Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    was he wrong to say what he did??

ReputationRep:
    Yes there was no excuse on earth to come out with the language that he did. He says he didn't realise he was saying it which just makes it worse in my book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudnet)
    Yes there was no excuse on earth to come out with the language that he did. He says he didn't realise he was saying it which just makes it worse in my book.
    Makes him a man of his times.

ReputationRep:
    he narrow minded and rong he was right about the performance but the racist coment was rong and he just resigned because he knows he rong :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo)
    he narrow minded and rong he was right about the performance but the racist coment was rong and he just resigned because he knows he rong :cool:
    Well, rong or rite, he's resigned anyway.

ReputationRep:
    im reallly happy he resigned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, rong or rite, he's resigned anyway.
    lol!!

He was most definitely rong, and there is absolutely no way of defending him really. However, I wonder whether he would have got the sack if only the ITV broadcasting staff had heard the comments? Such language was clearly in Rons nature, making him a through and through racist, so someone else must've heard him make similar comments off air before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    However, I wonder whether he would have got the sack if only the ITV broadcasting staff had heard the comments? Such language was clearly in Rons nature, making him a through and through racist, so someone else must've heard him make similar comments off air before.
    Spot on. I do not believe that all of a sudden, whilst watching Monaco v Chelsea, Ron Atkinson began to make racist, inappropriate and unnecessary personal comments. Without doubt he must have made similar remarks during previous commentarys and it is only because arabian radio and television picked up what he was saying off air that he has had to resign. It is all rather sad and I am unsure whether I should remove the Big Ron quote from my signature

ReputationRep:
    Lollipops! I think the term was used more in the context of "I really hate that guy at the moment so I'm going to say something that would be really offensive to him" rather than one with any real racial emphasis. I also think that given his era and background the term would come more naturally to him than most of us. I therefore do not consider him to be a racist just someone slightly loose with his words. However, even if he was racist I do not see this as a fair reason for him to lose his job. He has a record of saying stupid things, but by no means of being racist, thus I think it can safely be said that he keeps his views to himself, thus not hurting anyone and not affecting his work, and even on this occasion it was meant to be said in private and what happened was very unfortunate on his part. If he has enough awareness and respect for other people, he shouldn't be punished because his thoughts are questionable and going to offend others. It's not his fault.

I personally take the view that he isn't racist and it wasn't meant in a racist way. I just saw an interview with him on ITV and this was basically what he was trying to say. However, not being great with words, the best he could manage was "In my book it wasn't racist", which I think was actually supposed to come across in the way I've mentioned, but inevitably came across as "****** isn't a racist term". He then just got ripped apart from the interview who retorted: "If you don't think that's racist then you are a racist". I don't think this is fair and Big Ron was visably distraught at the fact that no matter how hard he tried he just could not clear his name. It wouldn't surprise me if as soon as the cameras stopped rolling he broke down.

On the other hand I see that he didn't really have any choice to resign. If he hadn't then ITV wouldn't have had any choice but to sack him, due to the inevitable backlash from equality groups that they would have experienced, which would have made him look even worse. This does not however make it fair that he had to resign and I feel quite sorry that things in the world are such that he did.

ReputationRep:
    Have U Seen Wot Marcel Dessailly Did To That Monaco 's Player
    He Really Deserve To B Banned 4 3matches!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    Have U Seen Wot Marcel Dessailly Did To That Monaco 's Player
    He Really Deserve To B Banned 4 3matches!!
    it was only an elbowing right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    it was only an elbowing right?
    Yeah, exactly, it could have been much worse! He could have later referred to him as a "honky" as part of a frustrated rage or something!

ReputationRep:
    What's disturbing is that 6 people voted to "give him a lolipop" and the highest number of votes was for the second option "yes. now leave it"
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    What's disturbing is that 6 people voted to "give him a lolipop" and the highest number of votes was for the second option "yes. now leave it"
    why is that disturbing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As in they are patting him on the back for using a racist slur against a player

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. The option wasn't actually to give him a lollipop, plus I gave a long reason why it's not disturbing. Didn't you read it?

ReputationRep:
    he said hes sorry and he is not racist anyways

ReputationRep:
    God what an idiot I am I really should read more carefully :rolleyes:

Whatever the case, i just think racist slurs like that and others should not be used at all, they are just not neccesary

ReputationRep:
    They are just not neccesary
    Neither's chocolate.

ReputationRep:

well it seems that we ARE behind ron.

nice one ron
    ha

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.