What is better to do either AS Business Studies or AS ICT?

Watch
marion771
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My other AS options are Maths, Further Maths and Computing. I will probably want to study Computer Science at university.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say business studies.

Computing + ICT coursework would make you want to step on lego.
Sayonara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe ICT isn't that useful for Computer Science. You're already taking Computing, Maths and Further Maths. Those three subjects are very useful.

Take Physics. It's a course that many Computer Science departments like. If you're good at maths, it will help your physics.

For AS, I took Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Physics and ICT.
I dropped Computing (because it wasn't timetabled) but ICT was the MOST workload (for me) due to the amount of coursework (Edexcel).
Alexithymia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took both Business Studies and ICT for both years. I would say Business Studies is "better" to do as like 8472 said, the coursework kills. I was able to cope with it, thankfully but not many people in my class were able to do so. Business is quite interesting once you get the hang of it, it just requires a lot of patience.
Lyrius
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to do Computer Science, it is better to do something like physics.

I am doing AS ICT right now and it is VERY boring.
marion771
Rep:
?
(Original post by cassicles)
I took both Business Studies and ICT for both years. I would say Business Studies is "better" to do as like 8472 said, the coursework kills. I was able to cope with it, thankfully but not many people in my class were able to do so. Business is quite interesting once you get the hang of it, it just requires a lot of patience.
In ICT I already have D* which is equivalent to 4 A* (GCSE). So the coursework is not a big issue. At my college the exam board is WJEC. How big part is the coursework?
theresheglows
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by marion771)
My other AS options are Maths, Further Maths and Computing. I will probably want to study Computer Science at university.
If you're doing computing you don't need to do ICT, and there is a lot of crossover between them which isn't good. Physics would be better than either if you want to do computer science, but if you don't want to do that then business might be better than ICT. Check as well that the computer science courses you want to apply to consider maths & FM to be separate A-level subjects.
Alexithymia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In ICT I already have D* which is equivalent to 4 A* (GCSE). So the coursework is not a big issue. At my college the exam board is WJEC. How big part is the coursework?
It depends on what exam board your sixth form/college is doing. I just finished my A2 year and during both years, the coursework and exam were both under the AQA exam board. In AS, about 40% of the coursework counted, I think I can't be too sure now. But in the second year, the coursework played a bigger part. My teacher did tell us that this year ICT at that college would be switching boards to the WJEC exam board, so I don't know if that works for all colleges. You'll have to find out and see if it's something you can handle.
marion771
Rep:
?
(Original post by cassicles)
It depends on what exam board your sixth form/college is doing. I just finished my A2 year and during both years, the coursework and exam were both under the AQA exam board. In AS, about 40% of the coursework counted, I think I can't be too sure now. But in the second year, the coursework played a bigger part. My teacher did tell us that this year ICT at that college would be switching boards to the WJEC exam board, so I don't know if that works for all colleges. You'll have to find out and see if it's something you can handle.
What kind of things did you had to do in coursework? How long did the college gave time for you to complete the coursework? What grade did you got overall?
Alexithymia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What kind of things did you had to do in coursework? How long did the college gave time for you to complete the coursework? What grade did you got overall?
In the first year, we had to build a system that a small business such as like a corner shop would use. In the second year, we built another system but it was for a larger organisation such as a library or maybe a supermarket. Most of us in the class used Microsoft spreadsheet software as it was the most available and more people knew about it. In my college, the teacher taught the exam material and coursework things side by side, in both years. For example, in the double lesson on Monday, we'd have coursework stuff, then on the double on Thursday it'd be exam material etc. However, towards the deadline of when the coursework had to be handed in (about a month or so before exam) we'd spend more time on coursework. Teachers will help you if you need help as long as you know you're putting in the effort to do things on your own too. I got an A overall, close to an A*.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure if its the same for you but at my college the Computing and ICT A2 coursework both involved databases, you could use the database created in ICT as a basis for your Computing programming project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads