Lauren-fm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello! I'm starting Bristol in september 2014 to study experimental psychology and have had an email about choosing open units. I've been looking at the open units catalogue and it has options such as 'Introduction to biological psychology', can we take this as an open unit or is it already covered in year one? Do I choose an open unit from another school or can it be from the psychology school? Thank you in advance for any help!! I'm trying to send my options off quickly before they fill up! xx
dan673
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i'm studying philosophy, but 'open units' are units from other courses that are "open" to be taken by whoever. units like that (introduction to biological psychology) are either mandatory, or can be chosen as an "optional unit" within the course (though i imagine that unit is probably mandatory)
Lauren-fm
Rep:
?
(Original post by dan673)
i'm studying philosophy, but 'open units' are units from other courses that are "open" to be taken by whoever. units like that (introduction to biological psychology) are either mandatory, or can be chosen as an "optional unit" within the course (though i imagine that unit is probably mandatory)
Thank you dan! I checked and it is any unit from another school also, could I ask what accommodation you're in?
Georgia22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do you send off your options? I received an email but it didn't say anything about choosing them before we arrive or anything
Lauren-fm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgia22)
How do you send off your options? I received an email but it didn't say anything about choosing them before we arrive or anything
I got a follow up email with a link to the form! You give a first, second and third preference and need to do it by the 7th which ones are you thinking?
Georgia22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lauren-fm)
I got a follow up email with a link to the form! You give a first, second and third preference and need to do it by the 7th which ones are you thinking?
Oh well I'm doing Physiological Science not Psychology so maybe it's different for different departments as I definitely haven't had a follow up email
Lauren-fm
Rep:
?
Oh well I'm doing Physiological Science not Psychology so maybe it's different for different departments as I definitely haven't had a follow up email
ah yeah I think it is! you might not have to choose them, I'd email the department just in case
emma1220
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

First off, you are the only other person I have found who is doing physiological science! I have been thinking I would be alone the whole year! I wouldn't worry, I haven't had a follow-up email either. I think they said that we would only get one if one of our units is full.
Georgia22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emma1220)
First off, you are the only other person I have found who is doing physiological science! I have been thinking I would be alone the whole year! I wouldn't worry, I haven't had a follow-up email either. I think they said that we would only get one if one of our units is full.
Oh hello! There is a group on Facebook for Bristol Freshers where a lot of people have posted that they are doing Physiological Science
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lauren-fm)
Hello! I'm starting Bristol in september 2014 to study experimental psychology and have had an email about choosing open units. I've been looking at the open units catalogue and it has options such as 'Introduction to biological psychology', can we take this as an open unit or is it already covered in year one? Do I choose an open unit from another school or can it be from the psychology school? Thank you in advance for any help!! I'm trying to send my options off quickly before they fill up! xx
Psychology already has intro to biological psychology - that is only for students who are not taking psychology as their main course. If you look on 'myBristol' the timetable should be up now with the specifics.

Anyway, for single honours psychology, this is what you get for first year, although it might have changed for 2014 and onwards (I think they were thinking of renaming some things):
Mandatory courses - social, biological, developmental and cognitive psychology. stats all year.
Optional courses - you can pick two 'open units' off the catalogue. Obviously not including the ones you are already taking. iirc in the beginning of the year you get to go to an open unit fair to check out the different options, and even if you start an open unit you get the chance to switch out of it to something else if you don't like it (but the earlier you do so the better).

Let me know if you have any other psychology questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
52.85%
No (190)
47.15%

Watched Threads