Questions about Bulking... (srs) Watch

Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Few questions about bulking--

Why bulk?

What's the best way to bulk for a vegetarian?

How long do I bulk for?

When do I start cutting?

Anything else I need to know about?

Cheers
SEHughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're dead skinny, eat as much protein and calories as you can, any way you can. Do this until you're about 20% body fat, then clean it up a bit and come back down to around 15%. Don't worry about getting below 15% until you're actually strong.
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're natty then don't bulk/cut. Just eat a tad above maintenance and get bigger slowly.
Darkwarrior23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You bulk to gain body mass (fat+muscle) then cut to reduce the fat. Obviously you lose some muscle mass while cutting as well, but you have more muscle then when you started bulking. You don't really need to bulk but its a good way of getting muscle mass in a short period of time.

Soya,tofu,quorn,nuts

I bulk for 4 months and cut for 4 months, however, everyone is different test different cycles to see what works for you.
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)

Why bulk? Gainz

What's the best way to bulk for a vegetarian? Eating chicken all day every day

How long do I bulk for? Until you get too fat no clothes fit you

When do I start cutting? Never

Anything else I need to know about? Bulking isn't a lifestyle, it's a way of life

Cheers
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SEHughes)
If you're dead skinny, eat as much protein and calories as you can, any way you can. Do this until you're about 20% body fat, then clean it up a bit and come back down to around 15%. Don't worry about getting below 15% until you're actually strong.
(Original post by illusionz)
If you're natty then don't bulk/cut. Just eat a tad above maintenance and get bigger slowly.
(Original post by Darkwarrior23)
You bulk to gain body mass (fat+muscle) then cut to reduce the fat. Obviously you lose some muscle mass while cutting as well, but you have more muscle then when you started bulking. You don't really need to bulk but its a good way of getting muscle mass in a short period of time.

Soya,tofu,quorn,nuts

I bulk for 4 months and cut for 4 months, however, everyone is different test different cycles to see what works for you.

Thanks guys
drewBusby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)

Cheers

Why bulk? To gain mass you need to be in a caloric surplus, this process is called bulking.

What's the best way to bulk for a vegetarian? Know your caloric/nutritional content of your food. Understand that you have fewer options in terms of caloric dense food. There are caloric dense foods for like nuts etc so not all hope is vegetarians lost.

How long do I bulk for? This is pretty subjective, but most people I know tend to bulk until their body fat percentage becomes undesirable. I think the mainstream lifter bulks during winter and then cuts down close to summer.

When do I start cutting? Again it depends on your goals.

Anything else I need to know about?
Hypertrophy training/ bio-mechanics of lifting

Nutrition [calories/macro nutrients]

Helpful supplements

Useless supplements

Injury prevention via stretching and foam rolling and also the avoidances of the creation of muscle imbalances.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're vegetarian and need to increase protein intake, just eat **** loads of beans and dairy. I eat a ton of eggs and beans and milk and whey powder shakes.
Omega3!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do NOT get into the mindset that bulking = devouring every single thing that resembles food at the nearest opportunity. Bulking is simply a gymbrah word for "eating a caloric surplus" which is essentially eating more calories than your body uses. This is done as the extra energy (calories) is used to drive the muscle building process.

Problem is that muscle can only be built at a certain (****ing slow) rate and so the surplus you need is often quite small, you might THINK that because you're gaining lots of weight, lifting at the gym and devouring everything in sight that you're packing on the muscle, but you're not. Instead you're quickly transforming yourself unnecessarily into Vanessa Feltz's long lost twin.

Even if you're skinnier than a skeleton, you should use a calculator such as this one: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to calculate your TDEE (amount of calories your body needs a day to maintain its current weight / composition) and optimum macro nutrient requirements (amount of carbohydrates / protein / fats) you should eat in a day.

Start on a small surplus (5-10%) for a few weeks and if you aren't gaining weight / strength, up it by another 5-10% for a few weeks. Once you start gaining weight and strength, it's working, there is no need to up it any more - you're just going to get fat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.78%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.59%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.95%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.59%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.08%

Watched Threads