The Student Room Group

Biology A Level

:smile: Hey, i was wondering if anybody could advise me, as to what as levels to do in september:

I've already picked,
English lit/lang
History
French
Drama

As for the 5th one, i am not sure, i know i want to do 5 as levels most certainly, and i would like to be a lawyer. I really like Biology and i am fascinated by it, except that if i did Biology as level on its own i am sure people would moan. I once talked to my careers advisor and she explaine d how pointless it would be on its own, as most people take it further into degrees (medicine), she also said the majority of people do as chemistry/physics to complement it. I definitely don't want to do these, but i really want to do As level Biology, with my other subjects will it look stupid, and will universities not like the fact i have as in only one science?

I think it would show all round ability, but most disagree...
What are your thoughts, should i do it? (with no other sciences??)
By the way my teacher thinks i would do well. Plus i want to do Human Biology. I enjoy it.
Reply 1
plz tell me sum1 lol
Reply 2
Personally, i think if you can cope with it go ahead, but remember biology has quite a lot of learning involved and also data response questions, thus you should reconsider your options as it will be demanding.
Another aspect is the fact that biology isn't going to complement your other subjects and will be the odd one out..
good luck in choosing your subjects
zaz
xxx
Reply 3
If you enjoy it, I would do it. What you've got is fine for Law, and in terms of direct utility, there isn't much point in doing any other AS-Level. However all of your other choices are arty, and showing that you can do well in science as well shows you have a good range of abilities so will only come off well. In fact re-reading what you've written, this is exactly what you've said, so yeah, I think you're right. Go for it!
Reply 4
Thank you all! You've given me some other perspectives! :smile:
I am doing biology without another science but i think it complements geography (in minor areas). You don't always have to have a combination of two sciences e.g biological anthropology wouldn't need chem and bio, and a lot of bio degrees don't actually need chemistry. I would advise against human biology though because i've read in a lot of prospectuses "Requirements: biology; not human or social biology". Biology has a hell of a lot of human bio in it anyway, i think they are 75% the same.
Reply 6
Maybe 50-74%, depending on what option modules you take.
Reply 7
gemma.....
:smile: Hey, i was wondering if anybody could advise me, as to what as levels to do in september:

I've already picked,
English lit/lang
History
French
Drama

As for the 5th one, i am not sure, i know i want to do 5 as levels most certainly, and i would like to be a lawyer. I really like Biology and i am fascinated by it, except that if i did Biology as level on its own i am sure people would moan. I once talked to my careers advisor and she explaine d how pointless it would be on its own, as most people take it further into degrees (medicine), she also said the majority of people do as chemistry/physics to complement it. I definitely don't want to do these, but i really want to do As level Biology, with my other subjects will it look stupid, and will universities not like the fact i have as in only one science?

I think it would show all round ability, but most disagree...
What are your thoughts, should i do it? (with no other sciences??)
By the way my teacher thinks i would do well. Plus i want to do Human Biology. I enjoy it.

Do biology if you want to....don't worry about what anyone else says..as long as you know what you want.

I'm applying for law this year....got my first choice uni....and i did bio, maths, physics chem AS levels and dropped chem for A2.....that's crazy...

but as long as you can show unis that you have a real interest in law..then choose the subjects you want!!!!!

Good luck

G
Reply 8
thank you m8..I do have genuine interests in law, and like you say that is much more important than the subjects picked. Also for law there are no specific requirements, only the grades AAB etc...and by picking subjects i enjoy im probably more likely to get high grades!
Reply 9
You crazy girl I am a good student who got mostly A/A*s at GCSE and I was finding 4 AS's just about enough. At some points in the year, and I know i dont speak for myself here, I was finding I could nearly explode with the tests and the coursework to do. So unless you really think you can do it only do 4AS's. Universities wont think any less of you as even the top ones only ask for 3A2's and 1AS.

Good luck if you decide to do 5.
Reply 10
meawinner
You crazy girl I am a good student who got mostly A/A*s at GCSE and I was finding 4 AS's just about enough. At some points in the year, and I know i dont speak for myself here, I was finding I could nearly explode with the tests and the coursework to do. So unless you really think you can do it only do 4AS's. Universities wont think any less of you as even the top ones only ask for 3A2's and 1AS.

Good luck if you decide to do 5.

I have had that comment many a time lol...many people say i am crazy, but i have already experienced the workloads of AS, as i have already done one, and i am now doing another..critical thinking,i guess i just thrive on big workloads, and also i like so many subjects i just can't pick the right paths to go down! I know what you are saying, i am a bit strange to do this, but i talked to my teachers, and they said i should be okay. I always have 300 things going on at the same time, it's just how i am..but thanks for clarifying it.. :rolleyes: I'm just one of those stupid people who like to put more on their plate LOL
Reply 11
gemma.....
thank you m8..I do have genuine interests in law, and like you say that is much more important than the subjects picked. Also for law there are no specific requirements, only the grades AAB etc...and by picking subjects i enjoy im probably more likely to get high grades!

EXACTLY!!!!! Don't try and anticipate what unis want....best to do something you enjoy. :smile:

G
Reply 12
a really intelligent girl in the year below took 5 AS's and did really bad-big surprise. There really is no need to do so many. it's better to do really well in 4 (A's or whatever) than ok in loads. I really would reconsider taking so many as it is a hell of a jump from gcse's to A level. Universities don't particularly credit u for extra A levels-especially if it's meant lower grades.

as 4 biology....it's really interesting but a hell of a lot to learn.

Don't push yourself by doing too many, push yourself to get high grades.

I'm going in 4 medicine and a lot of prople did 5 AS and 4 Alevels. I did 4 AS and 3 A levels and i got accepted where many got rejected- it obviously didn't put me at a disadvantage. Remember u need extra curricular activities and experience too!

soz to be critical. good luck next year
Reply 13
I am aiming mainly for A*'s in GCSE's and I too plan to do five A levels next year.

I want to do:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Further Maths

I was shocked to see the discouragement for doing five in this thread. Do you think that with further maths as a fifth it is more managable?
samdavyson
I am aiming mainly for A*'s in GCSE's and I too plan to do five A levels next year.

I want to do:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Further Maths

I was shocked to see the discouragement for doing five in this thread. Do you think that with further maths as a fifth it is more managable?

Very good choice of subjects. Do you need to do further maths though? Getting A-grades in the other four would be impressive enough. The workload depends on your school timetable and your study habits. Talk to your teachers as well.
Reply 15
I'm doing the exact same subjects.

Not too bad a workload, until the coursework comes in all at once.
Reply 16
AS bio is modertaely hard, covers, reproduction, ECOLOGY and cells in genral, only a little more advancde that that met in the O-level. its quite easy if you give it 20 minutes a day ull do great!!!
Reply 17
samdavyson

I want to do:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Further Maths

I agree here. There is a whole bout of pessimisn about doing five. I understand there is a workload, i am not a naive person...I know there is alot of commitment and hardwork involved, i am a person hwo thrives off hard work...I am not saying i will do 4 a levels (fully)..maybe i will drop 2 as levels, but i am a person who enjoys learning, and it isn't a case of attracting universities,i am doing an as level now...this shows i am just a highly motivated person..who enjoys learning new things..I am also an all rounder who finds it hard to pick paths to go down and courses. In due course maybe i will drop the as level and i may find it stenuous and hard..thats how i am, it may be hard..but the case here was debating Biology not 5 as levels. Whatever i am...stupid etc...I am an optimistic person, and if it is foolish to take five i will realise and drop it.
Reply 18
I'm doing the exact same subjects.

Not too bad a workload, until the coursework comes in all at once.

What do you plan to be?

And is it boring etc? too narrow?
Reply 19
samdavyson
What do you plan to be?

And is it boring etc? too narrow?

I want to be a medic, as for "boring" well, it dependson your personal point of view. As for being too narrow, well I would only advise this selection if you have a narrow band of career choice already mapped out.

Latest

Trending

Trending