Mobinalimbu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Guys i start my college this September and i wanted to know is college any better than school ??? Also how is A-level Photography if any one has done it ???
Nangnang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't help with the photography thing but I can say that in my opinion college is a million times better than school it depends how much you liked school though
MALL COP
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
College is way better in my opinion, a lot of the immature kids are weeded out (not all of them unfortunately)
*Xena*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm starting on the 4th! Anyone who took all the sciences and maths have any advice?
Alexithymia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In regards to A-Level photography, look at this conversation between myself and another person who took it. Take it as you will, but it's first hand experience. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post49929211

College is as well as you want it to be. If you put in the work and have passion for your chosen subject, you'll enjoy it! Hope this helps.
vee_wuvshugs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MALL COP)
College is way better in my opinion, a lot of the immature kids are weeded out (not all of them unfortunately)
I can say the exact same thing about school.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by *Xena*)
Hey I'm starting on the 4th! Anyone who took all the sciences and maths have any advice?
Do Past Papers. :yes:
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My biggest mistake in my life was choosing college over sixthform.

something to consider..

You can always go to college next year - you only get the chance to go to sixthform once.
*Xena*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Do Past Papers. :yes:

OKAY! Where can I find them? :confused:
PythianLegume
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by *Xena*)
OKAY! Where can I find them? :confused:
On exam board websites, or your school/college may have them on their databases.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Theres always gonna be really good colleges and crappy colleges and likewise sixth forms. So best to assess your college individually compared to your alternatives.

Bhat you can say about colleges is that you won't see many little kids scrambling about in the corridor, thinking they're better than you
JasonASConnolly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I went to college to do my a levels and dropped out after two months. Went back to school the next year.
AstroNandos
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Protagoras)
My biggest mistake in my life was choosing college over sixthform.

something to consider..

You can always go to college next year - you only get the chance to go to sixthform once.
Can I ask why you thought it was a mistake picking college over sixthform?
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought college would be better for me but I felt really alone and found it hard to make friends as all my friends were at sixth form.

I found this affected my learning and I have always felt I should have gone to sixthform as I believe being in surroundings that I am already comfortable with and around people that I already know would have been more supportive and better for me.

I don't think I would have this problem now as I have done university and so older but at the time I was 16 and just found it hard to cope with.

Plus I was more academic (interested in political science etc.) and college was full of hairdressers and beauty therapists flirting with the mechanics with their cars and the whole thing was really chavy and I hated it..
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
College was the best two year of my life
Mobinalimbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nangnang)
I can't help with the photography thing but I can say that in my opinion college is a million times better than school it depends how much you liked school though
I hated school so much and the uniform... eurgh :rolleyes:
Mobinalimbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by cassicles)
In regards to A-Level photography, look at this conversation between myself and another person who took it. Take it as you will, but it's first hand experience. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post49929211

College is as well as you want it to be. If you put in the work and have passion for your chosen subject, you'll enjoy it! Hope this helps.
Thank you
Mobinalimbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by MALL COP)
Thats true but sad not all of them
Mobinalimbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protagoras)
I thought college would be better for me but I felt really alone and found it hard to make friends as all my friends were at sixth form.

I found this affected my learning and I have always felt I should have gone to sixthform as I believe being in surroundings that I am already comfortable with and around people that I already know would have been more supportive and better for me.

I don't think I would have this problem now as I have done university and so older but at the time I was 16 and just found it hard to cope with.

Plus I was more academic (interested in political science etc.) and college was full of hairdressers and beauty therapists flirting with the mechanics with their cars and the whole thing was really chavy and I hated it..
Whats the difference between college and sixth form ?
Nangnang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mobinalimbu)
Whats the difference between college and sixth form ?
Sixth form is where you carry on at school, doing your A-levels there. Where I live hardly any schools have sixth forms so virtually everyone goes to college but in some places they're more common. College is when you leave school and go to somewhere that only does further education stuff like A-levels, BTechs, etc. You normally have more freedom in college but this causes some people not to do the work and so if you're not very self motivated sixth form is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise