This discussion is closed.
livvydibby
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HI!

I'm applying to do practical filmmaking at university and it has just dawned on me that I need a SERIOUSLY impressive portfolio so i stand out. Finding out what sorts of things to put in it though is kind of hard. I've looked around and haven't found anywhere that specifically says what to put in/ what is relevant.

I've done a course at the Met Film School, made a film there, I'm in the process of producing another film, i've written screenplays and scripts and i write online and have done creative and journalist writing competitions...BUT i have no idea how to put that into a portfolio?? Please help!

ALSO, my top 5 choices of unis right now are, Bournemouth University of the Arts, Bournemouth University, Norwich University of the Arts, The University of the West of England and Aberystwyth. I am mainly interested in practically film courses, not theory but if anyone knows any other universities that are good for practical film please suggest them!

(Not Ravensbourne please, i don't know why but i really dislike that university)

THANKS A LOT!
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by livvydibby)
HI!

I'm applying to do practical filmmaking at university and it has just dawned on me that I need a SERIOUSLY impressive portfolio so i stand out. Finding out what sorts of things to put in it though is kind of hard. I've looked around and haven't found anywhere that specifically says what to put in/ what is relevant.

I've done a course at the Met Film School, made a film there, I'm in the process of producing another film, i've written screenplays and scripts and i write online and have done creative and journalist writing competitions...BUT i have no idea how to put that into a portfolio?? Please help!

ALSO, my top 5 choices of unis right now are, Bournemouth University of the Arts, Bournemouth University, Norwich University of the Arts, The University of the West of England and Aberystwyth. I am mainly interested in practically film courses, not theory but if anyone knows any other universities that are good for practical film please suggest them!

(Not Ravensbourne please, i don't know why but i really dislike that university)

THANKS A LOT!
Teesside is meant to be good because it's Creative Skillset accredited. Hertfordshire is another one that a lot of people to on here have applied to so I'm guessing it's a good university.

I had to make a portfolio for a course too, I decided to put in what I thought was my best work (at the time) while keeping within the time limit I was given as well as what I thought they were looking for. Here's my portfolio if you want to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SEIxe6WFA for ideas. It's not the best but it got me in for a course which only has 1 place for every 8 that apply. Feel free to message me if you want any advice or help
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi livvydibby,

Although you've said you're not interested in Ravensbourne we do have a great practical film-making course here.

We also have open days and building tours where you could come and see the place for yourself, speak to students and lecturers if you wanted to. I know this made a big difference to me when I was applying to various institutions around the country (I'm an animation student in my 3rd year) http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/courses/open-days/

Regarding your portfolio query, you could still take a look at this link to our portfolio requirements and interview advice as this could help you no matter which institution you decide to apply to. http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/course...and-portfolio/

Good luck preparing your portfolio and applying to whichever institute you decide to go to.
livvydibby
Rep:
?
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Teesside is meant to be good because it's Creative Skillset accredited. Hertfordshire is another one that a lot of people to on here have applied to so I'm guessing it's a good university.

I had to make a portfolio for a course too, I decided to put in what I thought was my best work (at the time) while keeping within the time limit I was given as well as what I thought they were looking for. Here's my portfolio if you want to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SEIxe6WFA for ideas. It's not the best but it got me in for a course which only has 1 place for every 8 that apply. Feel free to message me if you want any advice or help
Thank you so much for giving me the link to your portfolio! I loved your editing! Did you make those films/videos professionally? The camera work/quality looked really high and I'm worried I won't be able to get that since I don't have access to a super high quality video camera...

Posted from TSR Mobile
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much for giving me the link to your portfolio! I loved your editing! Did you make those films/videos professionally? The camera work/quality looked really high and I'm worried I won't be able to get that since I don't have access to a super high quality video camera...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, editing isn't my strong point so it means a lot that you like it. No I made them in college. It was all filmed in 1080p which is why the quality is so good, I think we used Sony Handycam cameras too so it's not like they're super expensive. We use professional editing software though. What definition does your camera film in? As long as you edit and export in the same definition it's shot in it shouldn't look too bad.
livvydibby
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, editing isn't my strong point so it means a lot that you like it. No I made them in college. It was all filmed in 1080p which is why the quality is so good, I think we used Sony Handycam cameras too so it's not like they're super expensive. We use professional editing software though. What definition does your camera film in? As long as you edit and export in the same definition it's shot in it shouldn't look too bad.
Oh so you did film at college??

I have a high quality camera but it's not like a film camera or anything since I got it for photography rather than movie making. I've made one short film of about 15 minutes of very high film quality (the quality of the film itself is debatable) but it's only so well done because I did it at The Met Film School using their equipment and obviously I don't have that at home!

I have to make a short film for my Media A2 coursework and it's irritating since now I know what a high quality video camera can produce I don't want to use a ****ty camera with no proper editing software like Final Cut Pro or Premier Pro!

Posted from TSR Mobile
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh so you did film at college??

I have a high quality camera but it's not like a film camera or anything since I got it for photography rather than movie making. I've made one short film of about 15 minutes of very high film quality (the quality of the film itself is debatable) but it's only so well done because I did it at The Met Film School using their equipment and obviously I don't have that at home!

I have to make a short film for my Media A2 coursework and it's irritating since now I know what a high quality video camera can produce I don't want to use a ****ty camera with no proper editing software like Final Cut Pro or Premier Pro!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep 2 years.

Ahh okay, well you could still use that, can you not borrow cameras from school? You could use that piece you made with the film school. My portfolio asked for at least one piece of work related to the subject I wanted to study.

You could also use that for your portfolio. You can download a trial of Premiere Pro to edit with same with Sony Vegas too. Does your school have the editing software available for you to use. If not I would download a trial and edit with that. Have you used either software before? I prefer to edit with Sony Vegas (which I used for my ident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a4AwdOe9Y my tutor didn't even think I had made it... although I felt like he hated me haha) but all my other work has been edited with Premiere so I think it all goes down to personal preference. If I were you I would practice editing with them to see which on you find the easiest and use that. You could also explain why the low quality in your written piece (that's if you had to do one which for my course I had to)

If you have any questions feel free to ask
livvydibby
Rep:
?
Yep 2 years.

Ahh okay, well you could still use that, can you not borrow cameras from school? You could use that piece you made with the film school. My portfolio asked for at least one piece of work related to the subject I wanted to study.

You could also use that for your portfolio. You can download a trial of Premiere Pro to edit with same with Sony Vegas too. Does your school have the editing software available for you to use. If not I would download a trial and edit with that. Have you used either software before? I prefer to edit with Sony Vegas (which I used for my ident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a4AwdOe9Y my tutor didn't even think I had made it... although I felt like he hated me haha) but all my other work has been edited with Premiere so I think it all goes down to personal preference. If I were you I would practice editing with them to see which on you find the easiest and use that. You could also explain why the low quality in your written piece (that's if you had to do one which for my course I had to)

If you have any questions feel free to ask
I've edited about 5 or 6 scenes from films/filming exercises in premier pro and I think I could probably do that again on my own although when I edited them before I was at The Met so had their editing staff overseeing everything...

Oh god, no the cameras at my school are like the cheap £30 ones, really how quality since film isn't a subject at my school and in media they encourage us to make magazines or websites.

I never thought about downloading a trial! Great idea thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've edited about 5 or 6 scenes from films/filming exercises in premier pro and I think I could probably do that again on my own although when I edited them before I was at The Met so had their editing staff overseeing everything...

Oh god, no the cameras at my school are like the cheap £30 ones, really how quality since film isn't a subject at my school and in media they encourage us to make magazines or websites.

I never thought about downloading a trial! Great idea thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah Premiere Pro isn't that difficult to use if you've used it before (After Effects is a different story though!)

Ahh okay that's a bit ****.

