The Student Room Group

How do I mention watching Youtube videos on my Personal Statement?

This is for Maths, so there are lots of interesting things out there that have been recommended by universities (I went to the Open Days) but I'm not sure how to mention these videos into my Personal Statement without sounding like an idiot?
Yo dawgs, this is lightning doritos. I seen those U-tube videos yo been postin around gurl. I was watching my daily dose of PEWWWWWWWDDDDDIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEPIE when dey popped up.
Reply 2
You're not going to get any serious replies about this - just forget any mentioning of youtube videos on the PS.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy. You don't.
Original post by lightningdoritos
This is for Maths, so there are lots of interesting things out there that have been recommended by universities (I went to the Open Days) but I'm not sure how to mention these videos into my Personal Statement without sounding like an idiot?

Can u call them online lectures or online courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I mentioned watching "Documentaries" on my personal statement. Didn't mention that they were on youtube though. (Although in my defence, I had watched actual documentaries about mathematics on youtube alongside short videos on it.)
What was the content of your videos?

If it was from someone well respected in academia, you could say something like, "After listening to lectures made by Joseph Stiglitz, I became interested in the detrimental effects of asymmetrical information."

Or, if it was from those YouTube bloggers, you could say, "I became interested in studying mathematics after I saw a mathematician explaining in terms of mathematics how Legolas, a character from Lord of the Rings, could exert superhuman powers. The use of a concrete discipline to answer unconventional questions has given me a passion to study Maths at a university level."

Basically, spin it so seems lofty. Of course, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply

Latest