The Student Room Group

A2 Choices

I'm in a bit of a predicament and would like a bit of advice. For my AS results I achieved the following:

General Studies - A
Geography - A
Physics - B
Maths - C
Computing - C

I plan on studying either computer science (or some computing related course), or aerospace engineering at university. I'm definitely doing maths and physics as they are important for the courses. I'm planning on dropping one subject as I only need three for the university courses and would allow me to focus on them more. The problem is which subject to drop, and is between Geography and Computing.

I achieved a higher grade in Geography and the teachers are much better, so I believe that I would be able to achieve a higher grade in Geography, as I find it easier. I wouldn't have to resit any Geography exams.

Computing is more relevant to the courses I want to study at university however, and I enjoy it more. However I'd have to resit a unit to bring my grade up, plus I would have to put in a lot more work since the teacher isn't great, just to bring my grade up to the same level as Geography. Even then, I would only have one resit (as there are no Jan exams), and so it's a risk taking it, in case I mess up in the exam again.

As I understand, you only put down 3 complete AS grades on the UCAS form, so my question is, what would be better, a higher grade or a more relevant subject (with a lower grade potentially)? I'd like to play it safe and take Geography but I enjoy computing more.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by dannyoboy007
I'm in a bit of a predicament and would like a bit of advice. For my AS results I achieved the following:

General Studies - A
Geography - A
Physics - B
Maths - C
Computing - C

I plan on studying either computer science (or some computing related course), or aerospace engineering at university. I'm definitely doing maths and physics as they are important for the courses. I'm planning on dropping one subject as I only need three for the university courses and would allow me to focus on them more. The problem is which subject to drop, and is between Geography and Computing.

I achieved a higher grade in Geography and the teachers are much better, so I believe that I would be able to achieve a higher grade in Geography, as I find it easier. I wouldn't have to resit any Geography exams.

Computing is more relevant to the courses I want to study at university however, and I enjoy it more. However I'd have to resit a unit to bring my grade up, plus I would have to put in a lot more work since the teacher isn't great, just to bring my grade up to the same level as Geography. Even then, I would only have one resit (as there are no Jan exams), and so it's a risk taking it, in case I mess up in the exam again.

As I understand, you only put down 3 complete AS grades on the UCAS form, so my question is, what would be better, a higher grade or a more relevant subject (with a lower grade potentially)? I'd like to play it safe and take Geography but I enjoy computing more.

Thanks in advance.

Even though computing may be a more relevant subject, it is unlikely to actually required, therefore a higher grade in geography would be better and may be the difference between you getting a place or not.
Am I right in my understanding of how UCAS works though? You put down your 4 currently achieved grades when you apply for your courses (up to five choices), and then when you complete your Alevels you put down your complete grades (AS+A2 combined) before you are about to go there, so you get an offer?

Why do they make you apply to the course and write down your AS grades even though they may not be final? (as in you may choose to resit the AS grades and so they may change)

Also, if I was to choose Geography, would I still have to resit the computing module to bring it back up to an A, or would there be no point since I only need 3 grades to apply to my university course? When you apply to the course, if I was to drop one, can I put down three complete A level grades and 1 AS grade, or are you only able to put down the complete grades (and not the one you dropped)?

Quick Reply

Latest