The Student Room Group

3D cameras

I need to write paper about 3D cameras and how they work. I was searching on internet but didn't find enough (only basic things). If anyone has some useful links and resources that would be great.

Thanks.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by thejoker000
I need to write paper about 3D cameras and how they work. I was searching on internet but didn't find enough (only basic things). If anyone has some useful links and resources that would be great.

Thanks.

What kind of 3D camera? Stereoscopic or Time-of-Flight?

Wikipedia has a few useful links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_camera
Reply 3
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
What kind of 3D camera? Stereoscopic or Time-of-Flight?

Wikipedia has a few useful links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_camera

I should write about 3D cameras that are used for actual filming (movies, pictures...). Where are Time-of-Flight cameras used? I would like to find details about Stereoscopic cameras (how they work, arhitecture...).
I should write about 3D cameras that are used for actual filming (movies, pictures...). Where are Time-of-Flight cameras used? I would like to find details about Stereoscopic cameras (how they work, arhitecture...).

Ah. ToF cameras are mostly used in scientific applications, where you need to derive an accurate 3D model from the scene (by running some kind of regression on the resulting point cloud). They are usually pretty low resolution and often don't have colour.

That's the only type I have used unfortunately. I don't know much about stereo cameras.

Aren't they basically just cameras with 2 lenses? If you record images from both lenses, and play them back each to one eye, the scene looks 3D.

I suspect most of the details will be trade secrets that you probably won't have access to.
Reply 5
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Ah. ToF cameras are mostly used in scientific applications, where you need to derive an accurate 3D model from the scene (by running some kind of regression on the resulting point cloud). They are usually pretty low resolution and often don't have colour.

That's the only type I have used unfortunately. I don't know much about stereo cameras.

Aren't they basically just cameras with 2 lenses? If you record images from both lenses, and play them back each to one eye, the scene looks 3D.

I suspect most of the details will be trade secrets that you probably won't have access to.

Thank you. Yes, they are basically just cameras with 2 lenses or 1 lence and mirror rings, but I need to write 20 pages about them :-D.

Thanks again.
Thank you. Yes, they are basically just cameras with 2 lenses or 1 lence and mirror rings, but I need to write 20 pages about them :-D.

Thanks again.

Ah well good luck with that! It does look like publicly accessible information is quite sparse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending