UK danger alert & living in Greater London

Watch
MPN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

So the issue is that since the news of the raised danger alert in UK I started receiving worried calls from my family and close relatives in EU on whether it is safe for me to stay in London (this will my second year living there) and whether I maybe should look for aless central accommodation there. The one I got is close to King's Cross station and they worry that it could be targeted for attacks. Idk what to do, I wish I could calm them down and having asked other UK student friends, most assured me that these alerts have been raised over the years already and nothing bad happened.

Is the danger very real?
godd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is how I see it...

Back in 2005, we didn't expect an attack on our LU (london underground) network. LU now is very heavily protected and under surveillance. There are practically cameras covering every square inch, armed police patrols on all major stations and british transport police on tube trains/underground stations.

It will be awfully difficult for terrorists to coordinate an attack like that again in London. MI5 is closely watching anyone who they consider a threat, monitoring all calls and text messages. I'm sure emails are being read as well. As soon as the key words pop up, they investigate and start following you. Whether this removes our liberty in society is another question.

Most of these idiotic terrorists will be arrested even before they can put their bomb belt on.

If however, they do somehow break through, I can see the tube network being the number 1 target for them again. Cramped spaces, a lot of people and practically no easy way out.
Reord
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I'm of the opinion that you can't really live your life based around the possibility that something terrible might happen. Obviously you can take some easy precautions to avoid bad things happening, e.g. not walking in the middle of a motorway, but things like where you live - it's quite an important aspect of your life and personally I would be reluctant to make a drastic change based on something which might happen.

That probably won't help you convince your family it's safe. But just take a look at the threat level history at the bottom of this page: https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-thre...at-levels.html
The government has a duty to make us aware of potential harm so it might seem a bit scary - but as you rightly pointed out in your OP, the threat level has been "severe" on many occasions before. Of course it's a personal thing and you must do what you feel comfortable doing.
MPN
Rep:
?
(Original post by godd)
This is how I see it...
If however, they do somehow break through, I can see the tube network being the number 1 target for them again. Cramped spaces, a lot of people and practically no easy way out.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is sth I've been thinking now, as I'll be using the LU at least twice (30 mins morning and 30 mins evening) every day so I can understand my family's concern. I need to rethink this.

(Original post by Reord)
Personally I'm of the opinion that you can't really live your life based around the possibility that something terrible might happen. Obviously you can take some easy precautions to avoid bad things happening, e.g. not walking in the middle of a motorway, but things like where you live - it's quite an important aspect of your life and personally I would be reluctant to make a drastic change based on something which might happen.

That probably won't help you convince your family it's safe. But just take a look at the threat level history at the bottom of this page: https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-thre...at-levels.html
The government has a duty to make us aware of potential harm so it might seem a bit scary - but as you rightly pointed out in your OP, the threat level has been "severe" on many occasions before. Of course it's a personal thing and you must do what you feel comfortable doing.
Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what most of my friends who have been living in London are saying as well but then some were also very worried. I will take this into account.
almostmaybe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MPN)
Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is sth I've been thinking now, as I'll be using the LU at least twice (30 mins morning and 30 mins evening) every day so I can understand my family's concern. I need to rethink this.

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what most of my friends who have been living in London are saying as well but then some were also very worried. I will take this into account.
The main dangers of living in London are being knocked down and killed by a car (around 50 people per year) and the long term effects of the high pollution, particular from diesel fumes. The risks from terrorism are very small.
suzannataylor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reord)

(Original post by almostmaybe)
The main dangers of living in London are being knocked down and killed by a car (around 50 people per year) and the long term effects of the high pollution, particular from diesel fumes. The risks from terrorism are very small.
Yeah, this. I think you are more likely to be killed by almost anything else (did see some stats once but I can't remember where they are I'm afraid!).
I lived in mexico city for a year and I read though some of the crime stats before I went which were absolutely terrifying but I don't think you can live your life around bad things that might happen.
MPN
Rep:
?
Right, thank you for your replies! I agree with you and I think the overseas media has exaggarated a bit about the situation in UK (they say the HIGHEST danger alert)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (191)
59.69%
No (71)
22.19%
Not sure (58)
18.13%

Watched Threads