Could anxiety be linked to the fear of being racist?

Watch
Made in Tyrone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28967427

It seems as though as people of a majority such as the white ethnicity we are increasingly worried about being racist.

This idea comes after over 1000 children were found to have been groomed in Rotherham.

What are your thoughts? Do you think some people are afraid of speaking out of fear of being accused of being a racist?
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. I do think this is often the case.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. I think there are too many people who will shout racist when it is not the case. It really is a case of Political Correctness gone mad.

I try not to be politically correct because it really takes the fun out of life.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep, definitely, and it is a damn shame.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure accusing someone of being racist is also an act of racism
The Right
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No surprise. The liberal system we have in this country means we can not do anything in case of being done up for racial hatred. Minority groups might get offended if we put an England flag up on our car or if we ask for black coffee or if we take a giant **** outside their house. It sucks to be white and English in this country.
Youis Trollin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you suggesting "The Rain in Rotherham dont seem to bother em" but being called racist does?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Right)
No surprise. The liberal system we have in this country means we can not do anything in case of being done up for racial hatred. Minority groups might get offended if we put an England flag up on our car or if we ask for black coffee or if we take a giant **** outside their house. It sucks to be white and English in this country.
I am white and English and in this country, and I seem to be able to live my life perfectly well without offending minority groups left and right. In my experience you have to go well out of your way to offend one.

(And wtf is the "taking a giant **** outside their house" example? Duh, they're going to be offended! I would be!)
The Right
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I am white and English and in this country, and I seem to be able to live my life perfectly well without offending minority groups left and right. In my experience you have to go well out of your way to offend one.

(And wtf is the "taking a giant **** outside their house" example? Duh, they're going to be offended! I would be!)
Hey it hasn't affected me personally but I was talking for the whole ethnicity as a whole. I probably had one of the most racially diverse group of mates ever and we were always having racist banta with eachother. It was like real life South Park everyday. In fact my school was racially diverse and we were racist to each other everyday and made a laugh out of it.

I thought that was normal
SophiaLDN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What the ****? Anxiety, really? Get a grip.

Say what you wish but if you're being racist don't be surprised when people call you out on it. So if you have a fear of being labelled as racist, here's an idea.. stop being racist.

Those poor children were let down because officials didn't do their job properly & let it carry on for years. "Fear of being called a racist" is not an excuse, its actually pathetic and pretty insulting to the victims.
Made in Tyrone
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by SophiaLDN)
What the ****? Anxiety, really? Get a grip.

Say what you wish but if you're being racist don't be surprised when people call you out on it. So if you have a fear of being labelled as racist, here's an idea.. stop being racist.

Those poor children were let down because officials didn't do their job properly & let it carry on for years. "Fear of being called a racist" is not an excuse, its actually pathetic and pretty insulting to the victims.

I do have a fear of being called racist ... not because I am one, which I'm definitely not ... but because if I say anything to some of an ethnic minority I'll be branded one - well at least I'm worried (anxiety) that I will.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.76%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.82%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
23.53%

Watched Threads