TheClassicsGeek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiii! Okay so basically I started learning Ancient Greek on a lunchtime last september with the intention of sitting the 2015 GCSE. But...last year we heardly did anything with regards to grammar/vocab and we didn't even start the set texts. My teacher suggested we leave it another year, and I sit the GCSE with my AS levels (I'm in Year 11 now) but that would mean I wouldn't be able to to the A Level which is important as I want to do Classics at uni.

Long story short ,I persuaded my teacher to let me do it this year. I will have 1h of Greek a week and in that time I need to learn all the grammer and set texts (which I know from Latin take aaaages!) Over the summer I have sort of learned the Vocab list but I'm still not that confident. I want to know if anyone thinks this is possible or whether I should not do the A Level.

I LOVE Greek and I think I am fairly good at it, and I have dropped a few subjects in order to give it more focus this year...but am I being unrealistic?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Brekekex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unrealistic? Maybe. But is it impossible? Absolutely not. Especially if you have experience with Latin, reading the textbook and doing as many exercises as possible can get you a long way at GCSE, learning the vocab list is fairly straightforward (though it's without principle parts iirc, but you can use the Eton list (http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles...ord%20List.pdf) to get around that) and if Greek GCSE set texts are anything like the Latin ones, everyone just memorises their translation for the exam anyway so you don't need a particularly deep understanding of the texts. You have a whole year - it's definitely possible to succeed, and even if you don't, I'm sure universities will admire your dedication.

Also note that you don't have to do a GCSE in Greek to do the AS (my school only offered the AS, so I'll admit I didn't do the GCSE nor do I know anyone who did). I'd also recommend looking into the JACT Greek Summer School (which is pretty expensive but very good) if you'd like to be more confident in your Greek.

No university requires Greek A-level if you have Latin though (even Oxbridge), so if you feel you can't cope with doing a GCSE on 1hr a week for a year, you could always decide to do the exam a year later and it won't disadvantage you in any way.

I went from complete beginner to slightly under AS standard on 2hrs a week in a year, so I don't think it's impossible at all, especially if you work hard. Good luck!
AlwaysSummer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You might find these workbooks useful:

http://www.classicalworkbooks.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise