Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys know why the course is called "Computing" rather than "Comp Sci"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Do any of you guys know why the course is called "Computing" rather than "Comp Sci"?
    in my opinion, "Comp Sci" is to learning how computers work and "Computing" is to learn not only how computers work but also how to make them work...

our director of studies said:

"

We train first rate engineers not scientists.

Scientists are people who understand their
    world.

Engineers are people who build products that
    work.

First rate engineers must understand as well
    as build.

"

ReputationRep:
    Probably has to do with the fact that you graduate with a BEng/MEng degree rather than a BSci/MSci degree. However all of this is them trying to sell the course and nothing more in my opinion. Content wise you'll basically be doing a Computer Science degree similar to that offered by other top unis e.g. Manchester, Warwick etc (except with maybe 10x the workload ;-) ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness)
    Probably has to do with the fact that you graduate with a BEng/MEng degree rather than a BSci/MSci degree. However all of this is them trying to sell the course and nothing more in my opinion. Content wise you'll basically be doing a Computer Science degree similar to that offered by other top unis e.g. Manchester, Warwick etc (except with maybe 10x the workload ;-) ).
    1x the work load like e.g. Manchester, Warwick to learn the theory and 9x the workload to be trained as a real engineer?

if so, the course is really worth buying lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiefei_ma)
    1x the work load like e.g. Manchester, Warwick to learn the theory and 9x the workload to be trained as a real engineers?

LOL. I'll leave it open to interpretation!

Probably has to do with the fact that you graduate with a BEng/MEng degree rather than a BSci/MSci degree.
    I was told that this was the reason. My tutor was under the impression that it would seem strange to do a degree in Computer *Science* and then recieve as BEng or MEng for it. I think we can safely assume that the "training engineers" things is a bit of a marketing tool (Manchester offer an MEng course too)!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiefei_ma)
    1x the work load like e.g. Manchester, Warwick to learn the theory and 9x the workload to be trained as a real engineer?

that was a joke only!

ReputationRep:
    Content wise you'll basically be doing a Computer Science degree similar to that offered by other top unis e.g. Manchester, Warwick etc (except with maybe 10x the workload ;-) ).
    Oh great, I'm working hard now, so that I get to work doubly hard at uni too!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I like the name "Computer Science" more. Computing sounds more like adding and multiplying to me, like "compute this equation for me"... ok I'll shut up now.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.