The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

amrou
:confused: My dad realllllllllllllly wants me to do art instead of classic civilisation as he said it gives me more 'variety' plus its obvious i wont get an a*, but i can in classic civ, it sounds interesting and im good at essay based subjects, what should i do - should i listen to him

Its your GCSE's, not his, remember that. Also, from my experience, art is bloody hard to get a good grade in. Do what you want..
Reply 2
amrou
:confused: My dad realllllllllllllly wants me to do art instead of classic civilisation as he said it gives me more 'variety' plus its obvious i wont get an a*, but i can in classic civ, it sounds interesting and im good at essay based subjects, what should i do - should i listen to him

It is you who has to do these things for the next two years of your life, do what you want to do, not what anyone else says.
i like both - what is more respected im worried if i dont do art i naroow down my options
Reply 4
amrou
i like both - what is more respected im worried if i dont do art i naroow down my options

Well it depends what you want to do. With GCSEs, if you get good grades, that's more important than getting them all in "respected" subjects. What options would you "narrow down" by not doing art?
architecute, advertiser, designer Plus it also shows im creative
amrou

Do you actually want to be an architect or a graphic designer?

Hmm, art is a lot of work. Don't do it unless you're getting good grades right now and are confident in it, and if you do choose it make sure you put lots of work in right from the start.
Reply 7
amrou

I did art and I really enjoyed it. It was a nice break from all the essays and things you have to do for GCSE! You seem to be worrying about choosing your subjects a lot. My advice is just to relax and do what you think you will enjoy. It's your life not your dad's. GCSE's are important, but it doesn't matter as much about respectability as it does at A level
im not that good atart but i ebnjoy it plus if i do art ill be able to do drama with my friends
Reply 9
Like I said the other day, making your own decisions is an important step in maturation. You know all the influencing factors, now choose!
I CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
Reply 11
amrou
I CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

It's just as much part of your education as going to lessons. Just choose and take the consequences - that's life! You've had a lot of advice from a lot of people, now's the time to decide! :biggrin:
The subjects you choose at GCSE have absolutely no effect on anything to do with careers...like...doing IT doesnt mean youre gonna be a computer operator...youre led to believe that these gcse choices are highly important but they really arent..
Reply 13
amrou

Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do, you're just apprehensive about committing to a definite course of action. As others have said, relax! :smile:

PS, Class Civ rocks! Art might give you more variety in terms of skills, but Class Civ is also a break from the more 'serious' subjects like English, Maths etc, and will also provide a different kind of variety, as you will learn about things that are totally different to topics covered in any of your other subjects.
Reply 14
I'm not sure you should do art, although you enjoy it ..is it worth giving up other subjects for something you say your "not good at"? Maybe i'm wrong, but if you're having doubts now, i think maybe you should ocncentrate on something else. As for it being respected, i wouldn't worry about this, i picked Music Gcse, and there is no debait othe respectability (and this is a creative type gcse)

It's not your dads future as harsh as it may be. I think you should stick to something else, as i have friends who were A* mateiral and thye kinda let things slip a little now they are E grades and things.. but not everybody is like that!
Do what you think but it is hard work, and if you already say you are not good at it..i'm not sure! :rolleyes: good luck though...get the grades not the subjects lol
i am nearly a year through my GCSE course now, wishing i had taken art instead of latin... although art looks fun though, it's really hard! y friends enjoy it and i kind of feel a bit left out - it was my choice though so i can't complain! both my cousins did art for GCSE and really enjoyed it, worked hard and got really good grades!
can i have some more advice
Reply 17
Basically, if you're going to uni, they usually want B/C grades in english, maths and science. Usually they only specify A-level subjects. At most, for course such as medicine, they want 6 A's. In the end, GCSE subjects aren't overly important.

Plus, you can always change your subjects (I changed 2 GCSE subjects and 1 AS subject).
Reply 18
amrou
can i have some more advice

I'm just finishing my art course for GCSE- it was good, but you need to be able to bullsh*t and spend LOTS of time doing it. you also need to study artists etc. and that can be boring if you're not interested in them. however, it does make a nice break from other subjects- but I haven't taken classic civ (?) so i wouldn't know. TBH it isn't the end of the world if three weeks in you decide you want to take the other subject- you can always change :smile:
Reply 19
amrou

Here's somthing you may like to think about. Sometimes it is good to do things you may find more challenging, it sounds to me that you think you would find classics fairly easy. Personally, at GCSE I found english difficult and at AS level I found german very difficult; while I was studying them I hated them, but having worked hard and got reasonable grades they are the qualifications I am most proud of. I just thought you could consider that it is not always best to do what you know you could do easily. Having said that, I would probably choose classics; you preach best what you most need to learn.

Latest

Trending

Trending