The Student Room Group

Is it worth the money to study in the UK?

Hey there. I'm from Portugal and I've been considering studying in the UK since I finished secondary school in 2011 but I am not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Comparing with Portugal, education in the UK is much, much better. There are a ton more courses to choose from, the education is more practical rather than theoretical (unlike in Portugal) and, although tuition fees are very expensive there, UK and EU students have access to the student finance.

BUT.... here's the deal... I had somewhat low grades in secondary school, so I only have a handful of courses I can choose from, which, to begin with, doesn't make me feel very excited about the whole thing. I would probably choose the University of Bedfordshire.
Plus, I have to pay quite a lot of money to a company that will help me out with my application process and student finance, and I mean A LOT of money, not to mention the IELTS test I have to take and, if I don't have the score I need, I will have to pay again for another test. Total it will be around 800€ I will have to spent just for this (I will have to work for 3 months without spending any money just to pay for this).

Then there's the part where either I have to get a personal loan to support myself while in the UK (and there's the risk of after finishing my course I come back to Portugal and can't find a job and will not be able to pay for my loan and then I'm screwed) or get a part-time job in the UK and it's not 100% certain I will get one. And consider my parents can NOT give any money to help me whatsoever, they would if they could, but they can't.

I always have the opportunity of studying in Portugal, without having to get myself into any kind of loan and studying a few months in England through the Erasmus program... But it's not the same as studying and living three years in the UK, which would be an incredible experience and it's always a plus to my curriculum.

What is your advice/ opinion? What would you do? Is it worth it?

Sorry if my English isn't the best, I hope I was clear at least hehe
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JoanaRCK
Hey there. I'm from Portugal and I've been considering studying in the UK since I finished secondary school in 2011 but I am not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Comparing with Portugal, education in the UK is much, much better. There are a ton more courses to choose from, the education is more practical rather than theoretical (unlike in Portugal) and, although tuition fees are very expensive there, UK and EU students have access to the student finance.

BUT.... here's the deal... I had somewhat low grades in secondary school, so I only have a handful of courses I can choose from, which, to begin with, doesn't make me feel very excited about the whole thing. I would probably choose the University of Bedfordshire.
Plus, I have to pay quite a lot of money to a company that will help me out with my application process and student finance, and I mean A LOT of money, not to mention the IELTS test I have to take and, if I don't have the score I need, I will have to pay again for another test. Total it will be around 800€ I will have to spent just for this (I will have to work for 3 months without spending any money just to pay for this).

Then there's the part where either I have to get a personal loan to support myself while in the UK (and there's the risk of after finishing my course I come back to Portugal and can't find a job and will not be able to pay for my loan and then I'm screwed) or get a part-time job in the UK and it's not 100% certain I will get one. And consider my parents can NOT give any money to help me whatsoever, they would if they could, but they can't.

I always have the opportunity of studying in Portugal, without having to get myself into any kind of loan and studying a few months in England through the Erasmus program... But it's not the same as studying and living three years in the UK, which would be an incredible experience and it's always a plus to my curriculum.

What is your advice/ opinion? What would you do? Is it worth it?

Sorry if my English isn't the best, I hope I was clear at least hehe

Personally, I don't think it worth it. You won't benefit that much and it might even be a waste of time. Although people say education is great in the U.K. in terms of Higher education that's mainly due to the likes of the top Russell group unis and in terms of general prospects of work.

Living in Bedfordshire is not going to be all that. I think you are mainly wanting to do for the experience. I would just study in Portugal to be honest without adding huge pressure to yourself. As you mentioned, an erasmus programme could be a good thing. Also, if you actually concentrate on your studies, your time in uni goes quicker than you think, especially for the international students that go back in the holidays.
Is uni in Portugal free? Also what do you want to apply for? Btw your English is very good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would study at home and just do an Erasmus year or semster. The cost of living is stupidly high here compared to Portugal and putting yourself in debt to study in England isn't worth it unless you are attending an internationally renowned University.

You always have the option of doing your masters over seas once you graduate anyway, there are even the erasmus mundus programmes which cover a lot of the cost of studying a masters and lets you expereince more than 1 University.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Whatever you do please take notice of this;

Do NOT ever pay said companies to do your application! It's a very simple process and all it requires is some of your time.

UCAS has everything you need to complete your application.

There is a lot of information about writing your personal statement on the internet. Literally every university has published a guide. Even if you need further help, TSR is a great place to ask (trust me, you'll always get help)!

There is also a lot of information about references as well. Point it out to your teacher and ask if he'd be willing to make a reference for your application. (In European schools, English teachers are usually the best choice).

All in all, do not spend such an amount of money on something you could easily do on your own!
(I've completed the UCAS form on my own, so I know what I am talking about).

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by yabbayabba
Is uni in Portugal free? Also what do you want to apply for? Btw your English is very good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, Uni isn't free in Portugal. I would have to get a loan either way, even if studying in Portugal. The only difference would be the amount of it.
I want to study Media (sound and film), but those courses are very rare and limited here and it's nearly impossible to get a career in the area, I would have to go abroad anyway.

I ended up making my application through the UCAS by myself, it wasn't difficult at all and I didn't spend not even 1/3 of the money I would if I applied through that company. Even if I end up deciding not to study in England, I will not regret the money I spent.
No, Uni isn't free in Portugal. I would have to get a loan either way, even if studying in Portugal. The only difference would be the amount of it.
I want to study Media (sound and film), but those courses are very rare and limited here and it's nearly impossible to get a career in the area, I would have to go abroad anyway.

I ended up making my application through the UCAS by myself, it wasn't difficult at all and I didn't spend not even 1/3 of the money I would if I applied through that company. Even if I end up deciding not to study in England, I will not regret the money I spent.

Well if you see yourself working abroad anyway (most likely in English) and you can't find any course you like in your home country, then I guess studying in the UK is worth it. Yes 9k a year is a lot, but you need to invest in your future.

Though, just to say with the media industry in the UK - it's less about your qualifications, but about work experience. Nobody really cares how clever you are, it's a very experience focused industry

Good luck
Reply 7
I think it would be worth spending some money - a few hundred Euros, to visit the university at least once and experience the place. I know a person who read a Media degree at the (then) University of Luton. He wasn't a strong student, but said he wasn't always happy with the student body. Luton is not known for being a great town to live in, and I would be very careful about committing to live there without visiting first for at least a few days.

Bedfordshire is not a great university, either. If you have other options, or clearing options internationally, I would explore those first.
I'd spend another year studying to improve your grades and get into a better uni. Instead of coming and jumping straight into uni why not come, get a job and study a couple of A-levels part time? There's a variety of qualifications at further education colleges for getting into uni. Access courses may be worth a look.
Reply 9
Have you thought about applying to countries with practically free education like Scandinavia or France?

MORE OR LESS OFF TOPIC QUESTION, do you think that the London's uniqueness as a student city outweighs its costs, specifically if compared to Birmingham? Opinions on this would help me in making the last UCAS choices
Original post by Ombre
Have you thought about applying to countries with practically free education like Scandinavia or France?

MORE OR LESS OFF TOPIC QUESTION, do you think that the London's uniqueness as a student city outweighs its costs, specifically if compared to Birmingham? Opinions on this would help me in making the last UCAS choices

France is unlikely to be an option as you'd need to be fluent in French. Scandinavia is less likely to have as many course options, but yeah it's a worth a look for the OP I think.

Oh London is a hundred times more exciting and diverse than Birmingham. I wouldn't call it a student city though like Leeds or Nottingham. If you want to live in a city, may as well live in London. And yeah, the costs are higher but student finance should cover all that.
Reply 11
I've decided not to apply to Bedfordshire because I've heard bad reviews about it in the past, but that company I talked about pushed me into applying to that University, saying it was the only one I could apply to. Which now, after a good research, I know it's a lie! I will have an interview with the London Met. University, which I think it's a lot better than Bedfordshire, even if it's not the best University out there. My grades are a bit lower than they require, but they will take a look at some of my projects and after the interview we'll see how it goes. At least I'm being given a chance somewhere.

Well... France is out of question because I can't speak French at all.... As for Scandinavia, I've never looked into it... Wouldn't the language be a barrier as well?

EDIT: And I am planning a trip to London either in January or February to get to know the area and the Universities I've applied to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by yabbayabba
Oh London is a hundred times more exciting and diverse than Birmingham. I wouldn't call it a student city though like Leeds or Nottingham. If you want to live in a city, may as well live in London. And yeah, the costs are higher but student finance should cover all that.

Thanks a lot for your insight!

Well... France is out of question because I can't speak French at all.... As for Scandinavia, I've never looked into it... Wouldn't the language be a barrier as well?

Myeah but some bachelor's programmes and/or courses are offered in English, in these unis for example
http://www.kunstakademiet.dk/
www.sada.se
and in many courses where art/film/etc-making techniques are learned the professors are generally willing to translate to English if you ask them nicely
I've decided not to apply to Bedfordshire because I've heard bad reviews about it in the past, but that company I talked about pushed me into applying to that University, saying it was the only one I could apply to. Which now, after a good research, I know it's a lie! I will have an interview with the London Met. University, which I think it's a lot better than Bedfordshire, even if it's not the best University out there. My grades are a bit lower than they require, but they will take a look at some of my projects and after the interview we'll see how it goes. At least I'm being given a chance somewhere.

EDIT: And I am planning a trip to London either in January or February to get to know the area and the Universities I've applied to.

To be honest, I'd class Bedfordshire and London Met as the same sort of university, but the advantage of London Met is that you get to live in London, which is an advantage in itself especially for media as most of the jobs are in London. It seems as you don't have that many options really as you say you have low grades, so perhaps London Met would be one of the better options for you. I imagine they will take you.
As for Scandinavia, I've never looked into it... Wouldn't the language be a barrier as well?

Scandinavia is not a plausible option because the cost of living is high and you won't be able to get a part-time job to support yourself unless you speak the local language. If I were you, I would consider the Netherlands - it has fees but they are much lower than the UK, the cost of living is lower than Scandinavia and you should be able to get a part-time job without speaking Dutch. Plus there are more degrees taught in English there than anywhere else in the EU outside the UK/Ireland. Check out: www.studyinholland.nl for more infomation.
Original post by Ombre

I'd go for Birmingham. You could go to London every Saturday if you wanted for less than the price difference. Student finance does not cover the difference
Reply 16
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I'd go for Birmingham. You could go to London every Saturday if you wanted for less than the price difference. Student finance does not cover the difference

Thanks to you also!
Only if you study in top schools, UK is good or else I would never go there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending