Are my grades good enough for...

Watch this thread
Barbarian King
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
dentistry/medicine?
I am not searching for entry requirement threads, I want an honest opinion.
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A
Maths - A
English Lang - A
English Lit - A
German - A
Business Studies - A
Latin - A
Religious Studies - B

I will get my RS remarked since I was one mark off an A, and also my maths remarked even though I got 77/100 and was 6 marks away.
06shawm
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zain Amin)
dentistry/medicine?
I am not searching for entry requirement threads, I want an honest opinion.
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A
Maths - A
English Lang - A
English Lit - A
German - A
Business Studies - A
Latin - A
Religious Studies - B

I will get my RS remarked since I was one mark off an A, and also my maths remarked even though I got 77/100 and was 6 marks away.
Those grades are fine for medicine at Manchester. Manchester put more emphasis on the UKCAT and personal statement. I'm a current medical student there so if have any questions, feel free to ask.
Barbarian King
Rep:
(Original post by 06shawm)
Those grades are fine for medicine at Manchester. Manchester put more emphasis on the UKCAT and personal statement. I'm a current medical student there so if have any questions, feel free to ask.
So basically do I just need to work extremely hard on my A levels, and also pass the UKCAT?
Anyway what is the UKCAT? Is it difficult?
06shawm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So basically do I just need to work extremely hard on my A levels, and also pass the UKCAT?
Anyway what is the UKCAT? Is it difficult?
Yes, you would need around 720+ to be above the UKCAT cut-off at Manchester.

The UKCAT is an admissions test that all students must take if they want too apply for medicine. It is made up of 5 sections, each timed.
Barbarian King
Rep:

The UKCAT is an admissions test that all students must take if they want too apply for medicine. It is made up of 5 sections, each timed.
Oh god, so do you do it in college or at home or?
Barbarian King
Rep:

Also say I did;
Bio, Chem, Phy and Maths and got an A in all of them.
And someone else did Bio, Chem, RS and Maths and got an A in all of them.

Is he worth more because he also did a humanity?
06shawm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Oh god, so do you do it in college or at home or?
Also say I did;
Bio, Chem, Phy and Maths and got an A in all of them.
And someone else did Bio, Chem, RS and Maths and got an A in all of them.

Is he worth more because he also did a humanity?
You book it online and it costs around £60-£85 (depending on when you sit it). You will then select a testing centre online (ideally one close to where you live) plus a time and date. You will then take the UKCAT at the testing centre and be given your results immediately. Once you have your result, it will give you a better indication on which medical schools you should apply too.

The fact the other person has done RS will put them at no advantage over yourself.
Barbarian King
Rep:
You book it online and it costs around £60-£85 (depending on when you sit it). You will then select a testing centre online (ideally one close to where you live) plus a time and date. You will then take the UKCAT at the testing centre and be given your results immediately. Once you have your result, it will give you a better indication on which medical schools you should apply too.

The fact the other person has done RS will put them at no advantage over yourself.
Oh god that is scary, what is the highest mark?
And what if I get the highest mark?
06shawm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Oh god that is scary, what is the highest mark?
And what if I get the highest mark?
The highest mark is 900 average over the 4 sub sections and SJT Band 1.

Not sure, you don't get a prize or anything haha, just the satisfaction of achieving a high score!
Barbarian King
Rep:
The highest mark is 900 average over the 4 sub sections and SJT Band 1.

Not sure, you don't get a prize or anything haha, just the satisfaction of achieving a high score!
Oh ok thanks!
Well is there anyway to revise for it?
I want to get 800 in that!
06shawm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Oh ok thanks!
Well is there anyway to revise for it?
I want to get 800 in that!
Yeah there's quite a lot of resources available.

All information about the test can be found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk

The two resources I used were: 600 UKCAT questions by ICS medical and a website called medify.
Barbarian King
Rep:
Yeah there's quite a lot of resources available.

All information about the test can be found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk

The two resources I used were: 600 UKCAT questions by ICS medical and a website called medify.

Alright thanks!
Hopefully I destroy this after I destroy my A levels.
06shawm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Alright thanks!
Hopefully I destroy this after I destroy my A levels.
No problem, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (40)
67.8%
No (15)
25.42%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
6.78%

Watched Threads