art, design, history, sociology, psychology and its a field that just keeps on changing. I applied to do Architecture at Cambridge cos the course is so art-based. I'm mad about art and photography. I wish i had more time to spend on drawing, but with Physics and Chemistry A levels that looks highly unlikely . I like reading too: my tastes are quite eclectic. I'm into Ursula LeGuin, Phillip Pullman, Terry Pratchett, Primo Levi and Barbara Kingsolver to name but a few. When it comes to music I like Coldplay, The Thrills, Starsailor, stuff like that. I also play the viola. I’m definitely an outdoors person. I’m not at all sporty when it comes to stuff like netball & hockey but I love cycling, sailing and walking on the moors. My ultimate dream is to learn to fly. I’d love to have a microlight or a paramotor! Ah well, maybe someday… :rolleyes:
    I’m of average height, 8 st, with long red-blonde hair and green eyes.

Well that’s me. I hope 2 c some of in october !

ReputationRep:
    Im dont dissin anythin about cambridge or anything because its great uni and anyone to be accepted is privileged whatever college you go to, but, theres cambridge uni, and then theres girton, theres the buses that leave to varisty matches from the city centre, and then the ones that leave from girton, who was possessed to build a college miles from the uni?
    Emily Davies.

It was founded as a college to enable women to come to the university. It was put in Girton so that they were a suitable distance away from all those rampaging disreputable male students It went mixed sometime in the later half of last century, and is supposed to be an ok place now, just the distance that makes people take the piss.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of a school could have so many Cambridge applicants that the mention of Girton could become a running joke? I feel like an alien here sometimes. I'm the second person to go to Oxbridge from my school for at least the last twelve years, possibly longer.

Apparently Girton has a large number of Scots. Someone I used to work for recommended it to me before I decided on Sidney. Great if you love walking or cycling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    What kind of a school could have so many Cambridge applicants that the mention of Girton could become a running joke? I feel like an alien here sometimes. I'm the second person to go to Oxbridge from my school for at least the last twelve years, possibly longer.
    Your not alone. No-one from my old school had been to Cambridge for years before me either.

Some schools have reunions dinners in Cambridge/Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Your not alone. No-one from my old school had been to Cambridge for years before me either.

Some schools have reunions dinners in Cambridge/Oxford!
    At the moment I'm still learning the subtle art of slipping Cambridge into casual conversation. Some of my segues can still be a little sudden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm already here, I'm not very interesting, if you are a medic or at Clare you might see me.
    *smacks* - putting self down again.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.