The Student Room Group

GCSE Latin 2015

Hiii! Just thought i'd make a thread for everyone studying for GCSE Latin in 2015. I am currently trying (and failing) to learn my prose set text over the summer (I'm doing Cicero: Verres and Cleomenes and Livy: Scaevola). Is there anyone studying these texts??? I'm fine with the language parts like analysing literary devices etc...but (especially with Cicero) I don't have a clue whats going on...which isn't great. Does anyone understand the story???

Also...to people who have already done GCSE I wanted to know how hard the literature exams are in relation to the Language ones (I find the language ones relativley easy). I've heard they are quite difficult with timings etc....:frown:

Thanks!
Language papers are easy (ESPECIALLY FOUNDATION!!! but Higher is fine too) as long as you learn and understand the vocabulary, tenses and grammar. I suggest that you start revising Prose as early on as possible - just memorise the whole damn thing, in English, in order too (because they give you a passage and expect you to answer questions about what happened/happens before and after the selected passage). You will be under so much pressure during the Prose exam that it is no point trying to learn the Latin words and then translating the Prose during the exam - this can be quite stressful.
Other than that, you should be fine, even if it is sometimes tough. Good luck and remember:
PER ASPERA AD ASTRA
through difficulty to (A) stars!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Revised each set text the morning before each exam and got 90% in Virgil and 95% in Pliny (prose). I hated Latin. Focus on your language grades and get them as high as possible. Literature can be revised later on. Memorise the whole thing in English and make up your literature notes on the spot. That's what I did, and I'm useless at Latin.

Quick Reply

Latest