Questions on university applications (Adjustment likely, or a gap year)?

Watch
Wisefire
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wisefire)
Bump.
Please stop bumping this thread after only a few minutes. I have reported it for a thread move to Applications and Ucas, where you will get more responses.

In the meantime, your post is very long and confusing. What is your basic question? Are you asking how adjustment works? If so, it works by allowing you to keep your existing offer while shopping round for something better IF, and only if, you have exceeded your firm offer. You have 5 days in which to do this, then the window closes.
vsps7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1) Once you get rejected that's it, there's no two ways about it. They will only reconsider your application for next years entry.

2) Adjustment tends to not really be an option for students applying for the creme de la creme of universities, so your best bet is to apply to universties during your gap year.

3) A gap year can work for you, but you need to find out what A2 grades you get beforehand. Also, try to find work experience for the summer holidays after your exams as this can be added to your uni application during your gap year.

4) it doesnt matter when you did the work experience as long as you've done it so if you feel it adds strength to your application by all means include it.

If i were in your shoes, I'd apply to maybe 2 or 3 dream universities e.g. UCL warwick or whatever you fancy because you never can know what happens ( really it depensd on your predicted grades which can make quite a difference as it may show to selectors maybe you just had an off year or something, and your school believes you can improve)

For the rest of your choices go with something safe in case you dont end up with great A2 grades and a gap year wouldnt be viable.

Remember there is UCAS extra if you get rejected from all 5 of your choices, so even if you do get outright rejected this year you can still apply to universities (AND STILL HAVE A CHANCE OF MAKING IT IN FOR THIS YEAR) of maybe a lower caliber but hey all these universities in my eyes are decent, or at least most.

Also remember that you can always accept a university offer, even if it's not one you really want to go to, to have that backup plan, so if you do extremely well in your results you can tell them you'll take a gap year instead. If you don't do so well, and you still meet the conditions, then that's great too! You have a place to go.

Sorry for the long post and I am almost certain that it will be a very confusing read, apologies in advance for that. My train of thought comes along in an odd manner and has an adverse effect on my essay writing. Good luck and let me know if any of the stuff i wrote was unclear or if you want to ask other questions.
vsps7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, thanks, I understand your answer lol. I write stuff in a far more confusing manner tbh. Okay, so really a gap year is the must consequence of having done badly this year? Cool. Well, I'm just going after the A*AA or better (I'm really hoping for A*A*A) when I do my exams in 8 months, then I'll just take a gap year. Hopefully I'll be accepted by a great, top 6 university for a course once I get the grades. I fear I may improve myself to such an extent and get crazy grades (A*A*A), and STILL be rejected by Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick. I can understand why so if it's Oxbridge, Imperial and even LSE, but SURELY UCL and Warwick wouldn't reject me in my gap year/reapplication with those grades? That'd be suicidal, frankly Really though... Can that actually still happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anything can happen, I'm afraid...
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's not very believable that you'll get A*AA from your current AS grades, so it would be better if you took a gap year. I understand that you might not want to, but you have to understand that most people do the same in AS as A2. Even ignoring your E, you're wanting a huge increase in grades.

Grades aren't the whole of your application, though. You'll also need a good reference and personal statement. Without these you might still get rejections if even you apply already knowing your grades. All the unis you've listed are very competitive and have hundreds of good applicants to choose from.
RAV 123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are your predictions? My cousin got into UCL for Economics with a year abroad and he was like 2 grades off the real thing on AS results day. Like he had ABB but predictions of a*a*a and got in.
RAV 123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know what they are yet; I'll have to try and impress to my teachers what I'm doing right now and what I will do. I'm guessing, seeming though I'm at ABD atm, I'll be predicted A*AC or A*BB at best? Idk... More likely ABC unfortunately, but I have no idea. It's simply preferable if I don't take a gap year, as I am going for A*AA or better this year. More than likely I just will take a gap year and reapply though. Just get A*AA+, then life will be fine... Heck, I'm pushing for A*A*A, in the hope/ambition that I'd be in contention for Land Economy at Cambridge... If I somehow get A*A*A+, or if I fit in the time to self-teach FM and do good in it, I'll go for that.

More than likely I'll just get A*AA and go for a course at Warwick/UCL (they're top 6 so I'd be content).
Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck with that, I'm probably going to apply to LSE/Warwick as my top 2 this year, don't think I am good enough for Cambridge lol.
RAV 123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RAV 123)
Good luck with that, I'm probably going to apply to LSE/Warwick as my top 2 this year, don't think I am good enough for Cambridge lol.
+ I am trying to go for a job in Investment Banking, so Land Economy wouldn't be that good. Still, any degree from Cambridge is good, so good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads