Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much truth is there in the statement/myth (depending on your view) that you need an Oxbridge degree to get anywhere within the foreign office (diplomatic service in particular)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    How much truth is there in the statement/myth (depending on your view) that you need an Oxbridge degree to get anywhere within the foreign office (diplomatic service in particular)?
    None.

ReputationRep:
    jack straw - uni of leeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    jack straw - uni of leeds
    Straw's a politician who was dropped onto the Foreign Office from the top (having been education minister previously). So his experience in no way relates to anyone considering a career within it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Straw's a politician who was dropped onto the Foreign Office from the top (having been education minister previously).
    He was never education minister (although he shadowed education a loooong time ago). He was Home Sec from 1997-2001 then Foreign Sec from 2001-present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    Do you only recruit from Oxbridge?

No! We take the best candidates, wherever they studied. In 1999, 17 per cent of successful policy and operational candidates were Oxbridge, so the vast majority came from universities across the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    He was never education minister (although he shadowed education a loooong time ago). He was Home Sec from 1997-2001 then Foreign Sec from 2001-present.
    Yeah sorry. Got my wires crossed coz Blunkett replaced Straw as Home Secratery having been Education Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    Do you only recruit from Oxbridge?

No! We take the best candidates, wherever they studied. In 1999, 17 per cent of successful policy and operational candidates were Oxbridge, so the vast majority came from universities across the country
    but doesnt that mean that nearly a quarter of all successful applicants came from just two universities? would seem to suggest that it is beneficial to graduate from there but by no means neccessary (damn spelling, is this right? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legon)
    but doesnt that mean that nearly a quarter of all successful applicants came from just two universities? would seem to suggest that it is beneficial to graduate from there but by no means neccessary (damn spelling, is this right? )
    Firstly, it's nearer 1/6 than 1/4. But secondly, graduates from those universities do tend to be relatively capable; they also have a strong tradition of interest in the foreign office and hence are more likely to apply. What we really need is statistics on successful application percentages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Firstly, it's nearer 1/6 than 1/4. But secondly, graduates from those universities do tend to be relatively capable; they also have a strong tradition of interest in the foreign office and hence are more likely to apply. What we really need is statistics on successful application percentages.
    ok ok its nearer a sixth...but even that is still pretty high.
    i wouldnt say they are more inclined to apply to the foreign office though, but i guess thats what we need the figures for.

ReputationRep:
    and if it's 1/6 for both unis, then it's 1/12 for a single one of them. and if you presume that the most capable individuals go to the top 12 unis in the country, then oxbridge's share isn't that large, is it?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that is ture any more from what I can see that was all in the past times have change when only Etons and oxbridge chaps would join the FCO. It now more open to those who have come from very good state school and have worked hard .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor)
    and if it's 1/6 for both unis, then it's 1/12 for a single one of them. and if you presume that the most capable individuals go to the top 12 unis in the country, then oxbridge's share isn't that large, is it?
    well considering you only need a 2:2 i wouldnt think its only the top 12 unis in the country. because the grade is so low people would not be put off from applying from 'lower' universities with higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legon)
    well considering you only need a 2:2 i wouldnt think its only the top 12 unis in the country. because the grade is so low people would not be put off from applying from 'lower' universities with higher grades.
    what exactly is your point?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever the percentage of Oxbridge recruits coming into the foreign office, the question asked was whether an Oxbridge degree was necessary to get anywhere within the foreign office -- i.e. whether Oxbridge graduates are promoted more quickly than others. I doubt there are any public statistics giving details of that.

(Original post by legon)
    I think that 2.2 is just an absolute minimum, so as not to rule out someone with a 2.2 who was very desirable for other reasons. The large majority of applicants would have a 2.1 at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor)
    what exactly is your point?
    think its pretty simple when i say "well considering you only need a 2:2 i wouldnt think its only the top 12 unis in the country". there is really no reason why the majority would be from the top 12 in the country. seems a bit of an arbitary statement.

also when i went to the open day at the fo they made it specifically clear that a 2:2 was more than adequate to get in. it wasnt simply so they didnt overlook people who had a 2:2 but showed more promise elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legon)
    think its pretty simple when i say "well considering you only need a 2:2 i wouldnt think its only the top 12 unis in the country". there is really no reason why the majority would be from the top 12 in the country. seems a bit of an arbitary statement.

also when i went to the open day at the fo they made it specifically clear that a 2:2 was more than adequate to get in. it wasnt simply so they didnt overlook people who had a 2:2 but showed more promise elsewhere.
    a 2:2 from a distinguished uni is worth more than a 2:2 from a Nowhere Poly tho...

but they could also set the requirements to 2:2 to attract more applicants..

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.