Chemistry with Materials Chemistry course in Edinburgh Watch

TheGrimCrim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello ,everyone, I was wondering, what is this course all about, how is it different from the regular chemistry course? The description on the Edinburgh site was not very helpful, because it was copied from other chemistry courses.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGrimCrim)
Hello ,everyone, I was wondering, what is this course all about, how is it different from the regular chemistry course? The description on the Edinburgh site was not very helpful, because it was copied from other chemistry courses.
No experience with the course - but i'd wager having a read of what a straight Materials Science course is like will give you an idea of the type of things. Typically they tend to be taught in the school of engineering, so it involves a bit more maths/physics, but the exact modules will depend on what Edinburgh deem appropriate. You could try e-mail the department for a better breakdown.
TheGrimCrim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Nymthae)
No experience with the course - but i'd wager having a read of what a straight Materials Science course is like will give you an idea of the type of things. Typically they tend to be taught in the school of engineering, so it involves a bit more maths/physics, but the exact modules will depend on what Edinburgh deem appropriate. You could try e-mail the department for a better breakdown.
It`s in the school of chemistry. I have e-mailed them, no response for like a week :/
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGrimCrim)
It`s in the school of chemistry. I have e-mailed them, no response for like a week :/
Materiels chemistry is not all that different from a straight chemistry course. Further materials chemistry differs fairly substantially from materials science in that (as the name suggest) it's focus is primarily on the chemistry of materials.

At my university (St Andrews) Materials chemists will do most of the same modules as regular chemists the primary difference being that they do less work on the synthesis of compounds. So modules on organic synthesis or homogeneous catalysis are likely to be omitted. Most of the work you do will be on the structure, synthesis, and analysis of solids.

So for example at St andrews in our third year the materials chemists did two modules that we didn't do (and vice versa). Straight chemists did modules on Organometallic chemistry, and Organic Synthesis while Materials chemists did modules on advanced solid state chemistry, and on the analysis of materials.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.16%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.97%
No (87)
48.88%

Watched Threads