The Student Room Group

UCAS 5th Non-Medical Option Ideas?

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jatyization
Hello there, I will be applying to medical school this September/October. I was thinking however about the unpleasant idea that i may not get the A-Levels i need for medical school so i will have a 5th Non-Medical option for GEM. I know it is more competitive but it may be the only route into UK medical schools if i don't get the A-Level grades. So i have the following choice of degrees:

Molecular Genetics (KCL)

Biomedical sciences (KCL)

Or Another degree, as i am open to suggestions

So are there any other degrees you recommend?

I do not know an awful lot about Molecular Genetics, So i wanted to ask the question, Is there a lot of calculations involved in the degree? I am absolutely S.hit at calculations (sorry for the technical language) but i do thoroughly find genetics and genetic diseases interesting.

How is Biomedical sciences? Does it involve a lot of calculations?

Just How difficult is it to get a 1st in these University degrees? Which degree is the least difficult?

I know some of these questions are very subjective and obvious but i have not done a whole lot of research outside undergraduate medicine so your help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Apply to something at somewhere will you will a) have a lot of fun and b) definitely get a first. On that basis, UCL and KCL might not be great shouts.. You absolutely must get a minimum of a 2i, ideally a first. That is more important than where you go/what you study. A first from a polytechnic will stand you in better stead than a 2i from UCL in terms of getting in to medicine.
There's a course called medical pharmacology at Cardiff Uni. It's 3 years long and you can apply for graduate medicine (if you end up not getting the grades for undergraduate, wish you the best of luck!) at the end of the three years provided that you pass all the assessments and etc but then again you'll need to have also achieved a first (2:1).

The course includes biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, drug development, immunology and other elements you can check this link for more information: http://coursefinder.cardiff.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/detail/b210.html
i have the same problem ... I was thinking medicinal chemistry at UCL but i am not sure they would consider me because this is a chemistry degree and i have a medicine personal statement. I was also thinking biomedicial science at KCL or queen mary...don't know which is better in terms of being able to get a first and then there is also neuroscience and medical genetics but i have a question...can you apply to any science related degree with a medicine personal statement as your 5th choice ?
If you choose to study at certain universities i.e. Leicester, Bradford(maybe), I can't really remember you'd have to google it, they offer the opportunity to switch from your first year of biomedical sciences into medicine, eliminating the need for a gap year, or wasting your time on a full degree that you ultimately don't want.
Hello there, I will be applying to medical school this September/October. I was thinking however about the unpleasant idea that i may not get the A-Levels i need for medical school so i will have a 5th Non-Medical option for GEM. I know it is more competitive but it may be the only route into UK medical schools if i don't get the A-Level grades. So i have the following choice of degrees:

Molecular Genetics (KCL)

Biomedical sciences (KCL)

Or Another degree, as i am open to suggestions

So are there any other degrees you recommend?

I do not know an awful lot about Molecular Genetics, So i wanted to ask the question, Is there a lot of calculations involved in the degree? I am absolutely S.hit at calculations (sorry for the technical language) but i do thoroughly find genetics and genetic diseases interesting.

How is Biomedical sciences? Does it involve a lot of calculations?

Just How difficult is it to get a 1st in these University degrees? Which degree is the least difficult?

I know some of these questions are very subjective and obvious but i have not done a whole lot of research outside undergraduate medicine so your help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

There are more universities than KCL! Biomedical sciences is a degree offered by many institutions. Variants on genetics are too.

Genetics will involve a lot of data analysis and probably will be quite mathematical yes. Why don't you look at some websites though and see what they say.

Have you considered the gap year option? If you are 100% determined to get into medicine, that offers a greater likelihood of getting in. Grad entry is too competitive to use as a backup when you're already certain - its there for people who decide later on really.
Original post by Sambo2
Apply to something at somewhere will you will a) have a lot of fun and b) definitely get a first. On that basis, UCL and KCL might not be great shouts.. You absolutely must get a minimum of a 2i, ideally a first. That is more important than where you go/what you study. A first from a polytechnic will stand you in better stead than a 2i from UCL in terms of getting in to medicine.

Source?
Can we add the 5th choice after October and before January?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by MrSupernova
Source?

A close family member who is dean of a medical school.. must say I was unconvinced but they maintained it to be true
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Can we add the 5th choice after October and before January?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Can we make another personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you can only have 1 for all your applications unless your 5th choice contact you separately and ask you to supply one
Oh right... Do you think a medicine personal statement will be acceptable on a medical pharmacology course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. My friend applied to both medicine and pharmacology at Manchester and they never requested another personal statement. I'd presume it is university specific on how they would deal with situations like this though. Just make sure your PS is 100% aimed at medicine!! :biggrin:
Thanks so much for your help! Its so stressful deciding... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :biggrin: Don't worry, life sciences are always receiving medicine personal statements. There used to it. :tongue:
Original post by 06shawm
Yeah. My friend applied to both medicine and pharmacology at Manchester and they never requested another personal statement. I'd presume it is university specific on how they would deal with situations like this though. Just make sure your PS is 100% aimed at medicine!! :biggrin:

Can your 5th choice be, say Physics or Chemical engineering even though you are applying for medicine? Is it likely that they will ask for a separate personal statement?

Thanks
Reply 14
I put Medical Sciences at Exeter :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending