This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
VA97 - Government Statements Amendment
Proposed by: RayApparently MP
Seconded by: O133 MP, James222 MP, That Bearded Man MP, Ruitker MP, Adam9317 MP, Nebelbon, Cryptographic MP

Government Statements Amendment

An amendment to more clearly define the role of the TSR Government by the introduction of 'Government Statements' (formally known as 'Statements of Intent').

Preamble

The role of a Government in the TSR MHoC (and as a result the Opposition) has been obscure for some time. This simple addition should add another element to the MHoC whilst giving the Opposition further opportunities for scrutinising the Government.
This Amendment allows Government as a whole, the Prime Minister or a Cabinet member to release a 'Statement of Intent'. These statements, would exist specifically for Government to detail its actions as they would be in the 'simulated' world. Many actions of the RL Government do not require legislative action in the Commons. However they are often debate worthy. For example, the calling of the General Election, Cabinet Reshuffles, the introduction of new GCSEs, the appointment of Ministers etc. The Opposition often call on Government to take certain action using motions. Though these motions are voted on they aren't binding on Government and Government will never be held accountable for its decision. This will give Government an opportunity for a formal response and create a culture where Government is responsive to the demands of Parliament.

Note that no part of the Constitution or Guidance Document will be changed by this Amendment. Instead, a new section is being proposed.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

We propose the addition of the following to the Guidance Document:

Statements of Intent (SOIs)

1) SOIs are used to debate an action taken by Government as a whole or by a Department as opposed to motions which seek to debate a statement or bills which seek to change the law.

2) Members of Cabinet will send the statement to the Speaker.

3) The Speaker will acknowledge they have received the SOI and post the motion title and the date the motion will go up for discussion in the Hansard.

4) The Speaker will then post the SOI in the House of Common forum on the day a SOI is to go up for discussion (as stated in the Hansard).

5) The Speaker will then PM all MPs to inform them that a new SOI is up for discussion.

6) After 6 days the discussion period is declared over.

7) The Leader of the Opposition, Prime Minister or relevant Secretary of State then has 4 days to call a vote to ratify the action if so appropriate.

8) A Government may retract a previous SOI by releasing an SOI that so states.

9) The doctrine of Collective Cabinet Responsibility would suggests that a Cabinet member would respect an SOI released by their own Government. Discipline within Cabinet falls under the remit of the Prime Minister.

10) There is no formal structure to SOI except that it must be so labelled. It may be written in bullet points for clarity.

11) In this way Government can be later held to account for the implementations of its ideologies beyond the legislative work of Parliament.

Cryptographic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shouldn't this be secret?

(Original post by Faland)
QFA
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure we need an amendment for this so i abstained.
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AYE

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can imagine a fairly low turnout on this, considering the looming shadow of both the Monarchy Bill and the General Election.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I can imagine a fairly low turnout on this, considering the looming shadow of both the Monarchy Bill and the General Election.
That should in theory boost activity and thus turnout.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
That should in theory boost activity and thus turnout.
I hadn't thought of it that way.
Faland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 23
The Noes to the left: 3
Abstentions: 9

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads