Bristol vs Durham - What should I have done? Watch

f12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I got my grades and decided to go to Bristol instead of Durham for Economics and Management and to be honest I'm not sure if I've made the right choice...

I couldn't go to UCL, LSE or Warwick because of my ASs not being good enough so I only had these two to pick from.

I loved Bristol when I visited and clearly Bristol as a city is amazing but I never actually visited Durham and I keep on hearing that Durham is more prestigious as a university overall. My brother goes to Durham and he always gets the "Oh Durham wow!" whereas everyone just says "Bristol is nice!". Clearly this is a pretty BS way of calculating the prestige of a uni but I always get the "You should have gone to Durham" look from my parents because they took one glance at the league table and realised Durham is much higher up in the overall rankings. (Do employers look at these?)

Essentially I'm worried that I've put myself in a position where a future employer may not take my application as seriously as someone who went to Durham because it is more prestigious...

How would you all rank Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/UCL?

I thought it was as follows but am now worried it isn't:

UCL
Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh
Nottingham

I didn't even apply to Edinburgh and I've also heard that it's better than Bristol?

Thank you!
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is nothing you can do now
Skill Twix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by f12345)
Hi! I got my grades and decided to go to Bristol instead of Durham for Economics and Management and to be honest I'm not sure if I've made the right choice...

I couldn't go to UCL, LSE or Warwick because of my ASs not being good enough so I only had these two to pick from.

I loved Bristol when I visited and clearly Bristol as a city is amazing but I never actually visited Durham and I keep on hearing that Durham is more prestigious as a university overall. My brother goes to Durham and he always gets the "Oh Durham wow!" whereas everyone just says "Bristol is nice!". Clearly this is a pretty BS way of calculating the prestige of a uni but I always get the "You should have gone to Durham" look from my parents because they took one glance at the league table and realised Durham is much higher up in the overall rankings. (Do employers look at these?)

Essentially I'm worried that I've put myself in a position where a future employer may not take my application as seriously as someone who went to Durham because it is more prestigious...

How would you all rank Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/UCL?

I thought it was as follows but am now worried it isn't:

UCL
Bristol/Durham/Edinburgh
Nottingham

I didn't even apply to Edinburgh and I've also heard that it's better than Bristol?

Thank you!
What were your AS level grades like?
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry mate. Your job applications will not be thrown away because you chose Bristol (which is brilliant)!

Try hard to get good grades and don't despair about a choice you cannot change now!

Try your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Employers do not discriminate between candidates from comparable universities as a result of any perceived slight differences in prestige; they don't have the time and it really isn't worth it. Bristol and Durham are probably closer to each other than they are to any others. Your own estimation is on the right lines - employers in competitive professions informally grade unis into broad bands probably mostly based on their memories of prestige in their own uni days...your prospects would be no different if you went to Durham or Edinburgh instead - Oxbridge of course, UCL/LSE perhaps but probably only because they are in London and easier to access for targeting etc...your prospects out of Durham, Edinburgh or Bristol depend entirely afterwards on your degree performance, work experience, interviewing skills and how much of an interesting human being you are.

Edit: League tables are unhelpful in that they cause people to focus myopically on negligible differences in percentage points, sometimes less than a single point, and usually without consulting what factors are actually making up this score, but subject rankings with displayed factors can be informative I find. For what it's worth, Bristol scores ahead of Durham overall and specifically for graduate prospects in economics in the complete university guide. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone starts to panic a bit at this stage - 'Have I made the right choice?' - so what you are feeling is quite normal.

All over the UK are thousands of other people who are also worried/excited about starting Uni. Once you get here, you'll realise that its all okay, you are in the right place and within a couple of weeks you'll have forgotten what you were so worried about.

Get excited - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMxTHksVT4
atsruser
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by f12345)
From the point of view of world rankings for research, Bristol is a heavyweight, with Durham lagging somewhat, at least according to these two ranking schemes:

Shanghai Ranking

QS World University Rankings

(and Edinburgh's a bit further up than Bristol on the world rankings)

Domestically, I'd say that in terms of "prestige", there is little difference between the three (where "prestige" may have little to do with position in the various newspaper league tables).
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PS. Employers don't get worked up about League Tables and all that 'prestige' nonsense. This is something that obsesses only school-leavers, and no-one else.

Employer HR Depts do not have copies of the endless annual University League Tables in a A Great Big File and refer to them constantly whilst sifting through job applications. They've got better things to do - like seeing what else you did at University beyond your degree, and if you've actually bother to pack in anything like relevant employment, placements, Year Abroad and anything else that might actually make you more useful to them as an employee.
balalika
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in the same situation as you (Bristol vs Edinburgh). I actually turned down UCL as London is way too expensive. I am already paying out of my ass in tuition fees (international student), and didn't even want to think what accommodation would add up too.

I didn't apply to Durham, as a lot of people on the forums were saying it can be a bit dull, and I wanted to get a part time job whilst studying, I though a city uni would make things easier.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you made the right choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.8%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.76%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (129)
38.17%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.18%

Watched Threads