The Student Room Group

Is 2 a levels (distant learning) enough for university?

I am doing two a levels by distant learning and expected two A grades. Would universities accept me even though the usual entry requirements is three a levels?
Check each course on UCAS and ring up administrators if you're not sure. If it's done by ucas points you might be ok but it's probably better to do three A-levels just to be safe. What are you thinking of applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Assuming you achieve high grades in the two you are doing) SOME universities will accept you for SOME courses.

However, your options are greatly limited by your choice to do 2 instead of 3.

If possible, I would recommend you try and do a third A Level OR some form of BTEC alongside to boost your UCAS points.

Best thing to do though is to find the course you want to do and check what the entry requirements are. If 2 A's are all you need, then you don't need to worry about anything :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Comeback
(Assuming you achieve high grades in the two you are doing) SOME universities will accept you for SOME courses.

However, your options are greatly limited by your choice to do 2 instead of 3.

If possible, I would recommend you try and do a third A Level OR some form of BTEC alongside to boost your UCAS points.

Best thing to do though is to find the course you want to do and check what the entry requirements are. If 2 A's are all you need, then you don't need to worry about anything :smile:

thanks for the response :smile: i do have a 90 credit diploma in art and design (equivalent of 1.5 a levels) with a D*D which is i think 200 UCAS points.. is that good enough to count as a third alevel?
i was thinking of doing a international business degree..
Original post by mikamika
thanks for the response :smile: i do have a 90 credit diploma in art and design (equivalent of 1.5 a levels) with a D*D which is i think 200 UCAS points.. is that good enough to count as a third alevel?

Some universities will be perfectly happy with your diploma in place of a third A level - I suggest you ask the universities you are interested in about their policies regarding BTECs and similar qualifications.

Wow double check on the ucas website if your diploma will give you those points.

200 points is equivalent to 2 a levels of grade 'B' which would mean you would have a lot more options. However, to complicate things further, many courses say things like "300 points over 3 A Levels" or "3 A Level passes required" so you'd have to check on an individual case by case basis.
I'd suggest that it is pointless to do only two A-Levels, your choices will be very limited. However, there is a solution which is perhaps studying a light-weight A-Level such as general studies?

A fair few Universities accept it, it seems probably the kind that you will be applying to do, and it's not difficult, so it wouldn't add much to your workload.
Reply 7
Original post by Comeback
Wow double check on the ucas website if your diploma will give you those points.

200 points is equivalent to 2 a levels of grade 'B' which would mean you would have a lot more options. However, to complicate things further, many courses say things like "300 points over 3 A Levels" or "3 A Level passes required" so you'd have to check on an individual case by case basis.

yep i doubled checked now and it is 200 tariff points. so do you recommend i do another a level? I'm currently doing history and philosophy.. are there any a levels you recommend which are do-able by distant learning except maths and sciences (not really an academic person...)
Reply 8
yep i doubled checked now and it is 200 tariff points. so do you recommend i do another a level? I'm currently doing history and philosophy.. are there any a levels you recommend which are do-able by distant learning except maths and sciences (not really an academic person...)

Maybe try English?

English Language, English Literature or English Lang & Lit (combined) would be great options. I did English Lit for AS and got an A, now predicted A*.

Creative Writing, Critical Thinking and General Studies are all A Levels not really respected by universities (at least not the top ones). However, they are ideal for distance learning and some universities just want 3 A Level passes (not really caring what the subject mix is apart from asking for one specific one). So they may be an option.

Hmm what else...the following you could do IF you are good at essays and have a good memory:

Government and Politics
Sociology
Psychology

If you're not sciencey then be wary of Geography and Psychology as they border science topics (especially Geography).

Theres also ICT (not really sure if thats your type of thing?).

:smile:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'd suggest that it is pointless to do only two A-Levels, your choices will be very limited. However, there is a solution which is perhaps studying a light-weight A-Level such as general studies?

A fair few Universities accept it, it seems probably the kind that you will be applying to do, and it's not difficult, so it wouldn't add much to your workload.

Yes I'm starting to think General Studies would suit the OP a lot. As long as you practise essays and are good at debating it may be a perfect option as you literally do not need to sit down and learn masses of material.

Quick Reply

Latest