The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is Durham like

Hi, I'm starting to look at unis, and am having a hard time narrowing down which unis I'm going to go to open days for - right now there's 12... Anyone at Durham?
1) What type of people do you generally get at Durham?
2) What are the performing arts societies like?
3) Is there a big booze culture?
4) What is accommodation like? I'm sure it varies from college to college but just generally...
5) In self catered accommodation what are the kitchens like? Again, I'm sure it varies but...
6) Anyone doing geography - opinions?
7) Anyone doing law - opinions?
Thanks!!
1) Majority of students are white, middle-class
2) Very good, I know of several Durham student productions who performed at Edinburgh fringe this year
3) I think that's very dependent on your circle of friends
4) You said it yourself, it varies massively from college to college. I only have experience of one of the 14(16) colleges so it'd be hard to extrapolate; if ours is anything to go by, it's reasonable.
5) The kitchens are spacious or cramped, depending on which self-catered accommodation you end up in
6) not a clue
7) not a clue
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have a mate who is studying at Durham and have visited him there a few times. Its a nice picturesque place too visit but is WAY too small for my liking. I'd agree with Rooster523 that the majority of students are white, middle class and predominantly oxbridge rejects in all fairness. The halls I stayed in whilst I was there were really nice and modern. The nightlife is okay but theres only around 3 nightclubs so not much variety. I'm pretty sure someone told me one of them has been voted the worst nightclub in Europe. Booze culture would probably be dependent on your group of friends there. Rowing appears to be a something they pride themselves upon and each college has their own boathouse along the river.

You should definitely go to the open day though. It is an stunning place to visit.

Attached a few photos. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 06shawm
I have a mate who is studying at Durham and have visited him there a few times. Its a nice picturesque place too visit but is WAY too small for my liking. I'd agree with Rooster523 that the majority of students are white, middle class and predominantly oxbridge rejects in all fairness. The halls I stayed in whilst I was there were really nice and modern. The nightlife is okay but theres only around 3 nightclubs so not much variety. I'm pretty sure someone told me one of them has been voted the worst nightclub in Europe. Booze culture would probably be dependent on your group of friends there. Rowing appears to be a something they pride themselves upon and each college has their own boathouse along the river.

You should definitely go to the open day though. It is an stunning place to visit.

Bold is incorrect, italics is correct. Klute (the club in question) is in fact, the best night club in Europe
Reply 4
Thanks guys, definitely planning on taking a look but it won't be until summer cause I can't make the open day in september :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by 06shawm

Thanks for the pics!! I definitely want to go and have a look but can't till summer :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by nmnorgan305
Thanks for the pics!! I definitely want to go and have a look but can't till summer :frown:

No problem! Book your tickets early for the best deals (if your travelling far from home). :biggrin:

What course are you interested in studying? :smile:
Reply 7
Either geography or law - my preference changes pretty much from day to day but I think in the end geography is likely to be the option I go for because apparently law firms prefer to hire people who've converted to law degrees rather than just done straight law. May or may not be true but...

Quick Reply

Latest