Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey every1

Just thought i'd let you all know about UK WORKSHOPS - these are a combination of courses that are available for anything from nurses, medics, forensics, chemistry, law and a whole bunch of other stuff. More importantly they have some GREAT courses for vets - I realise alot of you will already know about them and indeed have been on them, they include VetSix which is a mostly lecture based course over a weeekend in december usually in lower6th (Y12). It's a great introduction to the vet world on a theory side and a fab opportunity to meet other vet hopefuls and then there's VetSim which takes place in summer after your AS exams and is taught as a practical follow up of VetSix where there are near to no lectures and completely practical based learning with hands on experience with horses, snakes, lizards, dosmetic animals and even lamas! All which take place in at Nottingham Uni. I've been on both of these courses and they are a great eye opener - they'll either confirm your love for the profession or let you know that maybe it isnt the best way for you. Either way it's a great laugh!! They also have a website and a busy notice board where they keep you up to date on courses, general chat with other vets *only* and offers help with interviews including experiences, questions and results from people who have already been interviewed, work experience questions. I think with such a hard degree, you'll need all the help you can fathom!! And with everything you can possibly get behind you, you'll be giving yourself the best chance. I've left a link at the bottom of this post if any of you want to check it out: once the link has opened click on "notice board" - has all the info you'll ever need about the courses and opportunities they can offer,

If any of ya have any questions or anythin jus drop me a post

http://www.workshop-uk.com/vet%20sit...vethomeSET.htm

ReputationRep:
    Are you off to vet school this year then? I didnt go to any of those courses and managed to get offers, so they arent a must and people have told me that really for the money they arent that great.

ReputationRep:
    Yup - i'm off to vet school this year (assuming i get the grades). But yeah they aint a must i agree with that - but it was just so much fun!! If you just enjoy the company of other people and want to have a laugh there are plenty of people there willing to have one with you. And along with that you learn a bunch of stuff that maybe you wouldnt have known - and i'd prob say it was worth the money, but if maybe it was between spending it on vetsim of a week magaluf - i'd go to spain!! But if ya can - do both.

Great to hear bout you gettin offers... where you off then?? where did you apply??

ReputationRep:
    Ive PMd you. Im off to Liverpool with Edinburgh as my insurance...u? I also had offers from RVC and Bris.

ReputationRep:
    I've got RVC as my firm and Liverpool as my insurance - got rejection after interveiw from Bristol and was put on a waiting list for Ed, but I had other offers so i didnt so much mind - as long as i got in somewhere, i dont really mind where

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_name)
    I've got RVC as my firm and Liverpool as my insurance - got rejection after interveiw from Bristol and was put on a waiting list for Ed, but I had other offers so i didnt so much mind - as long as i got in somewhere, i dont really mind where
    Just out of interest - is you offer for liverpool for this year?

ReputationRep:
    Nope - for 2005 entry, which really made me want to take a year out - as previously i'd never really thought about taking deferred entry but I decided RVC mainly because of the city. They're actually both the same offer of AAB - i'm relying on a fact that if I get a B in the wrong subject (in both requested B in physics) one of the two may take me with the B in another subject

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go on any of those courses either. Mainly because I thought the cost was so big. I felt I would gain more from visiting each uni on the open days instead. I also went to a talk held by the RCVS and they said how these courses are not necessary at all, work experience and grades are far more important. I managed to get three offers so it's definately not essential!! but I can see how it would be fun meeting loads of ppl but I met loads at the open days too, one of which is going to the same vet school as me (Glasgow) and has become one of my best friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    I didn't go on any of those courses either. Mainly because I thought the cost was so big. I felt I would gain more from visiting each uni on the open days instead. I also went to a talk held by the RCVS and they said how these courses are not necessary at all, work experience and grades are far more important. I managed to get three offers so it's definately not essential!! but I can see how it would be fun meeting loads of ppl but I met loads at the open days too, one of which is going to the same vet school as me (Glasgow) and has become one of my best friends
    Yeah I went on all open days apart from Glasgow (cos that was the one uni i knew i wouldnt be applying for) and it was really helpful as far as seeing the university and the students n lecturers are concerned - i'm not going to compare seeing the uni's and goin on these courses, it's a completely different concept. The courses are ran by 6/7 vet students from all over the country and they do all the pracs and offer a Q/A session as well as being available all the time if u jus wana talk to um. N i would deffinately never think of going on these courses in replacement for work exprience/grades - not in a million years, so sorry if i gave that impression in my first post :confused: they also offer a service where they get the actual people who look at your personal statement at the uni's to look through your ps before you apply and send you back a tape of what they thought about it and where you could make it better. I didnt do this - n it didnt hinder my personal statement at all, i got 4 interveiws out of it.
    I'm not saying it's essential. N if the money just seems too much, then it's not gona get in your way of gettin into vet school as long as u have the work experience, grades and personality they're lukin for - but if ur between choices of going and not going in lower sixth - it oughta make ur mind up. N also something i was thinking about - not many people have stayed in a university n slept there, n that was a real eye opener aswell.
    N if ya get bored there's always a fun game to play... *spot the northerner* (i'm from manchester btw), because there are so few!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity how come you didn't want to apply to Glasgow?

I can see the benefit of these courses if you are not sure if vet med is for you but I always felt that surely by spending time at a vets surgery or covered in s*** and mud on a farm around cattle gives you a much better idea of what being a vet is like. I remember one day I was at the vets and 90% of the clients that day came in for vaccinations. There was nothing 'wow' about it and it made me realise just how routine the job is. I'm not having a go at ya I'm glad you had a great time on those courses and I'm sure you got a lot out of it I was just saying how there are other ways, (cheaper ways ) of seeing if the career is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    i went to one of these things in year 10, which was quite general, but it made me realise early on what was needed. havnet been to anyothers though and have offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    Just out of curiosity how come you didn't want to apply to Glasgow?
    Well i'd heard very strong rumours that the scottish unis - espec glasgow had massive perferences for scottish people, and i sorta wanted to make the likelyhood of getting an offer as large as possible - i was between glasgow, cambridge n liverpool on which i was most likely to get into. N eventually decided Liverpool (which i got an offer from), other than that there were no real reasons to be honest, ive always thought for vet med very little separates the uni's which means it usually comes down to little petty things. Like if you talked to one person at the uni that seemed a little ignorant of you - it immediatly puts you off. Obv English people get into the scottish unis i mean how sus wud it be if they didnt, but i'm sure they take the pick of the crop out of english ppl and i was worried i wasnt one of them - was very attracted to scottish uni's cos i'm a hugely enthusiastic snowboarder n would have been great to be so close to ski resorts and the only uni's to have specific ski clubs saying that though, i made my decision fairly early on not to apply to glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I too was a little apprehensive about applying to the Scottish unis, esp. as I come from Essex. But when I went to see Glasgow on the open day, I totally fell in love with the place! And I kinda went with the decision that I'll never know unless I try! The vet who I did loads of wk exp with went there too and so kinda influenced my decision!! lol
    Anyways just wanted to wish you good luck with your exams, hope you get the grades you need and hope you have a great time at RVC

ReputationRep:
    Yeah right back at ya! We'll probs see each other around at vet balls n that which happen every year at one of the unis.
    Great luck with your exams n have a great summer *cant' wait* :cool:

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I went on Vetsix it was great! I think vetsim looks moer exciting, As for it helping get me a place I didn't mention it as i'd given in my PS before going! Now off to Bristol, as long as I get my AAA! :confused:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivineComedy)
    I went on Vetsix it was great! I think vetsim looks moer exciting, As for it helping get me a place I didn't mention it as i'd given in my PS before going! Now off to Bristol, as long as I get my AAA! :confused:

xxx
    GOOD LUCK!! next few weeks of exams are gona be killin but all will be over in like 6 weeks, n then we can enjoy summer - thank god! Well done for makin it into Bristol - impressive.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - good luck everyone with their exams - I had my first one yesterday and have three more to go!
    Ive read that next year Bristol and RVC will be introducing an aptitude test for entry to Vet Med so its a good job that we have places this year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Yes - good luck everyone with their exams - I had my first one yesterday and have three more to go!
    Ive read that next year Bristol and RVC will be introducing an aptitude test for entry to Vet Med so its a good job that we have places this year!!
    I know I heard about that too!! it's helping me to motivate myself for these exams, I would hate to have to go through the application process all over again!

DivineComedy - Good luck in your exams and congrats on the offer from Bristol!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I COULD cope with going through it all again - not because of the pressure but because of the UCAS addiction i had of *needing* to check the website about a billion times a day like every ten minutes even though they only ever seemed to update um at round 7-7.30 at night. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah the BMAT test that RVC and Bristol are doing - you sit the same exam for all of them including Cambridge so you only have to do one paper. They worked together to produce a test that they were all happy with :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_name)
    I'm not sure I COULD cope with going through it all again - not because of the pressure but because of the UCAS addiction i had of *needing* to check the website about a billion times a day like every ten minutes even though they only ever seemed to update um at round 7-7.30 at night. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah the BMAT test that RVC and Bristol are doing - you sit the same exam for all of them including Cambridge so you only have to do one paper. They worked together to produce a test that they were all happy with :confused:
    I bearly checked the UCAS website at all!! My mum used to check for me!! Sounds silly but I couldn't bring myself too - she became addicted though!!! lol She told me about my offers except for Glasgow which I 'discovered'! I was online late on a friday night - about midnight - and I thought I'd check the website for a change! Then I woke up the whole of my family!!

I couldn't go through the pressure all over again, I have never been so scared as I was waiting to go into those interviews, I remember wanting to just turn around and run away!!! but I was fine once I got in there! It was just the waiting that was a killer!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.