You're welcome.
orphan_black
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
York do a practical film program no?
KarenzaJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay first off I'm in the exact same boat! I have no idea what to include in my portfolio, and my college really isn't helping either!
I agree with Ravensbourne uni! The course looks sooooooo good, and if i didn't live so close to london i would have differently added that to my top list, however i want to get the "away from home experience" and living in London is so expensive!

Also Llivvydibby you took A-levels? If you wanted to do more practical maybe look into a BTEC course before going to uni? Ive started my second year, and I've learned to much! Im so glad i choose that over a-levels!
livvydibby
Rep:
?
(Original post by KarenzaJ)
Okay first off I'm in the exact same boat! I have no idea what to include in my portfolio, and my college really isn't helping either!
I agree with Ravensbourne uni! The course looks sooooooo good, and if i didn't live so close to london i would have differently added that to my top list, however i want to get the "away from home experience" and living in London is so expensive!

Also Llivvydibby you took A-levels? If you wanted to do more practical maybe look into a BTEC course before going to uni? Ive started my second year, and I've learned to much! Im so glad i choose that over a-levels!
I really wish I went to college to do filmmaking but I only really settled on filmmaking halfway through my first year of AS and I didn't see the point of dropping out halfway through. Buuut I've been trying to get as much experience as possible like a film course at The Met so now I know how to operate a camera/edit and all of that stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Year11girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi kayleighisonfire,

Great hob on your portfolio! It is very creative! Little question: I have just completed my GCSEs and I am really interested in movie making and directing. I did Media Studies and have my school projects portfolio which consists of movie poster, music video and storyboards. Following your prior experience I wonder if you have any advice for what should my next step be or whether It is too early for anything now. Within that I mean whether you know if it's early to take a course or should I wait for the end of highschool?
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Year11girl)
Hi kayleighisonfire,

Great hob on your portfolio! It is very creative! Little question: I have just completed my GCSEs and I am really interested in movie making and directing. I did Media Studies and have my school projects portfolio which consists of movie poster, music video and storyboards. Following your prior experience I wonder if you have any advice for what should my next step be or whether It is too early for anything now. Within that I mean whether you know if it's early to take a course or should I wait for the end of highschool?
Hello, thank you very much!

Never too early to start looking, have you decided on your A Levels or if you are going to do a course at college? Obviously I am not sure on what subjects are available to you but if you want to study filmmaking at university it is best to have a media related subject at level 3 ( A Levels or BTEC etc). I remember when I was looking many required a certain grade or UCAS points that had to be from a Media related or English subject. I used to film and edit in my spare time which is great practice. You could also ask a local production if you can shadow one of their employees so you get a feel of the industry?
Year11girl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for replying,

I have two options for next year. I can do IB which has some media related content subjects and I can do A-levels in which my school doesn't offer any media related stuff😕only English. However thank you for guiding me😃😃One more thing...There is a subject called Theatre in IB and it is not really media but it teaches a lot on directorial concepts in theatre and how to make your own drama piece effective. So you think they will accept the grade for this subject?

Thanks again for your time!
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Year11girl)
Thank you for replying,

I have two options for next year. I can do IB which has some media related content subjects and I can do A-levels in which my school doesn't offer any media related stuff😕only English. However thank you for guiding me😃😃One more thing...There is a subject called Theatre in IB and it is not really media but it teaches a lot on directorial concepts in theatre and how to make your own drama piece effective. So you think they will accept the grade for this subject?

Thanks again for your time!
Honestly, I could not say. You would need to look on prospective university websites and if nothing is stated you could email them to see if they would accept it but at the same time you are so far away from university that your options might change. I changed my mind so much in the space of 2 weeks when applying for my masters last year. I would still have a look at the prospectus' and go from there! Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask
Year11girl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thanks. So I will search for some universities just in case to be ready
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.94%
Isolating with family (131)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (85)
4.59%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.32%
Loneliness (184)
9.94%
Financial worries (76)
4.11%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.75%

Watched Threads