The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aim for Art, you'll enjoy the challenge. and is more respected than CC in some respects for courses.

After all when you do finish the GCSE course, you will be pleased that you actually took on a very very challenging course and pulled through.
Reply 21
no offence but you have started 4 or 5 seperate threads asking for GCSE subject advice ffs. Just chill and chose what you want it wont narrow your options at all.
Reply 22
Lagz
no offence but you have started 4 or 5 seperate threads asking for GCSE subject advice ffs. Just chill and chose what you want it wont narrow your options at all.

I agree with this person! :cool: , when we do give you advice,you say "any more advice", buy at the end of the day, you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it. In other words, you have to think for yourself, what everybody is saying will probably confuse you more.

Do what you first thought on instincts, after that don't keep asking for advice, because you are the one who is sitting the GCSE'S!

At then end of the day, GCSE options are not the be all and end all, and from what i hear you're a very motivated person, who works hard. So, whatever you pick you will succeed in, and if not by academic terms, by other aspects, such as enjoying the course or making new friends.

You are the only person here who is dramatising the situation..just pick a subject that you think you'll be okay at and enjoy :rolleyes:
Reply 23
mikesgt2
Here's somthing you may like to think about. Sometimes it is good to do things you may find more challenging, it sounds to me that you think you would find classics fairly easy. Personally, at GCSE I found english difficult and at AS level I found german very difficult; while I was studying them I hated them, but having worked hard and got reasonable grades they are the qualifications I am most proud of. I just thought you could consider that it is not always best to do what you know you could do easily. Having said that, I would probably choose classics; you preach best what you most need to learn.

Very true, in year 10 I was predicted a C in GCSE Drama because I wasn't overly confident and was rather shy, but I really worked at it and in year 11 I'm predicted an A, if I get an A it will mean so much to me because it was such a challenge.
Reply 24
amrou
:confused: My dad realllllllllllllly wants me to do art instead of classic civilisation as he said it gives me more 'variety' plus its obvious i wont get an a*, but i can in classic civ, it sounds interesting and im good at essay based subjects, what should i do - should i listen to him

it depends what you want to do in future. Both subjects are good. Art has lots of coursework, but you get there at the end. i don't know about the other :confused:
One good thing about art, even tho it takes a bit of work during the year, by the end of year 11 you'll have one gsce out of the way that you dont have to revise for.... and if you're doin about 11 subjects, getting rid of one is a relief.
amrou
:confused: My dad realllllllllllllly wants me to do art instead of classic civilisation as he said it gives me more 'variety' plus its obvious i wont get an a*, but i can in classic civ, it sounds interesting and im good at essay based subjects, what should i do - should i listen to him

do what you want to do. i did art for my junior cert and suffered for 3 yrs to scrape a C and it had me frequently in tears.
i think ill do art, im ok, i love it, my dad got me atutor, i will work so hard, the reason i wanted to do classics is because i have an interest in romans and greeks but i can always do it at as without a gcse tha is not the case with art as it will broaden my options. Im just intimidating about not getting an a (do you think woth effort and a totor i could get an a) im also worried about what universeties will think about art, and might prefer classic civilisation
Reply 28
amrou
i think ill do art, im ok, i love it, my dad got me atutor, i will work so hard, the reason i wanted to do classics is because i have an interest in romans and greeks but i can always do it at as without a gcse tha is not the case with art as it will broaden my options. Im just intimidating about not getting an a (do you think woth effort and a totor i could get an a) im also worried about what universeties will think about art, and might prefer classic civilisation

As many people have said, it is very doubtful universities will care! Most of them want B/C in core subjects, like english/math/science, your GCSE options don't really matter when you've done your A-levels - thats what uni's look at!
The thing is im worried about art as im not that good but have good ideas and am extremely creative, its just im also quite smart and i feel ill be better at classics but ill get anart tutor if i do art, i have to decide by tommorow so i need a quick fix soloution! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! :eek:
Please help i know im annoying but please! :confused: :redface: :eek: :frown: :mad: :biggrin: :wink: :tongue: :cool: :rolleyes: :smile:
Please help me
Reply 32
Look, you've had loads of advice on this, I doubt anyone now can say anything to convince you what to do. Just go with one of them, You can always change your mind later! :smile:
Fine - ill do art as i wont be able to do it at a level without a gcse, this is not the case with classics, altough i am good at classics i really enjoy art so i will wotk hard, do well, get a tutor and kick ass! Ive also got history and drama to back me up plus as u all said a levels matter more
Reply 34
amrou
Fine - ill do art as i wont be able to do it at a level without a gcse, this is not the case with classics, altough i am good at classics i really enjoy art so i will wotk hard, do well, get a tutor and kick ass! Ive also got history and drama to back me up plus as u all said a levels matter more

Finally you have come to your senses.... :biggrin: Look just pick art, because i'm sure you'll do well with anything you pick. I have been dubious about subjects i have picked in the past, but it always worked out okay at the end!

Good luck with whatever you pick..now let UKL rest!! :wink: You worry too muchhh
Reply 35
LS.
As many people have said, it is very doubtful universities will care! Most of them want B/C in core subjects, like english/math/science, your GCSE options don't really matter when you've done your A-levels - thats what uni's look at!

I don't think this is strictly speaking true anymore.

The success rate in A levels is raising all the time, with one in five of the most recent results being A's. When Oxbridge receive hundreds of applications for say medicine the A level results of the applicants are often all A's and they turn to the impact of the interview and the GCSE results to chose.

That is my opinion.
Reply 36
samdavyson
I don't think this is strictly speaking true anymore.

The success rate in A levels is raising all the time, with one in five of the most recent results being A's. When Oxbridge receive hundreds of applications for say medicine the A level results of the applicants are often all A's and they turn to the impact of the interview and the GCSE results to chose.

That is my opinion.

Yes, but I was commenting on 'most' universities which say they require B/C (not Oxbridge, where it isn't just about grades either, it comes down to PS, extra curricula ect) and I wasn't refering to competative courses either. It was just a general statement about how most uni's won't mind if you have Art or CC :smile:
Reply 37
Yeah with those conditions, I am with you, a B/C is fine.