Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that GCSE students taking the 2005 exam are not allowed to take their notes in their anthology book with them to the exam, if so this suck as years before me could and we now have it much harder.
    :mad: UNFAIR :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yes apparently so. I am doing my gcses this year and we are only allowd limited annotations. One or two words otherwise its considered a phrase! Lol, and words only! I think we should be allowed to annotate them however we like.

ReputationRep:
    Think so; I think people doing the exam this year can still take books in, but are only allowed very brief annotations, then from next year onwards it's all closed-book exams. It's rather unfortunate, but remember that if you choose A level English you have to do a closed-book exam anyway (mine involved Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights), so it's good practise in a sadistic sense! In any case, even if you can take the text into the exam, you still have to know it really well if you want a high mark, as you can't waste loads of time trying to find quotes. It's really not that terrible - you'll be surprised at how much detail and how many quotes you are capable of memorising without even trying, and it would be unfair for the examiners to expect your essays to contain the same level of detail as is possible if you have the text in front of you.

ReputationRep:
    calm down man, I had the same thing.
    It's no biggy it just means u annotate!
    It's not hard.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately it's true! i'm doing my english GCSE 2005 and we're not allowed to take notes into the GCSE! what my teacher has done is photocopied the anthology (the poems that we're doing) and given sheets to us so we can learn and write notes etc. on them as we are not allowed to take them into the GCSE, we get to have the actuall anotholgy with us

ReputationRep:
    yeah tis true, luckily i did mine last year. However by the time you've gone over it a thousand and 1 times, you will be able to remember everything believe me, i can still remember it now! Some people say no anno is actually better 'cos it makes you think more about how to apply what you have learnt to the question. Not sure if i agree, english was my weak point, couldn't do much thinking!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.