Bristol vs Durham - What should I have done? Watch

f12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I got my grades and decided to go to Bristol instead of Durham for Economics and Management and to be honest I'm not sure if I've made the right choice...

I couldn't go to UCL, LSE or Warwick because of my ASs not being good enough so I only had these two to pick from.

I loved Bristol when I visited and clearly Bristol as a city is amazing but I never actually visited Durham and I keep on hearing that Durham is more prestigious as a university overall. My brother goes to Durham and he always gets the "Oh Durham wow!" whereas everyone just says "Bristol is nice!". Clearly this is a pretty BS way of calculating the prestige of a uni but I always get the "You should have gone to Durham" look from my parents because they took one glance at the league table and realised Durham is much higher up in the overall rankings. (Do employers look at these?)

Essentially I'm worried that I've put myself in a position where a future employer may not take my application as seriously as someone who went to Durham because it is more prestigious...

How would you all rank Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/UCL?

I thought it was as follows but am now worried it isn't:

UCL
Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh
Nottingham

I didn't even apply to Edinburgh and I've also heard that it's better than Bristol?

Thank you!
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by f12345)
Hi! I got my grades and decided to go to Bristol instead of Durham for Economics and Management and to be honest I'm not sure if I've made the right choice...

I couldn't go to UCL, LSE or Warwick because of my ASs not being good enough so I only had these two to pick from.

I loved Bristol when I visited and clearly Bristol as a city is amazing but I never actually visited Durham and I keep on hearing that Durham is more prestigious as a university overall. My brother goes to Durham and he always gets the "Oh Durham wow!" whereas everyone just says "Bristol is nice!". Clearly this is a pretty BS way of calculating the prestige of a uni but I always get the "You should have gone to Durham" look from my parents because they took one glance at the league table and realised Durham is much higher up in the overall rankings. (Do employers look at these?)

Essentially I'm worried that I've put myself in a position where a future employer may not take my application as seriously as someone who went to Durham because it is more prestigious...

How would you all rank Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/UCL?

I thought it was as follows but am now worried it isn't:

UCL
Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh
Nottingham

I didn't even apply to Edinburgh and I've also heard that it's better than Bristol?

Thank you!
Going on general reputation alone Durham is probably just slightly better than Bristol. Durham is solidly top 10 while Bristol sometimes hangs is solidly top 15.

I think you have your ranking right for economics.

You don't have to worry about that no employer distinguishes between Durham and Bristol.
Calabi-Yau
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like above poster mentioned, if you get a 2:1 from Bristol and someone else has a 2:1 from Durham, you'll both get the interview for job X, it's then up to you how well you perform in that interview. Personally, I think Bristol is the nicest Uni overall I've been to, the place is really nice, Uni is well respected, the nightlife is insane and the people are cool, so you seriously wont regret your decision. What halls are you in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads